Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 01:11 PM

5,456 posts, read 4,064,328 times

Advertisements

I am starting to look at Medigap plans (turning 65 this summer) and having a hard time finding one webpage that compares plans side by side with prices. For instance, I want to see all the Plan G plans in my area with prices. I don't want to "click here for Aetna" and then "Click here for BCBS" ad infinitum.
Medicare.gov is not very helpful.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:20 PM

7,523 posts, read 13,642,700 times
If you are in Vermont, perhaps this VT Gov site will help.

https://dfr.vermont.gov/sites/finreg...021-032321.pdf

Looks like there are 12 offerings of Plan G, but only 3 Plan G-HDs

BTW, Medigap rates are State controlled, not by Medicare or CMS.

For a comparison, CT's rates are here:

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CID/1_...ates.pdf?la=en

Happy Hunting........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 11:10 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I am starting to look at Medigap plans (turning 65 this summer) and having a hard time finding one webpage that compares plans side by side with prices. For instance, I want to see all the Plan G plans in my area with prices. I don't want to "click here for Aetna" and then "Click here for BCBS" ad infinitum.
Medicare.gov is not very helpful.
You need to know as much as an agent when it comes to policy pricing in order not to be convinced to buy a lower priced attained-age policy which will subject you to excessive rate increases as you age. Therefore, you should familiarize yourself with pricing.

Medigaps have three price structures: community-rated, issue-age rated, attained-age rated.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements...digap-policies

Threads on that issue, well worth a read, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...al-policy.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...ent-plans.html

In the long run, community-rated or issue-age do the best job of controlling prices as you age. In most states, only United Healthcare uses community rating, discounting rates for those under 81. Thereafter, whether age 81 or 101, rates do hot increase because of age. AARP UHC has a huge share (37%) of the Medigap market because of its community rating.

Know that attained-age policies can appear attractive b/c of initial low premiums, but premiums for those policies can easily increase 60% in five years, becoming unaffordable in your 80's. Insurers close attained-age risk pools frequently, locking you into an older sicker risk pool group. At that point, unless you live in a guaranteed issue state your health may preclude switching a less expensive plan. The only option available then is an Advantage plan.

You can get the same flexibility of a full Medigap with a high-deductible Medigap at half the price or less. Many here have the high-deductible plan. Medicare pays its 80%, you pay 20% until you reach the deductible, currently $2,370, after which Medicare pays 100%. Medicare reimbursements are very low, so your 20% share of routine services is small. You would need a major medical issue to reach the $2,370 deductible. Agents don't push those policies b/c the commission is very small. Attained-age pricing is acceptable in an HD plan because the deductible largely mitigates insurer risk keeping rate increases very low and often nonexistent. I had an HD plan whose rate went down.

Otherwise, unless in a guaranteed issue state, do not purchase a full Medigap w/attained age pricing. At that point, either choose AARP UHC - or explore issue-age plans which may be higher priced at first but are subject only to increases in medical inflation, not age. AARP does institute age and inflation increases through age 80 - but the community risk pool keeps these increases manageable.

Regular Plan N if you do not require care from nonparticipating providers (excess fee coverage) can also provide significant cost savings primarily b/c of the small doctor copay (not to exceed $20) - both through AARP UHC or issue-age through another carrier. Those here with Plan N have found Plan N covers their needs very well, with very small out-of-pockets ($20 doctor visit; $50 ER). Most doctors are participating providers so the lack of excess coverage isn't an issue.

You can price UHC policies, here:

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com...#/plan-summary

Old 04-13-2021, 03:25 PM

810 posts, read 873,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Thank you so much for this link, Ariadne22. I was looking all over for this pricing recently and could not find it. Will bookmark it now. Very helpful. Thank you again!

Old 04-19-2021, 05:57 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Thank you so much for this link, Ariadne22. I was looking all over for this pricing recently and could not find it. Will bookmark it now. Very helpful. Thank you again!

Apparently it doesn't like me because I'm not 65 even though I'm entering my medicare start dates.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:00 PM

810 posts, read 873,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Apparently it doesn't like me because I'm not 65 even though I'm entering my medicare start dates.
I put 65 in the age field, even though I'm not 65 yet. It worked when I did it that way.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:00 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Under age-65 Medigap is an often hard to find product. I don't believe UHC offers Medigaps for the under-65 in any state.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:24 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Under age-65 Medigap is an often hard to find product. I don't believe UHC offers Medigaps for the under-65 in any state.

I don't think many of them do it because before I renewed my BCBS medigap, I did go to a few of the sites listed, came up empty until I went back to BCBS, I finally qualified for the cheaper C plan. I had lost it in October due to hub losing his job in March. We just couldn't pay the $225 any more. Thankfully I didn't get sick, don't see many doctors, so it was only a $20 copay.

My hub will be 65 April 2022. I'll make note of it for him

Old 04-20-2021, 08:33 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,742,066 times
I have been trying to figure out Medicare too.It is confusing. Even more so more when you go on the Medicare website. There you find medigap plans A-N plus two plan G's and F's. How much more confusing can you get?
https://www.medicare.gov/medigap-sup...r=2021&lang=en

Last edited by jet757f; 04-20-2021 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-20-2021, 08:53 PM

7,523 posts, read 13,642,700 times
Question Medigap choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I have been trying to figure out Medicare too. Even more so more when you go on the Medicare website. There you find medigap plans A-N plus two plan G's and F's. How much more confusing can you get?
https://www.medicare.gov/medigap-sup...r=2021&lang=en
What's confusing ? You have a choice of coverages and costs to fit your needs and budget. Beside, you are not required to have a Medigap. Assuming you are OK with just regular Medicare, and the 20% plus that it does not cover.

Would you prefer that everybody only have the highest cost, full coverage plan choice ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance