Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times

Advertisements

We saved a bit of money, but if my husband needs a nursing home it will go in a year. He is 72 and I am 74. But we get about $50,000 a year in retirement income. He gets $32,000 plus social security, and I get social security, not much. I know that a nursing home costs at least $50,000 a year. After our savings are gone, then what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Best to get with social/case worker to help find out those answers.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Best to get with social/case worker to help find out those answers.
I am seeing a hospital social worker this week, and I will ask what she thinks. But Ii wonder if there is a government agency I can call. I spoke to Medicare and the rep gave me information, but Medicare is not Medicaid.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:20 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,947 times
Medicaid, if you qualify. You might research the details for your state, since you don't mention where you live.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,947 times
To expound a little, we are in Texas and worked with an Elder Care Attorney's office. They were able to help us get my dad qualified for Medicaid, after he had been suddenly admitted to a nursing care facility. It can take several months (we were approved after 5 months) so if you know ahead of time, it's best to do some of the paperwork then.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times
Usually you have to spend down your savings, sell off assets, then the facility charges what they charge and uses part or all of Medicare benefit you get monthly and what ever other income you receive then medicaid kicks in when you short paying for the monthly facility fees. You will get a monthly stipend for personal expenses. There is protection for the spouse that is not in a facility yet, it's complicated and best to consult a elder attorney.

A friend of my moms husband is in a nursing home and the elder attorney had her take everything out of husbands name, deed of home, summer camper/association they own a part in, car, bank accounts, everything, so he would qualify for medicaid aid, or something.. But it can be complicated and some people, maybe not with spouse, but their children can get in big trouble with transferring assets out of a persons control who then qualifies for medicaid. They call it a "look back" and go back 7 years or so regarding asset transfers. People get sued by the government to get back money and assets if they end up on medicaid and assets disappeared.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
I am no expert. There are some in this forum who will illuminate you with details. Short form is all your assets are passed on to the State and Medicaid takes care of your bills after Medicare is used up.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I am no expert. There are some in this forum who will illuminate you with details. Short form is all your assets are passed on to the State and Medicaid takes care of your bills after Medicare is used up.
Well, thanks for all your answers. Guess it's time for me to see an elder law attorney.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Medicaid, if you qualify. You might research the details for your state, since you don't mention where you live.
I live in Pennsylvania, but we receive pension + social security. I'm pretty sure that puts us over the eligible line, and I'm just afraid I won't be able to take care of him. Because we make in retirement and social security less than what a nursing home would cost. But we'll see. I have faith and have to keep reminding myself of that faith. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
You do make too much but you can shield the money using a disability trust. Look into it since the Medicaid social worker isn't going to tell you about it but they will tell you if you mention it.
It's a lifesaver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance