Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 12:08 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times

Advertisements

As someone else mentioned read Checkbook's evaluation of FEHB offerings.

I have had GEHA which is evidently managed by ETNA, one poster commented that GEHA's drug offerings are expensive. I didn't notice as I have only 2 medications and they are generic. With Medicare B there are no co-pays.

Drill down on the details as everyone's situation is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 11:56 AM

I submitted the paperwork to bring my husband back on FEHB last week. I noted that I was currently on GEHA individual but wished to sign up for the Kaiser NW family plan. FEHB sent me an email yesterday that said done on their side, this morning I received an auto call from Kaiser telling me they have our enrollment info. The email said that my husband could stay on FEHB if I predeceased him if I provided a survivor benefit (which I did).

Amazing!

Old 11-05-2020, 12:47 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I submitted the paperwork to bring my husband back on FEHB last week. I noted that I was currently on GEHA individual but wished to sign up for the Kaiser NW family plan. FEHB sent me an email yesterday that said done on their side, this morning I received an auto call from Kaiser telling me they have our enrollment info. The email said that my husband could stay on FEHB if I predeceased him if I provided a survivor benefit (which I did).

Amazing!
Now that's efficient!

Old 11-09-2020, 12:12 PM

Consumers Checkbook just published its annual guide. It's interesting to note that, in their calculations, only 2 plans have big savings if you have both their insurance and Part B. Note that their calculation is for folks with normal expenses, though.

It is a good reminder of the importance of shopping around and doing one's homework.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:37 PM

Don't keep the information a secret, who are they?

Old 11-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Don't keep the information a secret, who are they?
Aetna Direct is the lowest overall cost for most people. BCBS basic is next, but ONLY if all your care is in network for them. Given the horror stories we read about out of network ER providers, ambulances and ancillary operating room docs, I'd be wary. Of course, it gets complicated real fast with the various Medicare issues too - participating, non-participating, balance billing and so forth, so I don't know what the best answer is.

I can tell you we've had Aetna Direct for 4 years now, with no problems (and no bills) at all, even though I've faced some very high medical bills.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:28 PM

I have been delving into the details of the Federal Kaiser NW plan for medicare A & B and their NW Medicare Advantage Plus offering.

My husband has been on the latter for several years and uses hearing aids purchased through the Medicare Advantage Plus plan.

I just discovered that the Federal Kaiser NW plan for medicare A & B DOES NOT OFFER ANY HEARING AID BENEFIT! Not only that but a Kaiser customer service rep told me that he could not avail himself of their hearing aid services even if he paid 100%. In effect, he couldn't even go in for repairs of his current aids because the aids are specific to Kaiser.

Nuts!

Old 03-19-2021, 10:08 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Between Medicare B, Federal BCBS Basic and MetLife Dental. I am now paying just under $400 a month combined for Health insurance. Yet I still have expensive copays for Insulin and Diabetic supplies. All of This of course goes up each year. I'm starting to question is there a cheaper way to deal with this. I'm worried Retirement income won't keep up with the increases. Are the Advantage Plans now the cheaper way to go? Its all become very confusing, and talking to Advantage Reps makes it more confusing. I wouldn't be quite as concerned if I wasn't a Diabetic. Its just the BC Basic isn't providing enough of a drug benefit cost wise for my needs. All that Insulin,needles has become far to expensive. Its terrifying how that particular drug is susceptible to constant price increases.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:56 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,379 times
As a Fed retiree, I use Medicare parts A&B with FEHB BCBS Std As my secondary. (My wife is also covered).

As a Type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump & (Dexcom) CGM I go thru a lot of supplies regularly, Medicare Pt B pays 80% of the costs, and BCBS picks up the remaing 20%.
I pay zero copay for insulin or infusion sets.

I know that Pt. B is a godsend for insulin-dependent diabetics, not sure if I would need it otherwise. Also, thanks to BCBS I rarely pay DR copays, and my Rx’s are usually very low.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:39 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyinOhio View Post
As a Fed retiree, I use Medicare parts A&B with FEHB BCBS Std As my secondary. (My wife is also covered).

As a Type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump & (Dexcom) CGM I go thru a lot of supplies regularly, Medicare Pt B pays 80% of the costs, and BCBS picks up the remaing 20%.
I pay zero copay for insulin or infusion sets.

I know that Pt. B is a godsend for insulin-dependent diabetics, not sure if I would need it otherwise. Also, thanks to BCBS I rarely pay DR copays, and my Rx’s are usually very low.
Disclaimer: I am not diabetic. However, I am also a retired fed and chose Medicare A&B as the primary, plus BCBS Standard. Don't have many prescriptions, but so far the copays have been extremely low. Suspect the major difference here is between BCBS Standard and Basic coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance