Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 09:09 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times

Advertisements

I finally took the plunge and changed to a supplement. DH changed two years ago. I have been on MA for eight years. Moving from MA with UHC to Plan G with UHC. No health problems and take no meds. Why did I change? Several family members with cancer, etc. All on regular Medicare. It was starting to stress me out, wondering about the unknown. Thanks for the advice of several experts on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 07:17 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I finally took the plunge and changed to a supplement. DH changed two years ago. I have been on MA for eight years. Moving from MA with UHC to Plan G with UHC. No health problems and take no meds. Why did I change? Several family members with cancer, etc. All on regular Medicare. It was starting to stress me out, wondering about the unknown. Thanks for the advice of several experts on here.
I've been debating this. I just started Medicare last year, and chose Advantage. I'm in good health, and the convenience factor of not having to find a doctor (or doctors) that takes Medicare seemed worthwhile. My wife has had issues finding doctors. Cost wasn't a driving factor.

But I'm starting to worry, just like you. If I do get cancer, I think I'd prefer to use MD Anderson (I'm in Houston, and they're the #1 cancer people in the world). But my MA plan would force me to stay within my clinic.

But if I do drop it, then I have to start finding all my doctors again.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
When I first took an Advantage plan I had no idea you had to go through underwriting to get on original Medicare at a later date. Once you have a preexisting condition it is basically too late. I did not want to take the chance.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:57 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
When I first took an Advantage plan I had no idea you had to go through underwriting to get on original Medicare at a later date. Once you have a preexisting condition it is basically too late. I did not want to take the chance.
Actually, one can leave Advantage and go back to Original Medicare - no underwriting required. In most states, however, underwriting will be required to purchase a Medigap.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-05-2021 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 04:32 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I've been debating this. I just started Medicare last year, and chose Advantage. I'm in good health, and the convenience factor of not having to find a doctor (or doctors) that takes Medicare seemed worthwhile. My wife has had issues finding doctors. Cost wasn't a driving factor.

But I'm starting to worry, just like you. If I do get cancer, I think I'd prefer to use MD Anderson (I'm in Houston, and they're the #1 cancer people in the world). But my MA plan would force me to stay within my clinic.

But if I do drop it, then I have to start finding all my doctors again.

I'm going with medigap AARP/UH plan G $200 deductible in April when he turns 65. He's had cancer before, no way he's gonna have advantage. No issues using my medigap everywhere

Make sure you also get the part D medication plan.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm going with medigap AARP/UH plan G $200 deductible in April when he turns 65. He's had cancer before, no way he's gonna have advantage. No issues using my medigap everywhere

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 11-07-2021, 10:47 AM

3,042 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
Correct.

When you retire in your 60's should have no health problems. In the initial stage, at some time you go thru a set of screenings from cancer to heart to overweight. So if they find something maybe you start on meds. To control blood pressure, to control cholesterol, generic meds are cheap if not free. But if/when they do find something BAM here comes expensive meds.

With your Plan G you also need a separate Part D drug plan. In the plan get meds cheaper than full retail cost. BAM when you do get something & approach coverage gap to catastrophic phase be thankful those costs are met.

Don't know if you have had experience in taking family members to the hospital/doctor. Ask & find what their experience is compared with someone on an Advantage plan. In an Advantage plan maybe they can't see the doctor they want. Maybe they have to wait for the insurance company to do something.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:31 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Correct.

When you retire in your 60's should have no health problems. In the initial stage, at some time you go thru a set of screenings from cancer to heart to overweight. So if they find something maybe you start on meds. To control blood pressure, to control cholesterol, generic meds are cheap if not free. But if/when they do find something BAM here comes expensive meds.

With your Plan G you also need a separate Part D drug plan. In the plan get meds cheaper than full retail cost. BAM when you do get something & approach coverage gap to catastrophic phase be thankful those costs are met.

Don't know if you have had experience in taking family members to the hospital/doctor. Ask & find what their experience is compared with someone on an Advantage plan. In an Advantage plan maybe they can't see the doctor they want. Maybe they have to wait for the insurance company to do something.
A couple of years ago, my wife needed some surgery on her back. The neurosurgeon said that they would clear it with her insurance company and then schedule her for the surgery. Said that it might take a few days.

My wife said that she had regular Medicare with a supplement. Response was "In that case, let's go ahead and get that surgery scheduled".

Old 11-07-2021, 11:45 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Do any of the medigap rx plans have a maximum out-of-pocket? Of those I reviewed, once the true out-of-pocket reaches $7050, the co-payment is the greater of 5% or some max. dollar amount, but there is no annual maximum out-of-pocket.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:47 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
I did the same thing....went from an Advantage Plan to Aetna N and Humana D.
There’s no such thing as a free lunch. Pay now, or pay later. Piece of mind is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance