Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,007 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any permanent methods/solutions that one can use to fight off acne? In both adults and in teens?

I have acne (42) but I'm not super concerned about it. However, my daughter, 14, has started developing acne and is has turned my house into a laboratory trying different treatments on it! I used to buy her proactive until i heard it wasn't permanent, i got her off of it to test it out and the acne returned.

has anyone solved their acne for good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 01:31 PM

112 posts, read 112,226 times
I've dealt with acne since my teen years. I also tried common topical gels/solutions that I had seen commercials for and was highly disappointed. First off, you need to put an end to her "lab" business. She is going to fix this problem just by mixing chemicals on her skin, and will cause more damage in the long run than good. Second off, try looking at natural solutions. Diet, lifestyle, stress, that sort of stuff. One thing that helped me out a lot was the Acne No More book, which you can see a review of here:Acne No More Review - The Truth About The Program
The book helped me understand that acne is a symptom, not the condition itself. Fix your diet/exercise/etc and you'll get rid of the symptom that is acne.

Start monitoring what she eats. You yourself probably eat the same stuff, hence why you both have to deal with acne. Go from there.

Start adding food that is high in antioxidants to her diet as well. Stuff like blueberries.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:46 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
I remember sharing my acne story and the Howls of CD protest were enormous.

I had acne in one particular place on my face, and on my butt.

I FINALLY got rid of them both about 5 years ago (Im nearly 50).

The way I got rid of them was essentially, to use antibacterical soap.

That's it. so simple, who knew?

Also, make sure you keep your linen clean. You should launder pillowslips daily if you have acne.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:15 PM

227 posts, read 195,367 times
Go on ebay and fins something called KojiSan soap. It has the drawing of a geisha-looking woman on it. If it comes from outside the US, that's ok (I think my seller was in the Solomon Islands...). I'm almost 30, still having hormonal flareups, and this is the only thing that really got it under control. It may sting the first few times, because of the koji acid, but lather it up (it lathers very easily) and leave it on for about 5-10 minutes, then wash off. Do this in the morning and before bed. Make sure she moisturizes afterwards (almond oil is pretty good, it won't clog her pores). It keeps the acne down and it clears up any marks that are left behind. Most come in a two pack, and they last almost a full year for me. And my husband uses it to shave in the morning.

Also, check Amazon for something called Aztec Secret mud mask. Read through the reviews, lots of helpful hints. You mix it with equal parts clay and apple cider vinegar (Braggs is the best), not nearly as thick as they tell you to (1 tbsp to 1 tbsp is plenty good) and leave it on for about half hour a day, or every two days if her skin is sensitive (I do it every other day). That works wonders too.

These are both all natural, btw.

Like cinderslipper said, make sure she's washing her pillow cases and any face towels regularly. Keep her hair off her face, don't touch it excessively, etc.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
My daughter had severe acne,she tried everything including that proactive scam,nothing worked until she went on a dairy free diet to lose some weight,a side effect of this dairy free diet was all her acne disappeared within a couple of weeks.She still washes her face a lot with special soaps but shes been acne free for over a year..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-02-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,529,541 times
Default Acutane

Isotretinoin. It was a wonder drug for me as a kid, but I just read that it has had caused problems for some. "Accutane" was taken off the market in 2009, but the generic is still available -- I'm unsure if it is prescribed to 14 year olds.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Lightly cleaning my face with rubbing alcohol twice a day did it for me! And also saved me a fortune.

Sometimes something simple works better that all the fancy treatments money can buy!

Old 07-03-2015, 05:09 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
I depends on what's causing the acne. Acne isn't a "disease" and therefore there is no "cure." You could have acne as a teen and it'd eventually clear up all by itself, no matter whether you try to do something about it or not, and never come back for the rest of your life. Or you could end up with acne that sticks around. Most teens only have it temporarily.

I never had it as a teen - just the usual two-three zits on my face once a month when I was due to get my period. I had a brief bout of it when I was in my 40's, did nothing about it other than change to a more gentle facial cleanser and avoid using a facial scrub for a couple of months, and it went away by itself.

Teenage acne is called that for a reason: it's not permanent. So you don't have to "do" anything to make it go away permanently, other than live beyond the resolution of puberty.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:08 AM

112 posts, read 112,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I depends on what's causing the acne.

This is also VERY true!

Old 07-03-2015, 12:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
If you are in 40s with acne, it might well be roseacea. See a dermatologust. I take a low dose antibiotic daily to prevent the cystic bumps from roseacea.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-03-2015 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness