Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Aspartame gives me and my kids stomach cramps and diarrhea. Just a few sticks of sugar free gum will do it. This was years ago and took us awhile to figure it. Once we did we conducted our own experiments for a long time just to be sure. Yup. I told the Dr and she didn't seem to know but when I later got on the internet I discovered it was actually pretty common. Dr's ought to know this, it will save their patients a lot of grief.
If you get diarrhea with sugar free gum it probably contains xylitol, which definitely can cause diarrhea.

Aspartame contains phenylalanine and aspartate, two amino acids. To avoid them you would have to avoid all these foods --- and more: nuts, chicken, pork, beef, cheese, milk, and beans. These all contain many times the amount of the two amino acids that are found in products sweetened with aspartame.

Phenylalanine is an "essential" amino acid. You have to have it, and you have to get it from the diet. The body cannot make it. Aspartate can be manufactured by the body.

It is not biologically plausible that aspartame would cause diarrhea or all the other side effects that have been attributed to it. And if you actually study the various problems it allegedly causes, you find that the so-called adverse effects are just as common in people who take placebos.

A summary of the aspartame controversy:

Aspartame controversy: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

You are free to avoid aspartame if you wish. There is no scientific proof that it is dangerous.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
There's no such thing as scientific proof, Suzy, there's only evidence. Nonetheless, we can safely conclude that aspartame probably does not cause urticaria, angioedema, or headaches ..... out of several hundred known human illnesses.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-10-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There's no such thing as scientific proof, Suzy, there's only evidence. Nonetheless, we can safely conclude that aspartame probably does not cause urticaria, angioedema, or headaches ..... out of several hundred known human illnesses.

Moderator cut: off topic .

Remember, the headache study I cited was done on a group that believed they had headaches caused by aspartame.

What people think is true and what actually is true do not always align.

How about artificial sweeteners and cancer:

Artificial Sweeteners and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

The entire controversy was manufactured.

And the amount of money spent refuting the claims of conspiracy advocates is absolutely staggering. We all pay for it eventually one way or another.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-10-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Remember, the headache study I cited was done on a group that believed they had headaches caused by aspartame.

What people think is true and what actually is true do not always align.

How about artificial sweeteners and cancer:

Artificial Sweeteners and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

The entire controversy was manufactured.

And the amount of money spent refuting the claims of conspiracy advocates is absolutely staggering. We all pay for it eventually one way or another.
Bolded part could not be more true.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Could you describe the "weird seizures" as completely as possible? I had some kind of strange seizure-like activity around the time I was using it, but it stopped when I took Lamictal, an anti-seizure med used for something else.
Yes, back in 1983 or right around the time that they started to put aspartame in the sodas, I began to have this strange sensation that I can best describe as deja vu. It lasted for maybe 30-60 seconds and was accompanied by a strange feeling that I have a hard time describing--sort of a heightened smell and strange buzzing in my ears. The neurologist told me that this was an aura and an aura qualifies as a full seizure--a partial complex one I believe. I had several of these over a week or more and then they gradually went away and didn't return for a couple of years. Then they came back and this time I blacked out during the aura--this happened a couple of times. I was put on tegretol and took it for 10 years but sometimes had breakthrough seizures and they were always in the early fall and then went away for the next few months.

When I got pregnant with my first child, I cleaned up my diet from any obviously unnatural substances and that included soda in any form. The seizures went away and never returned. It was only years after that that I made the connection while on the internet one day and it took a lot of figuring and looking at dates and seasons and such to decide that it had to be the aspartame. I figured that the best explanation for the fact that I was having them in the fall was because I would consume more soda in the summertime when it was hot and then switch over to tea, cider, or coffee in the fall. I have to tell you though that I was never a major consumer of soda in any form--I had maybe 5/week and only on workdays.

It's funny that this came up when it did b/c I was just talking to a new teacher at school-- a pretty young lady--and she was describing the deja vu symptoms exactly as I just did and I advised her to cut the diet soda and see what happens. When I began to have my seizures my boss began a campaign to push me out of my job and she didn't succeed but it destroyed a great deal of the confidence that I had so painstakingly built up and I would hate to see that happen to this young lady.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Aspartame gives me and my kids stomach cramps and diarrhea. Just a few sticks of sugar free gum will do it. This was years ago and took us awhile to figure it. Once we did we conducted our own experiments for a long time just to be sure. Yup. I told the Dr and she didn't seem to know but when I later got on the internet I discovered it was actually pretty common. Dr's ought to know this, it will save their patients a lot of grief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you get diarrhea with sugar free gum it probably contains xylitol, which definitely can cause diarrhea.
Pretty much any sugar alcohol does this whether it's sorbitol, maltitol, any sugar substitute that ends with "ol." So it probably wasn't aspertame per se that caused the symptoms Ceece describes, but now some sugar-free products will have both aspertame and a sugar alcohol in it. Some products with sugar alcohols are now marketed with the Splenda name for solid foods. I don't think sugar alcohols are used in drinks/liquids.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
THanks, Stepka. What I experienced was very different, a sort of electric shock sensation that passed through my body from one end to the other, lasting for a second or two. It was almost always triggered off by a loud noise.

Concerning Splenda, there is a product that is equivalent to sugar in use (one teaspoon of this stuff adds as much sweetness as one teaspoon of sugar) which is different from the little packets - it contains maltodextrin, which is a polysaccharide rather than an alcohol. Apparently it is used to dilute the sucralose, which is so much sweeter than sugar. I use it because it's easier to spoon it into a large coffee or oatmeal than opening several little packets, and it's also not slightly bitter as the packets are.

Last edited by Woof; 10-15-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 12:12 PM

34 posts, read 53,400 times
They DON'T KNOW -- ABOUT ASPARTAME;
I seen 6 before I filled an app. for SSI, the only thing I put in the comment box, -- WAS I THINK-- I HAVE ASPARTAME POISONING; Social security -- WAVED-- the 6 month waiting period, and I had MONEY in the bank in 3.5 months;
Social Security DOESN'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY;

Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Default About SSI

Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI)-- SSI Overview

You can qualify for SSI based on age and income alone.

"To get SSI, you must be disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old and have 'limited' income and resources."

If you qualify, there is no waiting period. Benefits start right away.

I doubt that the government accepts "aspartame poisoning" as a disability.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
How do they respond to "just a few sticks" of gum containing real sugar, and no aspartame?

Gum always gives me stomach aches. I wasn't allowed to chew gum when I was a kid and therefore never learned how to do it "right." As a result, whenever I try, I swallow lots of air. And that always results in a stomach ache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness