Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 01:12 PM

628 posts, read 1,315,616 times

Advertisements

I am retired and have Medicare Part A. My spouse is a federal employee and has health insurance coverage for both of us {reason I don't have Medicare B}. When my spouse retires, we have the option to continue the health insurance provided by the federal job as well as having Medicare A for both of us. Do we need to obtain Medicare part B if we continue the federal insurance? Is it better to get Medicare B and a gap policy or retain the federal insurance or some combination of these options. I have read quite a bit on this but the answers to my questions still aren't clear to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 01:49 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Keep FEHB. Whether or not you also need Part B depends on our circumstances.

Good info that issue on both these threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...fehb-plan.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...ee-health.html

Old 10-09-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Keep FEHB. Whether or not you also need Part B depends on our circumstances.

Good info that issue on both these threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...fehb-plan.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...ee-health.html
Thank you for the links. I'm a little clearer on how the system works now. We are planning on keeping FEHB, but still not sure whether we need Medicare B or not. The fed plan we have is BC/BS standard. My impression was that this would cover doctors and prescription drugs and any expenses not covered by Medicare A but I'm still uncertain of this. I'm mainly trying to figure out if we will have adequate coverage with FEHB and Medicare A to avoid any life changing hidden expenses by not having Medicare B also.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:51 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Thank you for the links. I'm a little clearer on how the system works now. We are planning on keeping FEHB, but still not sure whether we need Medicare B or not. The fed plan we have is BC/BS standard. My impression was that this would cover doctors and prescription drugs and any expenses not covered by Medicare A but I'm still uncertain of this. I'm mainly trying to figure out if we will have adequate coverage with FEHB and Medicare A to avoid any life changing hidden expenses by not having Medicare B also.

in the federal soup forum there are several lengthy discussions about this very issue. they are in the subforum of medicare and healthcare. at the very basic level it depends on your circumstances.

do not unenroll from FEHB, just about everyone agrees with that.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
It appears with a FEHB you do not need a Medicare B plan. Your doctors should be covered. For prescriptions, depending on what you use you may want a Medicare D plan. Consult your benefits office to see what is best for you. You can go to the Medicare.gov website to look up plans & premiums for Part D plans.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
in the federal soup forum there are several lengthy discussions about this very issue. they are in the subforum of medicare and healthcare. at the very basic level it depends on your circumstances.

do not unenroll from FEHB, just about everyone agrees with that.
Thanks. I went on the federal soup forum and read quite a bit. It seems that the answer is always "depends on your circumstances". I guess I'm dumber than I thought because I can't find a definitive answer to my question. I appreciate your help and I really don't know what "personal circumstances" would make or alter the decision to add part B or not. When you say circumstances, are you referring to overall health, net worth, ongoing severe medical issues, usage of prescription drugs, or all of the above? It seems like this would be straight forward but I seem to have hit a mental block trying to figure it out.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
It appears with a FEHB you do not need a Medicare B plan. Your doctors should be covered. For prescriptions, depending on what you use you may want a Medicare D plan. Consult your benefits office to see what is best for you. You can go to the Medicare.gov website to look up plans & premiums for Part D plans.
I am leaning to not needing part B but don't want to make a mistake because we would be penalized if we find out later that we need it and didn't get it from the start of retirement.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:21 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
I am retired and have Medicare Part A. My spouse is a federal employee and has health insurance coverage for both of us {reason I don't have Medicare B}. When my spouse retires, we have the option to continue the health insurance provided by the federal job as well as having Medicare A for both of us. Do we need to obtain Medicare part B if we continue the federal insurance? Is it better to get Medicare B and a gap policy or retain the federal insurance or some combination of these options. I have read quite a bit on this but the answers to my questions still aren't clear to me.
Yes, you have to get Part B, but not Part D (prescriptions). Medicare becomes the primary insurance, and FEHB is the secondary payer.

I'm am a federal retiree, and I have Medicare A&B, Blue Cross FEHB, and Tricare. Maybe overinsured, but that's better than being underinsured. I've had bypass surgery, and also lower back issues, which require a number of prescriptions, some of which are quite expensive, but I have very little out of pocket with FEHB and Tricare.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,795 times
Quote:
I am leaning to not needing part B but don't want to make a mistake because we would be penalized if we find out later that we need it and didn't get it from the start of retirement.
I believe BCBS will penalize you and pay less if you do NOT have Part B. I am starting Medicare A&B in December and will keep my BCBS as well.

My husband has been on Medicare A&B and my fed-related FepBlue and rarely pays any copayments. He had a heart attack and placement of two stents last year and between Medicare and BCBS they paid over $211k. We paid NO out of pocket!

You can put your FE Health insurance in "abeyance" if you prefer to use a supplement. That way you can always go back to FEHB if you choose.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:52 PM

Thank you everyone! Part A & B with FEHB also. That should cover us well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance