Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Does anyone suffer with this? I had to call the ambulance this morning and have my husband taken to the ER. This is the 2nd attack in a year. Last attack was January 2011. He has lost 85 lbs since the last attack and I am sure will loose more because he will be on a liquid and bland diet for 2 weeks. He avoids foods with seeds like tomatoes, zucchini, seeded breads ect... does not eat spicy foods or use black pepper. He chews his food till it's mush. Does not eat sausages, nuts or red meats. Yesterday he ate PB with crackers for lunch and chicken rice soup from Chinese place for dinner. There is no rupture so surgery is not needed and from what I am told if you do have surgery they put a colostomy bag on you for 2 months, is that right??? what else can be done to avoid more attacks or is this par for the course even with a controlled diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Wow, a good friend of mine is coming to my house today to recuperate from surgery for this very issue!
He'd been suffering with it for years, and it got to the point where he had a constant low-grade infection, so he had to have the offending portion removed. He has NO colostomy bag, but I would imagine that would depend on how severe the surgery needed would be.

No...your hubby shouldn't eat anything that is hard to digest, as it can become trapped in the intestine. He should, however, eat fiber, so that his bowels will work more efficiently. Basically, anything that is hard to digest should be avoided. If he recovers from this bout and maintains a good diet, he may avoid surgery. But, if this becomes an on-going thing, surgery can make his life much better in the long run! Talk to his doctor about all of these things!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I have it, not to the point of having surery, it's a common malady, here's more complete info about it:
Diverticulitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Wow, a good friend of mine is coming to my house today to recuperate from surgery for this very issue!
He'd been suffering with it for years, and it got to the point where he had a constant low-grade infection, so he had to have the offending portion removed. He has NO colostomy bag, but I would imagine that would depend on how severe the surgery needed would be.

No...your hubby shouldn't eat anything that is hard to digest, as it can become trapped in the intestine. He should, however, eat fiber, so that his bowels will work more efficiently. Basically, anything that is hard to digest should be avoided. If he recovers from this bout and maintains a good diet, he may avoid surgery. But, if this becomes an on-going thing, surgery can make his life much better in the long run! Talk to his doctor about all of these things!!!
Already talked to the Dr. He does not and has not eaten anything hard to digest except crackers, occasional, pretzels, never eats corn, popcorn ect... now his varicose vein surguery has to be postponed until the infection clears up that stinks.His diet consists of chicken, fish, some veggies, once in awhile salad, but salad can be hard to digest and very gassy. right now he is having broth a sugar free jello, and tea for the next week or 2 then we can start having rice or pasta.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 PM

129 posts, read 237,093 times
I have diverticulosis and take 1 fiber pill 3x daily plus Metamucil daily and this made a huge difference.

livestrong.com/article/503719-metamucil-diverticulitis/

Also, when I feel some irritation coming I drink ginger tea (slice fresh ginger and boil it in water).

Last edited by frado; 03-07-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
I had 3 attacks in 2008, one resulting in a 4 day stay in the hospital. Three months later, a colonoscopy confirmed Diverticulitis and surgery recommended. I have had no other attacks the past 3 years. I have had twinges of pain, but nothing that would send me to a doctor.

From what I have read, it seems very little is known about this disease. No one can agree about its cause. Speculation is a low fiber diet, but there are lots of people out there with this disease who are vegetarian or eat high fiber. Some say it is an auto immune disease.

There is no evidence that nuts are a problem. In fact my doctor told me that no one has ever found a nut or strawberry seed, etc. lodged in the colon after a resection was done. But some doctors still tell their patients don't eat nuts and seeds. So many theories, so little help.

Through trial and error I have found what does bother me. I have trouble with red meat. I can eat hamburger easier than pot roast. Pot roast gives me trouble. Fried foods are hard on me. Some lettuce will bother me, but not romaine for some reason. Really spicy foods bother me. Walnuts are another problem for me. I stay away from corn for other reasons, but will eat maybe one corn on the cob during summer. Hard to resist. But never eat popcorn.

So what do I eat? I eat nuts, mostly cashews and almonds. If you can eat a raw carrot, why not a nut? I avoid seeds if I can. I eat bran cereal with blueberries, strawberries, apples or bananas. I eat sandwiches and salads (with tomatoes and cukes) and bean burritos. Dinners are mostly chicken and fish (my preference) with vegetables. And I love soups.

I found that people differ on what bothers them. If you have problems with some food, then don't eat it.

If you are having a current problem or attack, stick with water, juice (no pulp), broth or ice pops. Once pain subsides, white bread/toast, jello, eggs, applesauce or canned fruit (no skin), fish/chicken, white rice, green beans, peas, potatoes (low fiber foods) for at least a week or two. Gradually begin to add in high fiber foods and dairy to your diet.

I don't want surgery. It comes with problems too which are not often talked about. I know two people who had a colon resection done due to cancer. Both were not happier, one said never again. Surgery can happen more than one time due to problems also. So I am not looking forward to it. I am at risk. But hope something new will be found to help.

I have tried to take probiotics which everyone seems to want to advise. But for some reason they make me sick. It doesn't matter what form or what quality, I've tried them all. Activia almost sent me to the ER.

I do believe that fiber helps. I've never had constipation problems in my life. There goes another theory. But it does help with elimination, without going into more detail.

I now have Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, diagnosed July 2010. Whether or not these two diseases have any connection, who knows. I am 59 years old. I was healthy for 56 years, no pills, surgeries, ailments of any kind. And I always ate my veggies. You just never know.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frado View Post
I have diverticulosis and take 1 fiber pill 3x daily plus Metamucil daily and this made a huge difference.

livestrong.com/article/503719-metamucil-diverticulitis/

Also, when I feel some irritation coming I drink ginger tea (slice fresh ginger and boil it in water).
I am going to buy some fresh Ginger when I go shopping Friday, thanks for that suggestion. We have metamucil here at home, what fiber pill do you take? Stress can also bring on an attack and he has been stressed and worried over an up coming surgery that now has to be postponed, I have to call the vascular surgeon tomorrow and tell them that his primary Dr. said no to surgery until the infection goes away. If we have to wait till april I want him to do it after Easter. The surgery was shcduled for March 13th. Do you think I will have to do pre-surgical testing all over again?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM

129 posts, read 237,093 times
I get my fiber pills from a local health store.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frado View Post
I get my fiber pills from a local health store.
thanks there is a health food store near me.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I take a stool softener pill at bed time and a fibre pill after eating breakfast, works pefectly. I get my pills at Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness