Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:29 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of anxiety about going in for check ups depending on what I think the doctor is going to do or say to me. I was somewhat dreading my appointment today but everything went well. I was able to clearly communicate my concerns to the doctor and let her know what treatment I preferred, and she was very accommodating, even more so than I had hoped! I stressed over the appointment for nothing when it really couldn't have gone much better. I think we tend to hear a lot about bad doctors, but does anyone have any positive experiences with doctors that they'd like to share? Do you feel that your doctor really listens to your concerns and treats you with respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I love all my doctors. When I moved to TX 2.5 yrs ago, I had to get new ones: PCP, opthamologist, pulmonologist, ENT, podiatrist, dentist and dermatologist. I researched all of them online, looking at their training, fellowships, etc. I Google them to see what might be out there. It's not easy to find doctors that accept new Medicare patients, but I lucked out. They are all very good. I got a gastroenterologist by referral from my PCP. About half of them are from India but trained in the USA. I have no trouble understanding any of them.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-11-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I love all my doctors. When I moved to TX 2.5 yrs ago, I had to get new ones: PCP, opthamologist, pulmonologist, ENT, podiatrist, dentist and dermatologist. I researched all of them online, looking at their training, felliwships, etc. I Google them to see what might be out there. It's not easy to find doctors that accept new Medicare patients, but I lucked out. They are all very good. I got a gastroenterologist by referral from my PCP. About half of them are from India but trained in the USA. I have no trouble understanding any of them.
That's a lot of doctors! Glad that you're happy with all of them.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:25 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,987 times
Ha! No. I do not like any of my doctors, except my eye doctor. This is problematic because whenever I go to a doctor other than my eye doctor, my blood pressure is sky high. At my eye doctor, however, my blood pressure is always normal or low, which is how it typically runs. I literally had to ask my eye doctor to print out five years' worth of blood pressure results to prove to another of my doctors that I am not in imminent danger of stroke or heart attack. I would never, EVER step into another doctor's office again if I could figure out how to avoid it.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
Ha! No. I do not like any of my doctors, except my eye doctor. This is problematic because whenever I go to a doctor other than my eye doctor, my blood pressure is sky high. At my eye doctor, however, my blood pressure is always normal or low, which is how it typically runs. I literally had to ask my eye doctor to print out five years' worth of blood pressure results to prove to another of my doctors that I am not in imminent danger of stroke or heart attack. I would never, EVER step into another doctor's office again if I could figure out how to avoid it.
I'm sorry to hear that. I was wondering if I would seem nervous when my blood pressure was taken today, but it was in the normal range. I was not happy to be there but I had already decided that I was in control of the appointment and I could leave at any time, so that probably helped.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Oh, certainly. As a female of a certain age, I have lived all over the country, so have had many doctors, both male and female. I am beyond caring about modesty, etc., but as a 66 year old, I decided to have a female doctor when we moved to our current location, and I couldn't be happier. She is warm, caring and spends as much time as I need. I'm not saying there are not male doctors that are not the same way, but it's a crap shoot.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
I like some but a few are really dangerous. I make sure now to check and make sure they aren't kick back happy.
I've had a few who were very wrong with their diagnosis. They were usually the nice ones.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
I'm very happy with my doctors. I've had one or two I did not care for, so I switched. It's nothing personal... I feel that it is very important to have healthcare professionals one is comfortable with. The provider I feel most comfortable with, might not suit someone else.

My oncologist is one of my favorites, he has all the time in the world to answer all my questions, show me research, explain things to me. It means a lot to me. I also love my dentist and even though I've moved 45 minutes from him, I still go to see him, because he is so kind.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I'm very happy with my doctors. I've had one or two I did not care for, so I switched. It's nothing personal... I feel that it is very important to have healthcare professionals one is comfortable with. The provider I feel most comfortable with, might not suit someone else.

My oncologist is one of my favorites, he has all the time in the world to answer all my questions, show me research, explain things to me. It means a lot to me. I also love my dentist and even though I've moved 45 minutes from him, I still go to see him, because he is so kind.
I had an oncologist with the personality of a box of rocks, but I kept him because I was sure he was good. All in all, I'd rather the skills be there, than the bedside manner. Since I've moved, I have follow ups with a personable female oncologist.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:12 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
I love all of mine and my husband's doctors. I go by recommendation only and so far everyone has been great. Hubby did not like the podiatrist because he said he hurt his toe LOL. He just does not like anyone cutting his toenails but himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness