Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 75,617 times

Advertisements

My husband got laid off a few months ago and we're getting insurance thru COBRA while we look for new jobs. Our COBRA premiums per month are a whopping $900 !
-Is this normal?
-We get our health insurance thru BCBS. Would it be cheaper to pay for our own health insurance?
-If so, what is the best way to go about doing that?
-Can we get health insurance elsewhere right now while neither of us has a job?
-Is it advisable to cancel COBRA, pay for one's own insurance and then get on a whole new plan with an employer once we get jobs? Is there any loophole there that insurance companies will use to screw us over?
-Finally, what about insurance companies like Aetna, Cigna, etc.? Why do most people in NC prefer BCBS?

I would appreciate any and all thoughts you have on this subject.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,039,320 times
I think many people (at lease ones I know) use BCBS when they are self employed, etc You can take out your own policy, it is your choice. I think BCBS has more options that most carriers, and I know my friends who use it each got policies separately because it was less than a policy with the "card holder and spouse". Definitely check into them, as I think they are most flexible with their plans.

Leigh

Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 PM

331 posts, read 1,127,354 times
It is amazing to see how much your premiums really cost when your employer stops paying 80% or 90% of the bill.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM

551 posts, read 1,876,491 times
Do not cancel cobra, until you have other health insurance first and you are sure that all pre-existing conditions are covered (and bc/bs will interpret pre-existing very broadly.) What has happened is you are now making the payments the company was previously making for you. The amount of the payments depends on the average health status and age of all the people in the company. Talk to bc/bs and find out what it would cost to change to an individual policy -- if you are very young and very healthy this might be a savings but DO NOT cancel the old policy until a new one is in place. I know it is very hard dealing with unemployment and those payments, but what if something serious happened to you or your husband or one of your children. Good luck changing jobs, and please stay insured.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,965,441 times
I suspect you will not be able to find any comparable insurance to what you have now for less than $900/month for a family. Many would be happy to find self-insurance for that price.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,701,269 times
Our COBRA was $1300 with dental for family. It should be what your employer was paying plus a 2% administration fee. If you had good coverage with low deductibles, you will probably be able to find a less expensive personal policy with higher deductibles (especially if you're in good health). Just don't let two months lapse.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:08 PM

460 posts, read 1,771,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11 View Post
Our COBRA premiums per month are a whopping $900 !
-Is this normal?

YES. Someone has to pay the premium. In the past, it was your employer.

-We get our health insurance thru BCBS. Would it be cheaper to pay for our own health insurance?

MAYBE. IT WILL DEPEND ON YOUR DEDUCTIBLE AND OTHER OPTIONS

-If so, what is the best way to go about doing that?

CALL BCBS AND PRICE OUT THEIR VARIOUS PLANS.

-Can we get health insurance elsewhere right now while neither of us has a job?

YES.

-Is it advisable to cancel COBRA, pay for one's own insurance and then get on a whole new plan with an employer once we get jobs? Is there any loophole there that insurance companies will use to screw us over?

Whatever you do, don't have a lapse, or you'll have major problems down the line.

-Finally, what about insurance companies like Aetna, Cigna, etc.? Why do most people in NC prefer BCBS?
I use BCBS since I'm now self-employed. I'm happy with them.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:24 PM

122 posts, read 488,537 times
I suggest you log onto Lowermybills.com. You can get insurance quotes and submit applications.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,864,793 times
My husband became unemployed while I was pregnant. Our COBRA was $800 a month. Yes, it was cheaper to buy our own insurance, but there was no company out there who would take a pregnant woman! To those out there who said in the other thread "if you can't afford health care, don't get pregnant", well, I take offense to that. Anyone can find themselves at the bottom of the barrel at any given time. We never thought that would happen us.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 AM

115 posts, read 464,489 times
i used short-term united healthcare through this website when i was consulting earlier in the year between "real" jobs.

Health Insurance, Medical Insurance, Individual Health Insurance Quotes

My deductible was pretty high since i really just wanted insurance for a real emergency, but my monthly bill was only $40. I think the policy came in 6 month increments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance