Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times

Advertisements

I've had it really bad lately. The emissions are flowing forth, one right after the other, all day, every day. Diet seems to make no difference. It has degenerated from inconvenience to true suffering.

When I woke up this morning it smelled like a duck farm in my room though sometimes the odor can best described as a dead rat who just choked on a rotten egg.

This affliction is placing great strain on my relationships, jeopardizing my job, limiting my leisure activities and having a negative impact my self esteem.

I don't have much money or health insurance at the current time. So a doctor visit as well as $100 underwear is out of the question.

Any ideas what I can do to find some relief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 05:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Probiotics?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Could be something new in your diet thats causing the condition or it could be a symptom of something more serious.
Gas - flatulence

I'd get it checked out by a doctor just in case.
Unfortunate you dont have Healthcare insurance however all is not lost..
https://www.google.ca/#q=Free+Medica...ea&safe=active
You might also want to look into your counties new Affordable Healthcare program as with subsidies you may be able to get very affordable healthcare insurance policy.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Usually people don't eat the same foods and then suddenly have a problem with gas. Is there something different you are eating, adding any new spices??? There is always Gas-X or Beano that is supposed to help.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Try cutting out ALL refined sugars...they really get the other food fermenting in there...

Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
For years I've had occasional problems with gas, bloating and abdominal tenderness, especially at night. It was so uncomfortable it kept me awake at night. Beano and similar products didn't help much. Recently I tried a product that was recommended on a discussion board for IBS sufferers. It's Schiff Digestive Advantage Gas Defense Formula, a probiotic with enzymes that help aid in the breakdown of complex carbohydrates such as beans which are hard to digest. It may take up to 7-14 days to start working, but I felt a noticeable difference within a few days. It's the only thing that has ever helped me.

Your situation may be different. You could have IBS, a food allergy or some other digestive disorder that requires medical treatment. But an OTC remedy is worth trying. Another thing worth trying is to stick to a bland diet for a few days. Eliminate foods that are known to be difficult to digest and/or gas producing and see if it helps. Foods you should avoid include:

Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts)
Beans and legumes (peas, lentils, garbanzos, soy)
Dairy products (you may be able to tolerate yogurt, but only if it contains live cultures)
Whole grains
Carbonated drinks, i.e. soda, sparkling beverages and beer
Fresh fruit
Lettuce
Hard candy
Chewing gum

Rice, eggs, white toast, tea, applesauce, fish and chicken, Jell-O and clear soups are the best foods to have on a bland diet. Avoid coffee, alcohol, high fat, spicy or fried foods. After your digestion calms down, add new foods one at a time to see which ones you can tolerate.

If none of these suggestions help, you really should see a doctor and get a diagnosis. If anything were seriously wrong, it would be a lot cheaper to find out it and treat it now than to risk serious complications. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Usually people don't eat the same foods and then suddenly have a problem with gas. Is there something different you are eating, adding any new spices??? There is always Gas-X or Beano that is supposed to help.
Last week I made a huge pot of spaghetti to last me several days. On top of that every day I would cook eggplant, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, onions, japanoes with a bit of chili powder in olive oil to go with it. For a few days I had garlic focacia bread, and I always eat salad every single day. However the problem persisted even when the spaghetti ran out. I went ahead and made another pot last night. Because it's cheap.

Breakfast every day is usually granola and a banana (has to be something simple I can eat at my desk). Lunch varies though if I am on a short work schedule I wait until I get home.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
For years I've had occasional problems with gas, bloating and abdominal tenderness, especially at night. It was so uncomfortable it kept me awake at night. Beano and similar products didn't help much. Recently I tried a product that was recommended on a discussion board for IBS sufferers. It's Schiff Digestive Advantage Gas Defense Formula, a probiotic with enzymes that help aid in the breakdown of complex carbohydrates such as beans which are hard to digest. It may take up to 7-14 days to start working, but I felt a noticeable difference within a few days. It's the only thing that has ever helped me.

Your situation may be different. You could have IBS, a food allergy or some other digestive disorder that requires medical treatment. But an OTC remedy is worth trying. Another thing worth trying is to stick to a bland diet for a few days. Eliminate foods that are known to be difficult to digest and/or gas producing and see if it helps. Foods you should avoid include:

Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts)
Beans and legumes (peas, lentils, garbanzos, soy)
Dairy products (you may be able to tolerate yogurt, but only if it contains live cultures)
Whole grains
Carbonated drinks, i.e. soda, sparkling beverages and beer
Fresh fruit
Lettuce
Hard candy
Chewing gum

Rice, eggs, white toast, tea, applesauce, fish and chicken, Jell-O and clear soups are the best foods to have on a bland diet. Avoid coffee, alcohol, high fat, spicy or fried foods. After your digestion calms down, add new foods one at a time to see which ones you can tolerate.

If none of these suggestions help, you really should see a doctor and get a diagnosis. If anything were seriously wrong, it would be a lot cheaper to find out it and treat it now than to risk serious complications. Good luck.
Yikes!

I wonder what I can eat?

Will check into Schiff Digestive Advantage Gas Defense Formula.

Otherwise I haven't been to a doctor since 1992 and I am already used to not going.

What I am really concerned about right now is, I usually work alone in a small room and I may have to train someone to work at home (something I am absolutely completely unqualified and unprepared for but that's a whole different issue) so this is just placing added stress and anxiety on me.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
I had the same problem. I started noticing what I would eat each day for breakfast or lunch to narrow down what caused gas later in the day. I narrowed it down to fruit. Any time I eat some fruit, even one banana, I am gassy later. I stopped eating it for lunch because it made my last few hours at work a pain.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I agree with the probiotic route. When I get a gassy spell I noticed that Activia yogurt once or twice a day took care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness