Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM

34 posts, read 53,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Here's the scoop on the "waiting period", as I know from personal experience. Most people get on SSI before 65: it's mainly for disability. If you get it afterward, it's probably because of not having worked enough "quarters" to get regular Social Security. That could happen if, say, you're a housewife who never worked, but then got divorced and have no significant income.

For disabled people, you get nothing but SSI if you haven't worked enough quarters, you get SSDI if you've worked a lot, and you get a little of each if you fall in between. Very different programs.

From the time you apply, there may be a very long waiting period to get your first check. It could take months or years to get approved. There may be denials and appeals before it is approved.

However, once approved the first check is retroactive back to the date of first application - in that sense there is no "waiting period". The disabled person may receive many thousands of dollars of retroactive payments (which is why some lawyers specialize in helping people get SSI checks if they are denied and are appealing - they take the retroactive check if the case is finally won).

A few people used to get "presumptive" first payments. That meant that Social Security doctors decided you were almost certain to get approved in the end, so they would start sending you payments before final approval, maybe only a coupla months after application. I don't know if that is still the case.

It was once very easy to get SSI, but now due to the change in political climate it can be very difficult in some areas. It all depends on the doctor that reviews your case. If he is an a-hole rightwinger, it might be almost impossible even for someone who is homeless, in a wheelchair, and needs meds every day to get it. Yes, there are quite a few of those - the bigger homeless shelters keep and administer medications including refrigeration for some meds. Handicapped shelter residents may be allowed to sleep in a bed rather than on a gym mat, and they may be allowed to stay in the shelter during the day (most residents can't stay after about 7am until evening).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
They "WAVED" the 6 month waiting period, and I had money IN the bank;
I called the bank, and ask them just where did this money come from;
Social Security DOESN'T give anything away;
By putting --I think I have aspartame poisoning in the comit box, -- I must have done something right;
That IS the truth;
Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-13-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Don't forget that Jacel0 has also proven beyond a doubt that heavy drinking for several years can't possibly cause any of the ailments that she has experienced. It isn't even remotely possible that the damage had already been done prior to her quitting only 3 years before she started noticing the symptoms, and it isn't possible that it simply took her three years of sobriety before her brain was capable of functioning efficiently enough to notice that she had damaged herself with the drinking. It also isn't possible that she's lying, and it isn't possible that she's exaggerating, and it isn't possible that she knows quite well how to use a spellchecker. It's also not possible that she has had some odd genetic disorder that she was born with, that manifests at a certain age, which just happened to be the age she was, when she started noticing all these symptoms.

It's also not possible that she eats badly, or doesn't exercise, or was always sickly and was just too drunk to realize it until a few years after sobering up.

No, this isn't possible, and the fact that she started consuming products with aspartame is proof.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, the first thing I'd like to express, is I'm a man; hehe;
But you are right, anonchick; It's hard to have a hangover after years-- from 1978-79 when I quit drinking, to 1983 when I first started drinking deit coke; I noticed that the first thing it did to me, was to make me sweat like a dog. I didn't put the 2 together till 20 years later; And much more happened to me;
Aspartame has screewed up my body so badly, that I run out of will power trying to talk "clearly" about it; IF you go a read every post I wrote, you'll see, that it has done quite a lot; I have at least half posted;
Thank you avonchick; At least someones thinking straight;
Moderator cut: rude PS, I never got drunk, but i did drink quite a lot; Never was drunk; Quit in 1978-79 because my parents didn't drink, and I was TIRED and got nothing out of it; So, I just quit; Didn't miss it at all; I also quit smoking - cold turkey. That I had help with; Carrots; When I wanted a cig. I just put a short carrot in my mouth; Solved a lot of problems;

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-13-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: more

Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So you are assuming the cause of the seizures was the diet soda. You really do not have any evidence to support that assumption other than your recollection of intake. And it is not uncommon for seizures to just stop --- even if no anti-seizure medication is taken.
Yes that is correct--I can only go off of my own recollected experience. But I have not hurt my nutritional profile in any way by avoiding the stuff since I don't drink soda at all these days and the body has no need for aspartame. Also I'm not willing to retest this by starting to drink it again, so there you are.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Don't know if I mentioned this but Diet Rite, Diet RC, Coke Zero, and Pepsi One use Splenda (sucralose) which appears to have fewer red flags associated with it than aspartame.

As someone mentioned above, there's always some risk or toxicity with any sweetener (natural or artificial), but the problems with the artificial sweeteners seem to me to be lesser than those with sugar, which leads to tooth decay in the young and obesity in older people, and perhaps diabetes too.

I like sweeteners. They make my morning coffee so much better, and I can't imagine eating oatmeal without it (not that I eat much oatmeal, it really sends my blood glucose skyrocketing). Rarely I have an urge to eat cookies or cake, and it's nice to have the Splenda versions that don't make me go into a diabetic coma.

Oh, that reminds me ..... I let some butter soften so I could make cinnamon sugar cookies ...... cookies do seem to need some sugar taste good, I guess I'll make them half and half.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I can never understand an argument FOR artificial sweeteners over natural cane sugar.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Diabetes and obesity, stan.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Thus I love my natural stuffs...

Natural cane sugar.
Pure butter no sub. no way....
Olive Oil
Love me salt

take no medicine unless I absolutely needed them...

use no chemicals on my skin... not into makeup or minimal sunscreen & try to use the umbrella or be in shade.

Natural is good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just love the fact that your all natural;
I have a skin ailment that increases the dryness and causes the calyces, I improved a hand lotion to the degree that you have to stop using it;
IF you don't, it will make your skin so baby soft;
But Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the key ingredient;
IF you "verdana" want the reciept, note me;---jacel0---
It's very very good; A very good body cream, it don't take much and after rubbing it in your hands, you can wash dishies and it will still be there, you don't wash it off;

Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by stepka
OK, I read that study but I would be horrible subject for the study b/c I don't have them anymore. Also I would have to discount the placebo effect b/c I had those seizures for 10 years w/o ever having had any concept that they might have been caused by the aspartame--if I had thought of it I would have stopped the soda consumption right then and there and that would have been the end of it.

My EEG showed nothing except that the seizures were coming from the temporal lobe so the doctor said that something was lowering my seizure threshold though he had no idea what it could be. This was a very long time ago but I seem to have this vague memory of a doctor asking me if I consumed any aspartame products and when I told him the amounts he shook his head as if to say that it would need to be a lot more. I stopped consuming diet soda in 1991 (I mention soda a lot b/c that's about the only thing I had aspartame in), and the seizures went away but I made no connection to the diet soda consumption until years later when I read an article on the internet--by Betty Martini of all crazy people!--and started adding up dates and making connections and realized that it must have been what caused them b/c I was more likely to have seizures after a couple of months of drinking more soda--it built up in my body over time, in other words. Could it be that my liver doesn't process out formaldehyde or methanol? Who knows, but I never had a seizure before the year they started putting it in sodas and I never had another one after I stopped drinking soda altogether. Never liked it much anyway.

Unfortunately the main naysayers on the net sound like raving lunatics but I don't let that stop me from saying what I think and hopefully I don't come off as spastic. There was a physician at Wash U Med School in StL who was studying that for awhile. John Olney I think. A little quote from wiki on that:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stepka, aspartame does so much stuff to the body that it's hard to nail it down;
I know; I only had 2 thing's wrong with me, before I started drinking deit coke; Now I have 32-33 things wrong; Aspartame did 31 I think;
There was no-one around to tell me just what might be causing it, and doctors "don't" know about it, so I was left on my own; I'm sorta bull headed, and don't take anyone's one word for anything; It has to be proven;
But it might have caused it through; Can't be sire;---jacel0---

Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh, that reminds me ..... I let some butter soften so I could make cinnamon sugar cookies ...... cookies do seem to need some sugar taste good, I guess I'll make them half and half.
They also need the sugar to hold them together. That sure sounds good.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes that is correct--I can only go off of my own recollected experience. But I have not hurt my nutritional profile in any way by avoiding the stuff since I don't drink soda at all these days and the body has no need for aspartame. Also I'm not willing to retest this by starting to drink it again, so there you are.
True, it is obviously not a necessary nutrient. But do you think it is wise to tell others not to use it because it made you have seizures when you really do not know that it did so?

See here:

Temporal lobe seizure: Causes - MayoClinic.com

The cause of temporal lobe seizures is often unknown, but of the known causes, none of them are foods or chemicals.

When we put together the fact that aspartame is digested like the protein in meat and that there are no chemicals or foods that are known to cause temporal lobe seizures, it seems to me that it is logical to conclude that aspartame does not cause seizures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness