Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 PM

106 posts, read 171,843 times

Advertisements

I want to know how can I make sure I don't get medical care in case I have a stroke, an accident or get unconscious or unaware for any other reason, and can be left to die.

Is there something I can wear that assures this?

Thank you.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,916,812 times
A MedicAlert bracelet that states your wishes .

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM

677 posts, read 1,195,510 times
edit

Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,977,522 times
I would suggest you file a Living Will with your local hospital, and notify your physician of your wishes. In your home, keep what is known as Vial of Life on the top shelf of the door in your fridge. In that vial, which is usually a pill bottle, medical information such as DOB, medications, hospital preference and known conditions is kept. In your case, you can put your personal info - name, DOB, hospital preference, and the fact that you do not wish treatment, referring to your Living Will.

As for any event that might take place away from your home, I wonder if there is some type of Medic Alert Bracelet that would indicate your preference? This is something you can check out, but I'm not sure how it would play should you collapse and someone calls EMS.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM

219 posts, read 542,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDavid View Post
I want to know how can I make sure I don't get medical care in case I have a stroke, an accident or get unconscious or unaware for any other reason, and can be left to die.

Thank you.
Good luck... In the US emergency personal are required to administer emergency medical assistance until the patient is stabilized - otherwise they may be liable and their insurance company will not cover them if they fail to try. As we all know in the US, the insurance companies run the medical field.

You may want to consider the bracelet or an Advance Health Care Directive to set your intentions, after of course you are stabilized.

The other alternative would be to let everyone know not to call an ambulance...

Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,931,339 times
I've seen tattoos of it: Medical Alert Tattoo Replaces Bracelet on Type 1 Diabetic - AARP That would be a good way unless you were in some kind of accident that damaged the skin.

Also, it would not be fun if you changed your mind later on.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 AM

20,987 posts, read 28,523,522 times
do you have a living will or health care proxy? We dohave that. You can also get a DNR (do not resusitate order on paper)

Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,877,481 times
You need to have a DPA that is witnessed and signed by two other people. Keep a copy on you at all times in your purse or wallet and give each of your doctors a copy as well.

Then wear an ID alert tag that states, "See DPA." I also have a tag on my keychain that says that I have a DPA.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,220,800 times
Default At work ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDavid View Post

Thank you.

... be sure your personnel file is marked "Do not resuscitate."

Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,976,889 times
Medic alert bracelets are a scam. For all anyone knows, because you are unconscious, you might be an idiot who thought it was jewelry. What is a child picked on up and wore it then got hurt and needed care? Were you to be denied medical care and it was determined that such was the case, guess what?

Companies make a lot of money selling the gullible bracelets, charms and necklaces. If you are going to wear something like that the best information you can put on it is your name and emergency contact information.

Those bracelets are fine for listing say, an allergy or condition like epilepsy but really, you are going to inscribe a notice saying you don't want medical care and expect someone to fail to act because of that? Pure nonsense.

An advance medical directive will accomplish what you want if it is on file at the hospital you are taken to otherwise you are going to get emergency life sustaining medical care until things get sorted out. That is why you should always carry some form of information for an emergency contact. Make it easy to find because during an emergency no one is going to start flipping through junk to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness