Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,334 times

Advertisements

In my routine check-up, my WBC count was high. My dr, looking back through records showed me where it has been slowly creeping up the last 4 years. Its not overly high but she is sending me to a Hemotoligist for further checking. I am kinda freaked out....anyone have any info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
In December 2009 I had some blood work done. My white cell count showed up around 13,000. Under 10,500 would be in the normal range. I was sent to a hematologist for further investigation. The hematologist tested for several things, all of which turned out negative.

For the next 6 months we kept testing as my white cell count continued to climb. I obtained new insurance and changed primary care doctors. She tested my white cell count and it was now at 65,000. She immediately sent me to a hematologist/oncologist the next day. I was told I had leukemia (CML) and I probably have had it for a few years. It just took the last 7 months for it to show specific signs in my blood. I had a bone marrow biopsy the same day to confirm the diagnosis.

As I mentioned above, there are other things that can cause a rise in white blood cells. Rheumatoid Arthritis is one of them. So is viral or bacterial infections, TB, among various other causes like certain drugs.

So stay calm, but continue to look for what the cause is. Please come back and let me know the results. I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Beth56

Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
I have a history of high WBC too. I've had a bone marrow biopsy that was negative. It seems anytime I get some kind of infection (sinus, ears) the count goes up. After a cycle of antibiotics the count comes down. Hope it's nothing serious for you too.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,334 times
Through further testing, found SED rate high and being referred to a Rhumatoligist...........

Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
your differential might give a clue: there's different types of white cells: lymphocytes (lymphs) usually increase in viral infections; neutrophils in bacterial; eosinophils in allergies. There's exceptions of course.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Through further testing, found SED rate high and being referred to a Rhumatoligist...........
Have you had any RA symptoms such as joint pain or swelling in your wrists, hands, ankles or feet? Or fever and fatigue? Morning stiffness? There is a blood test to look for rheumatoid factor if it hasn't already been done. Your hematologist may have already done this test.

Good luck. I know how hard it is waiting for answers. Sending good thoughts your way.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 227,324 times
I am with Michigansnowflake, I have been being told by my dr that I have critical high white count and need to see a hematologist for further investigation. When I called the dr office to make that appt I found that I was calling a Oncology dr. I need top know why they are hematologist/oncologist?? That is enough to scare someone. And I have had 2 siblings in the last few years die from diff kinds of cancer and other family members that have found that they have cancer. I thought cancer was found by tumors or lumps? Can any other kind of cancer be found in the blood besides Leukemia? And could having bad teeth raise your white sell count?
Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I'm worried and confused.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA51 View Post
I am with Michigansnowflake, I have been being told by my dr that I have critical high white count and need to see a hematologist for further investigation. When I called the dr office to make that appt I found that I was calling a Oncology dr. I need top know why they are hematologist/oncologist?? That is enough to scare someone. And I have had 2 siblings in the last few years die from diff kinds of cancer and other family members that have found that they have cancer. I thought cancer was found by tumors or lumps? Can any other kind of cancer be found in the blood besides Leukemia? And could having bad teeth raise your white sell count?
Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I'm worried and confused.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Medical oncologists also treat patients with non-cancerous diseases of the blood, such as anemia. That branch of their specialty is referred to as hematology.

If you have an infection related to your dental problem, it could cause a high white cell count.

Many times a high white count is a marker for inflammation, and some cancers may be associated with inflammation, so, yes, it might be possible to have something like breast cancer and have a higher than average risk of a cancer other than leukemia. That is also why people with inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis can have high white counts.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 226,876 times
Default high white blood count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
In my routine check-up, my WBC count was high. My dr, looking back through records showed me where it has been slowly creeping up the last 4 years. Its not overly high but she is sending me to a Hemotoligist for further checking. I am kinda freaked out....anyone have any info on this?

Dear Michigansnowflake yes I have heard of this before. I have be battling the same thing. I was just sent to the Hemotoligist and he said it was probly stress.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 272,149 times
Beth, I'm in almost the exact situation as you were. While prepping to retire from the Air Force, they discovered a white count of 65,000.....after the bone marrow biopsy, I was told a week ago that I have CML. I am completely asymptomatic as far as I can tell, and started on Gleevec this past FRI night. After the initial "freak out", I am really hoping and praying for the best here...my family needs me (I have twin 9 year olds and a wife who's been diagnosed as a chronic pain patient)...but I'm wondering what treatment you've undergone and if it's Gleevec, what I can expect (I have not noticed any side-effects yet...but I've only taken 2 doses). thanks for any info you can provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness