Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 11:15 PM

144 posts, read 169,100 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My mother is having stiff joints and osteoarthritis since long time. Her B'day is ahead next month and I want to give something useful to her. After lot of options to consider, I am thinking to give some kind of TENS massager. I am looking for these options -
http://www.amazon.com/truMedic-TENS-...TDP6XVK4N84C9A
http://www.amazon.com/TENDLITE%C2%AE...ZE47BJ0Y10AEZF
Anybody is having experience with these products ? I understand that these are just temporary reliever, but relief is always good.
Please share your experience or suggestion on these products.
Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
The most important options to consider, you didn't seem to consider at all.

1. Has a doctor recommended it?
2. If she has Medicare, is she getting it through an authorized agent with an actual doctor-provided prescription, including a trial period?

If you buy a retail TENS unit off Amazon, then it will NOT be covered by Medicare and worse - she might not find any benefit from it whatsosever. In addition, if she has a heart condition and uses it incorrectly (due to not having the proper education on its use from someone trained to educate patients about its use), then she could make herself sick - or worse.

They have been shown to offer an improvement with regards to chronic pain. There was an actual Medicare investigation on its use, involving fraud and expense. Here's a link to that - read the whole thing though because even though it's about a fraud investigation, there is a lot of very helpful and useful information about TENS, including Medicare coverage and appropriate use, treatment, and education on the machines themselves.

https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oai-02-88-00060.pdf

Old 07-26-2015, 03:02 PM

I will be taking it to India, so 'covering under insurance/Medicare' is not concern for me. She doesn't have any heart problems and I can teach her, how it use it correctly.
Doctor has not said anything about this, but I was searching some massager for her and these devices came on screen. I thought, I am looking at a device, which relaxes body parts with some massage kind of therapy. I didn't knew, it can be harmful also.
Thanks for link, I will go through it to learn more on this.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Yeah the TENS is not a massager. You basically hook yourself up to electrodes and send a very low-currency pulse through your skin. It's not a "zapper" - it'd be pretty difficult to "electrocute" yourself - but for all intents and purposes, that's exactly what you're doing. At a very VERY low currency - less than you'd get from natural static electricity (rubbing a balloon against your hair and then touching something metal, for example).

Old 07-26-2015, 05:15 PM

Thanks for explaining it.
I know that, with media new also, stiff joints and osteoarthritis can not be cured. This process can be slow down a bit by medicines. That is the reason, I am looking something to feel some relaxation. Having said that, can these products give some relief or it is completely depend on, we should not go without doctor's prescription ? Few posts about those products say that these can be used without prescription.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I bought a TENS unit from Amazon and it helped my arthritis a lot. However, even with the pain relief, I couldnt get used to the electrical shocks and gave it to someone else who is singing its praises.

Amazon has a great return policy. If you buy the unit right before you go to India and you're there for less than a month, you can return the unit to Amazon for a refund (maybe minus a restocking charge).

The product that I now use, Move Free Ultra, has changed my life dramatically. I used to have such bad arthritis that I could barely walk in the mornings. I've been taking this pill for several years and have absolutely no arthritic pain at all anymore. It took @ 10 days to kick in:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Does it, in any way, harmful for bones also, as those are already suffering from degeneration ? Just trying to understand, in what ways, it can be destructive or harmful.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
abhisheks77, you can find all the answers you need by just googling "TENS unit side effects". Google is your friend.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Sure :-)
Thanks

Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I have a TENS machine I bought of Amazon for $20 and it's a lot better than the one the military gave my husband and I'm betting it was a lot more expensive.

I have arthritis and FM and it helps a lot with pain and stiff muscles. It's also good for tension and sore muscles from working out.

I have no problems with side effects.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness