Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM

275 posts, read 1,283,497 times

Advertisements

In U.S., are doctors working in a hospital or as a professor at a medical school more likely to provide better medical services than doctors in their individual private practices?

Which one more likely charge more money?

I am trying to pick a cosmetic dermatologist for removing my facial acne scars.
Moderator cut: no names please

I am also interested in hearing dentists. My current dentist is working in a private practice. But Johns Hopkins hospital has a dental clinic group, where I have seen an oral surgeon.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-09-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Hmmm. Interesting question. IMO, I would chose a physician based on recommendations from past patients, regardless of whether they have a private practice or work at a hospital. I don't see how either situation would be an indication of the quality of their skills, unless they are working at a truly top-notch hospital (Johns Hopkins, Mayo, etc.).

Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
All of my doctors have hospital privileges. I wouldn't trust one that didn't. That doesn't necessarily mean they work AT a hospital - all of mine have private practices. But they all are given permission to attend -their- patients in a hospital setting, if it's medically necessary for some reason. You have to have permission from the hospital for that, and not all doctors have that access. My OB/GYN doesn't have office hours at all on Thursdays because that's when she works in the hospital's maternity ward. She also performs some surgeries, which are done in the hospital. But her normal practice is in a private office suite, not even in the same town as the hospital, and isn't affiliated with the hospital at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness