Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 AM

262 posts, read 651,213 times

Advertisements

I don't drink any type of 'sweet' drinks such as sodas, but I always, ALWAYS, crave cakes, cookies, candy bars, sweet rolls and fudge.

This is how bad my addiction has gotten. There are times when I'm in bed at night and I can't sleep because I am craving sugar.

I can eat a dozen chocolate chip, bakery cookies in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

Everytime I go to the grocery store, or convenience store like a Walgreens, I HAVE to grab something sweet like oreos or candy bars.

There are times where I can grab three donuts, a couple of Snicker candy bars and a few cookies, eat them within an hour and an hour later I'm craving sweet foods again.

I wanted to bake some nestle cookies and have two every day with my lunch for work, but I ended up eating all 12 of the cookies within an hour when they came out of the oven.

Believe it or not, I'm not fat. Unhealthy? Probably but I'm not fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,957 times
I could have written this post. Yes I am just like you. I LOVE sweets! I don't gain weight from sugar either, it's weird I know. I often wondered what would happen to me if I cut out sugar, die most likely.

I don't think a doctor can do much for a sugar addiction.

I am not fat either but I do have a mouth full of fillings, I am sure it's from the sugar.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I don't drink any type of 'sweet' drinks such as sodas, but I always, ALWAYS, crave cakes, cookies, candy bars, sweet rolls and fudge.

This is how bad my addiction has gotten. There are times when I'm in bed at night and I can't sleep because I am craving sugar.

I can eat a dozen chocolate chip, bakery cookies in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

Everytime I go to the grocery store, or convenience store like a Walgreens, I HAVE to grab something sweet like oreos or candy bars.

There are times where I can grab three donuts, a couple of Snicker candy bars and a few cookies, eat them within an hour and an hour later I'm craving sweet foods again.

I wanted to bake some nestle cookies and have two every day with my lunch for work, but I ended up eating all 12 of the cookies within an hour when they came out of the oven.

Believe it or not, I'm not fat. Unhealthy? Probably but I'm not fat.
So if you're not fat, and let's assume you're not unhealthy (from blood data, etc), what's the problem? Sounds like a virtue. You can eat all those tasty treats that would make most people fat. Worst thing about it may be the money you spend on treats.

I wish I was you.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM

7,122 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Yes! If I were you, I would consult a doctor--and I'm not a big doctor visitor by any means...

Your cravings/addiction for sweets very well might be due to hormonal issues, adrenal fatigue--or even something simple such as a dietary deficiency in iron or magnesium.

Seek out a health practioner who specializes in nutrition...many doctors are not very well trained in this area, unfortunately. Some medical schools offer only 1-2 classes total in nutrition. Sad, isn't it?

If everything checks out normal then you might want to pursue behavior modification to alter your addiction. Sugar in more than modest amounts is not conducive to robust good health.

Normal weight does not indicate good health, only a measure of poundage, unfortunately. There are lots of slender people in ill health.

Check out this Web site for some good info:

How to Stop Sweet Cravings - wikiHow

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
part of addiction is your mind set. junkie thinking. you truly need to work on changing your mind set and not allowing your junkie thinking to override your common sense. that takes practice and replacing the cravings with something healthier. a doctor can't help you with that only you can. wean yourself off. treat your junkie thinking more like a parent with a willful child, say no and eat something else. a reward every now and agin. ya have to keep trying till you over come. good luck sugar is a tough one

Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,834 times
Stop stocking your pantry with sweets and buy real food instead. Eat real meals based on real foods, you have to force yourself. I broke myself of the same exact addiction 15 years ago through using a diet plan called The Zone. You don't need a doctor, you need 3-6 months or even a year or more of disciplined eating. Once you learn to eat right sweets won't be a problem anymore.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
A craving for sweets can be a sign of diabetes, as your body is trying to get you to eat more sweets so that it can release more insulin to combat a high blood glucose level. Many Type I diabetics are thin and crave sweets, it goes along with the disease process. I'm not trying to scare you, but it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to talk to a doctor about this, and possibly be tested for diabetes. Many diabetics can go for years before they are diagnosed, and the sooner you are diagnosed and seek treatment, the better off you will be. If you also have other symptoms, such as being chronically thirsty and urinating more than the average person, I would definitely make an appointment to have it all checked out. It could save your life.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Eating sugar leads to more and more sugar cravings - it's almost like alcoholism. I would definitely get a checkup to rule out diabetes or other health concerns, and then discipline yourself to get on a healthy diet with NO sweets for a few months. I broke my own addiction to sweets (used to be just like you) a few years ago by doing just that. After just a few weeks you won't want it anymore. The trick then is to NOT START again.

you may not be fat or seem unhealthy, but believe me your liver has to work hard to process all that poison sugar. And how about your mouth? Cavities? Perio? There is no good to come of consuming all that junk.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
I have the same problem. I don't think the doctor will be able to do much. The only thing I have found that helps is to stop eating sweets. After a few days or so, the cravings are much, much less.

But inevitably I end up eating sweets and then it starts all over again.

A doctor can't give you willpower, only you can.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:45 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,403 times
"Just say no".
You will find (i say this from experience) that your cravings will subside once you totally get off of the sugar.
Eat a balanced diet with plenty of whole grains, lean protein, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit (but not too much fruit! ... just a bit and ideally, for optimal digestion, alone, ie; not with non-fruit foods).
You'll be surprised at how much better you will feel.
Just because you're not dealing with a weight issue does not mean that the sugar isn't doing harm to your body.
And if you're eating for emotional reasons, deal with your issues.
The idea of seeing a doctor for this is, imo, absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness