Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask and it shall be given View Post
LOL! I heard that in the South they will even deep-fry TWINKIES!
you heard right, the first time I heard of deep-fried Twinkies was at the Texas state fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask and it shall be given View Post
LOL! I heard that in the South they will even deep-fry TWINKIES!
I don't know who "they" are, but I've never eaten a Twinkie in my life.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:17 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And if you named all the people who would be dead without them..... well it wouldn't be an issue, as our population would be greatly reduced, so I'm sure you wouldn't have time for that nonsense.
A non-answer if ever there was one.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No one is saying, nutrition doesn't affect health so some degree,
I quoted a 1930s doctor who did a study, and it was instantly jumped on for being a quack.

Nutrition being linked to health is quackry.

Do not say that folks do not hold that opinion. Such would be un-true in this very thread.

I think that nutrition is linked to health, and that is held as quackry by some posters.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Yes, obesity and smoking are a HUGE problem. My mom (a nurse) will scream it to the mountain tops. She often has to call security to help her move an obese patient. She's not going to throw her back out for someone. That would mean she would have to miss work and sick-leave doesn't cover the bills. You have people who can't even wipe their own butt! According to her, obesity, smoking, and motorcycles are the most common reasons why someone is in her care.

I remember a story about a car accident that happened during rush hour. They sent the helicopter to airlift the victim to the hospital (quicker than trying to go through traffic). The helicopter can't take people over 250 lbs. (keep in mind of the EMTs and equipment that are already on it). The victim had to go via ambulance because he or she was too fat.

Instead of giving pay raises to hospital workers, hospitals have to buy bigger MRI machines, X-ray machines, gurneys, and wheelchairs. If the hospital doesn't have the larger machines, they have to send people to the zoo. People die in surgery because of obesity-induced sleep apnea. They stop breathing and they can't intubate, so they have to cut a whole in their neck so that they can put the tube down their airway.

The government doesn't give a rat's ass about us. If they did, then they wouldn't allow companies to make fake food with all these preservatives.

Last edited by Pinkmani; 10-12-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
In answer to your question -- yes, absolutely, IMHO.

I've a guilty pleasure: while at the grocery store, I peek into peoples' grocery carts. Especially when they're ahead of me in the check-out line.

99% of the time, the carts piled with snack foods, sodas, ice cream, donuts, white bread, bakery cakes, boxes of processed foods, and packages of fatty hamburger meat, hot dogs, etc. are being pushed by overweight people who do not look in the pink of health. Some are even using motorized carts.

Conversely, the carts piloted by fit/slender-looking folks seem to be filled with lots of veggies/fruits and whole grain kinds of foods...minimally processed.
Try it yourself..it's eye-opening.

Try it yourself, this grocery cart peeking--it's eye-opening.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times
I agree that education / information is very important, but I also think a FEW things have changed in recent times (last few decades) and may add (negatively) to the overall nutrition issues:

Iodine - used to be in every slice of bread, until the 1980’s when iodine was replaced as an anti-caking agent, by bromide or bromine (check out what that is!). So we used to get regular iodine, in more than table salt. Yet, bromide also displaces iodine. eeeek!

Grass-fed beef - is higher in omega-3’s than fish - however, we rarely get grass-fed beef anymore, unless you search it out, and pay a lot for it. (similar with eggs and hen-feed)

High Fructose Corn Syrup - (also in the 1980’s) largely replaced sugar, that maybe we can metabolize easier? Or used less of? (but HFCS is cheaper - so it’s in 99% of soda drinks now among many other foods - unless you search out the few that use 'real' sugar instead).

Butter vs. Margarine - (trans-fat) WALTER WILLETT, Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition, Chairman of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health used to advise consumers to switch from butter to margarine. In a PBS television interview on 9 January 2004, Walter Willett admitted: Harvard Professor WALTER WILLETT used to advise consumers to take margarine. Today, he campaigns against trans fats.

Unfortunately, as a physician back in the 1980s, I was telling people that they should replace butter with margarine because it was cholesterol free, and professional organizations like the American Heart Association were telling us as physicians that we should be promoting this. In reality, there was never any evidence that these margarines, that were high in trans fat, were any better than butter, and as it turned out, they were actually far worse than butter.

GMO - which may be genuinely helpful in some instances, but largely involve pesticide activity (inside the plant!! …that doesn’t magically go away after harvest).

Xeno-estrogens - (excess estrogen increases body fat) foreign estrogens which pass into our environment through pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, plastics, fuels, car exhausts, dry cleaning chemicals, industrial waste, meat from animals which have been fattened with estrogenic drugs, and countless other household and personal products which many of us use every day.

SODIUM - Salt intake physiologically set in humans, new study finds - Salt intake physiologically set in humans, new study finds :: UC Davis News & Information
Don’t toss your saltshaker out just yet. A new study led by scientists affiliated with the University of California, Davis, adds further credence to the notion that concern about the amount of salt you consume may be misplaced.

The study documents in humans what neuroscientists have reported for some time: animals’ sodium (salt) intake is controlled by networks in the brain and not by the salt in one’s food. The findings have important implications for future U.S. nutrition policy directed at sodium intake.
---------
These, among other similar things, are not taught, even in nutrition studies. Yet, they may have significant 'across-the-board' nutritional impacts.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I find Zelva's post very interesting. And I agree with the observations. One must ask why Baby Boomer women are the first generation who will live shorter lives than their mothers.

Given the advances in medicine, that makes little sense--until you consider how our diets have changed from mostly natural to highly processed foods with many chemical additives and genetic modifications.

Junk food equals junk health--and shorter lives. Whole foods and natural foods equal healthier lives--

The choice is ours...

Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I would venture that most of our health care dollars (outside of elder care in last 2 years) are spent on self-induced illnesses brought on by eating habits and other lifestyle choices (smoking, drinking, drugs, no exercise, stressful occupation, etc).

Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I quoted a 1930s doctor who did a study, and it was instantly jumped on for being a quack.

Nutrition being linked to health is quackry.

Do not say that folks do not hold that opinion. Such would be un-true in this very thread.

I think that nutrition is linked to health, and that is held as quackry by some posters.
I really don't think anyone is saying there is no connection between healthy eating and good health. You are spinning this out of proportion. What I am saying is: studies can be done to try and prove anything and eating healthy isn't going to guarantee we will live to be 90 or 100, nor does eating poorly mean death at a young age. Heredity plays a huge part, maybe the number one part. How many people who are grossly overweight (I don't mean 400 lbs) do you know that are in good health or how many do you know with high BP or diabetes that are thin, eat right, exercise and live a really healthy life. I know of several, many in our church or my social groups. BTW, no one is saying people who hold the view: nutrition plays a roll in good health are quacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness