Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times

Advertisements

Have any of you heard of this? From what I can find online (after a couple weeks of issues w/my feet, especially the left one having toes turn dark blue/purple/almost black when I get in the shower, as well as sore on top of second toe and an actual blister-type thing at end of great toe) - I initially was thinking it was some issue w/Raynaud's - which it might be as well but I think I have chilblains... creeping me out (as well as painful) as my feet (and somewhat my hands) are always cold but body-wise, I can't stand the heat to be up too high in the house - torn about what to do - I've been putting on two pairs of socks and slippers while in the house daytime but come bedtime I HAVE to turn the heat down as I get hot sleeping.

Sorry to make this so long, just making another paragraph to break it up - I'll start out in bed w/p.j.'s and socks (sheet/comforter) heat set at about 55 now that it's frigid outside (usually, 50 is good for me) - then when I warm up, the p.j. bottoms come off as well as the socks (if my feet aren't still frozen).

Any thoughts? (I have googled Mayo Clinic, etc. and I guess it's pretty common, or at least not uncommon - lotion, etc. were recommended)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,028,021 times
I am susceptible to both chilblains (pernio) and "Raynaud's". The blister on your toe does sound like chilblains and the color you have described suggests Raynaud's Disease (or Raynaud's Syndrome). I strongly suggest you consult with a Rheumatologist to rule out an underlying disease. It is relatively common for young females to have primary Raynaud's but there is a higher risk that the Raynaud's is secondary to another disorder if it first occurs when one is older.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:41 PM

Thanks, I do have a Rheum. for my fibromyalgia - I'll make an appt..

Old 02-23-2015, 02:34 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,785,085 times
Yes, do see your Rheumy. I also have fibromyalgia, Raynaud's, and chilblains (pernio). Chilblains can be a marker for other issues so I'm glad you're investigating further. Mine was confirmed via biopsy and, so far, seems to be unrelated to any other problems.

I have a major issue with cold feet, to the point that I sleep with socks on year-round, and during the winter keep three blankets folded so that there are 21 layers (yes you read that right - twenty-one layers) over my feet at night. My feet still get cold, even if the rest of me is warm. I also sleep with gloves on, use gloves when removing anything from the fridge or freezer, and wear gloves in the grocery store, as well, of course, as outside if it is below 60 or there is an equivalent wind chill. If I've really become chilled, I'll wear gloves in the house (which is set at 71) because my fingers still will be blue and painful even at that temp.

When I have a flare of chilblains, it can take weeks for my fingers and toes to fully clear up. And it can happen in the summer too - air conditioning can trigger a flare, as can holding a cold glass or bottle of a chilled beverage, ice cream . . . the list goes on.

I hope you find ways to manage chilblains that work for you. My methods aren't 100% effective, but help. If anyone has any other suggestions re: management, I'd love to know about them.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM

What did they biopsy exactly?

I've been wearing 2 pairs of socks and slippers around the house, sometimes have to put gloves on because my hands are freezing. Problem is: I can NOT STAND it to be too hot inside the house... I've turned the heat up to 65 daytime to try to help my feet, much warmer though and I am really uncomfortable body-wise (and I am not a large person, 95 lbs.) - at night, w/the cold winter we've been having, 55 is the highest I can take (but go to be w/my 2 pairs of socks until I get really warmed up) - I'm a mess.

I too have a real problem w/immediate pain in fingers just taking something out of the freezer to defrost.

I hadn't connected the two - this is the first winter I've had this issue - but this summer I did notice that my feet turned purple while eating in a restaurant (toes are almost always red, as are heels) - but had on open backed shoes and noticed heels were purple...

Thank you both for your help - I only vaguely recall maybe hearing of this before and relating it to elderly.... guess not always.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Try some thermocheck socks, available at Lands End, Eddie Bauer, and some other stores. They make a big difference to my feet but I don't have your problems.

Oops just looked online and they don't carry them now. Google fleece socks and you will find lots of them, even on Amazon.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM

I wear socks similar to these: SmartWool Hunting Extra Heavy Over-the-Calf Socks

If it is really cold, I wear a pair of thin socks under the extra heavy socks and a pair of gloves under my mittens. Obviously, if your fingers or toes turn white, you have lost all circulation to that extremity and you need to warm it pronto. (Or, according to my rheumy, risk ulcers and possibly gangrene).

I could go on, but I won't bore you. Even if you don't have Raynaud's Disease, you still have acrocyanosis and need to take care of your feet and hands.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,785,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What did they biopsy exactly?

I've been wearing 2 pairs of socks and slippers around the house, sometimes have to put gloves on because my hands are freezing. Problem is: I can NOT STAND it to be too hot inside the house... I've turned the heat up to 65 daytime to try to help my feet, much warmer though and I am really uncomfortable body-wise (and I am not a large person, 95 lbs.) - at night, w/the cold winter we've been having, 55 is the highest I can take (but go to be w/my 2 pairs of socks until I get really warmed up) - I'm a mess.

I too have a real problem w/immediate pain in fingers just taking something out of the freezer to defrost.

I hadn't connected the two - this is the first winter I've had this issue - but this summer I did notice that my feet turned purple while eating in a restaurant (toes are almost always red, as are heels) - but had on open backed shoes and noticed heels were purple...

Thank you both for your help - I only vaguely recall maybe hearing of this before and relating it to elderly.... guess not always.
They biopsied one finger. My situation is complicated by the fact that I also have a genetic immunodeficiency which can be a sign of lupus, as can chilblains. So they were seeking a differential diagnosis to clarify what was going on. All my lupus tests are negative, despite my symptoms. Evidently I'm a rare bird with some sort of autoimmune disturbance which hasn't yet been given a formal name. Some day maybe they'll figure me out.

I was told, as I'm sure you've read, that cold, damp conditions are a common trigger for chilblains. Hence why it seems to be quite prevalent in the UK. Just plain old cold can do it for me. I'm in Northern California and we have our share of fog, and in a normal year, rain. And for the record, I'm not large either - 5'5"/110 lbs. So not a whole lot of insulation. I don't know if there is any relevance to that or not. I frequently end up sleeping with my feet buried in the blankets and the rest of me under just a light blanket.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
They biopsied one finger. My situation is complicated by the fact that I also have a genetic immunodeficiency which can be a sign of lupus, as can chilblains. So they were seeking a differential diagnosis to clarify what was going on. All my lupus tests are negative, despite my symptoms. Evidently I'm a rare bird with some sort of autoimmune disturbance which hasn't yet been given a formal name. Some day maybe they'll figure me out.

I was told, as I'm sure you've read, that cold, damp conditions are a common trigger for chilblains. Hence why it seems to be quite prevalent in the UK. Just plain old cold can do it for me. I'm in Northern California and we have our share of fog, and in a normal year, rain. And for the record, I'm not large either - 5'5"/110 lbs. So not a whole lot of insulation. I don't know if there is any relevance to that or not. I frequently end up sleeping with my feet buried in the blankets and the rest of me under just a light blanket.
I was fortunate that I turned blue while waiting in the examining room and that my rheumatologist had treated multiple cases of cryofibrinogenemia. I scoffed when he told me he was 99% sure I had this rare condition. The blood work proved him right. I take a vasodilator to help control the Raynaud's and a low dose aspirin to help prevent my plasma from clotting when I'm chilled. (The current research does not show the aspirin is effective, but it's a matter of "it can't hurt".) The doc agreed that it would be better if I moved somewhere warm but I'm still reluctant to do so. I preheat my car, etc. My greatest fear is having a stroke, but my greatest annoyance are the chilblains. My fingers swell up, turn red and itch. If I scratch they hurt like hell. Spring and fall are the worst, probably because I don't wear gloves during those seasons. Oh, and because of the cold, my fingernails stop growing every winter and every summer the nails break off along the line where the growth stopped. (Does anyone else have that?)

No insulation here, either. 5'5 and 103 pounds. It ticks me off that all office environments are too cold. I can throw on a coat but I can't type while wearing gloves. Hence, I am no longer able to work for more than a few hours a day.

I'm done whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness