Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 AM

16 posts, read 101,346 times

Advertisements

What are the top 2 best sunscreen brands? Is it true that it can damage the skin? I live in a place where there's a lot of sun but I read articles online that says that sunscreen damages the skin, so no sunscreen damages the skin too. What am I suppose to do then?

Last edited by Akron2010; 07-31-2010 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:16 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,017,632 times
I don't know if there is a best, I am pretty fair skinned and I always have just used Coppertone. I never heard of a sunscreen causing skin damage, I had read some may cause skin cancer, but it seems like everything causes cancer these days.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:23 AM

16 posts, read 101,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I don't know if there is a best, I am pretty fair skinned and I always have just used Coppertone. I never heard of a sunscreen causing skin damage, I had read some may cause skin cancer, but it seems like everything causes cancer these days.
Do you know which brands those are, the ones that can cause skin cancer?

Anybody know of any that are SAFE to use? Should I use it every day? I live in a place where there's a lot of sun. I don't go out in the sun for a long time, but I have to during work breaks to get in the car, it only lasts 1 minute to walk from building to car, car back to building, I stay in the car 15 mins, just by walking outside for 1 minute, etc.. that itself burns my skin, that's how messed up this place is.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
Go to your library and ask for past Consumer reports issues. Tell the librarian what you want to look up and they will find the correct issue for you. Consumer Reports rates everything! Don't get fooled by some ad that says Consumer's Digest, that is an advertising scam.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:27 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,314,413 times
Solbar is pretty good. It uses a physical block (Titanium or Zinc oxide on the skin surface that does not absorb into the skin) against the sun rather than a chemical block. There has been questions on whether nanoparticles can get into into skin cells, but so far no evidence to suggest that it happens.
TGA fact sheet: Sunscreens

The neutrogena Helioplex products are also dermatologist recommended as it provides good UVA and UVB coverage. Use these types of sunscreens 15 mins before exposure.

I think the best way to shield against sun exposure is to carry an umbrella. Seriously.

Don't forget sunglasses to protect your lens against cataracts.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:17 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,222,731 times
Browse Products || Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews

Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
I'll second the recommendations of the Aveeno and Neutrogena sunscreen products. Some of the generic or big box store brands have given me rashes or break-outs, not so with the aforementioned products.

I try to wear a hat and cover up with clothing rather than applying sunscreen from head to toe. The sunblock style clothing is pretty common these days. Check out you local sporting goods/hunting-camping store.

For vitamin D production and our health we actually do need sunlight exposure. However, whenever possible, avoid direct sun exposure between 10am and 4pm when the sun's rays are most powerful and most likely to cause skin damage.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 114,994 times
I use Badger. Natural ingredients, and it's a zinc-oxide sunblock, which works physically, not just chemically, to protect you from sun. A little too oily for my face, but it's great everywhere else. On the expensive side, but a little goes a long way if you rub it in properly. Many stores carry it. I know REI does.

Also, you can get a sunburn in the car, not just when you're outside, so make sure you apply sunblock / cover up before you leave the house, and reapply midway through the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness