Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:10 PM

35 posts, read 71,785 times

Advertisements

Hello, Before anyone try to criticize me and give me scoldings and telling me why don't I get a second opinion for going to another pediatrician, please let me tell you why I am getting a second option here on the forum instead.
I live in a state where only 10- 15% of the boys
are uncircumcised, therefore, no matter which pediatrician we go to
for this problem below, the pediatricians always tell our 11 year old to get
a circumcision.

We did not have our boy have circumcision when he was born.
Upon check up 2 weeks ago (he still has an infant penis, did not start puberty yet), his pediatrician notice that our boy have Phimosis, meaning not enough or at all retraction of his foreskin and his pediatrician prescribed this betamethasone cream with 0.05% steroid cream to use for 6 weeks, what it does is to soften the foreskin, hoping to able our boy to retract by the end of 6th weeks, so far after one week, nothing has improved. Our pediatrician did say after 6th weeks if the cream does not work, our boy will then need a circumcision to resolve this issue which really concerns me here are my questions if you could please help.

1. I did a little research, at age 11, is it normal for a boy to not being able to
retract ? Some say, it can be till age 18 when this happen. I am assuming because the pediatrician here have not seen too many uncircumcised boys, so they do not know exactly when is the right age a boy is supposed to fully retract their foreskin and hence conclude that our boy has a problem. I'm just trying to find out from the public if it is normal for an 11 year old to not have a retraction of his foreskin on his penis. Is our pediatrician jumping into conclusion too soon?
From the pediatricians here, they say for an uncircumcised boy, my son
should be able to fully retract his foreskin by age 5-6 already. However, the pediatrician
himself did say he has seen very few uncircumcised boys.

2. is circumcision really the only way out to solve this problem?

3. Has anyone heard of this betamethasone cream to be used on this Phimosis problem on a 11 year old boy?

Thank you for your kindness for helping
We are just very helpless not having many pediatrician
who knows much about uncircumcised boys.

Last edited by maxonhs; 04-05-2016 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:03 PM

469 posts, read 398,516 times
I looked it up on WebMD. Here's what they say:

By the time most uncircumcised boys are 10 years old, they can pull the foreskin back from the head of their penis. For some, it may not retract completely until they are about 17 years old. When this happens, it’s called phimosis.
Boys who have it are born with phimosis, and it can last through puberty. With time, the skin retracts off the head of the penis naturally. You need treatment only if it happens after your foreskin has become fully retractable. Or if, as a child, the head of the penis has redness, pain, or swelling.

Unless he's having an issue (redness, pain, swelling) if it were me I'd let it be. That's just me, though. I personally think doctors are sometimes too ready to fill their need to "treat" everything, when most of the time things will take care of themselves.

Your child, your call. I understand your position.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:06 PM

469 posts, read 398,516 times
"You need treatment only if it happens after your foreskin has become fully retractable" I think this part means after your son's penis is adult sized. Since you say he is not yet developing, if it were me and he is not having any issues, would take this into consideration and let it be for now.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
"You need treatment only if it happens after your foreskin has become fully retractable" I think this part means after your son's penis is adult sized. Since you say he is not yet developing, if it were me and he is not having any issues, would take this into consideration and let it be for now.
Kgryfon, thank you for trying to help without judging me. I would also like to see other parent's experience with their boys, especially those with uncircumcised boys.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxonhs View Post
Hello, Before anyone try to criticize me and give me scoldings and telling me why don't I get a second opinion for going to another pediatrician, please let me tell you why I am getting a second option here on the forum instead.
I live in a state where only 10- 15% of the boys
are uncircumcised, therefore, no matter which pediatrician we go to
for this problem below, the pediatricians always tell our 11 year old to get
a circumcision.

We did not have our boy have circumcision when he was born.
Upon check up 2 weeks ago (he still has an infant penis, did not start puberty yet), his pediatrician notice that our boy have Phimosis, meaning not enough or at all retraction of his foreskin and his pediatrician prescribed this betamethasone cream with 0.05% steroid cream to use for 6 weeks, what it does is to soften the foreskin, hoping to able our boy to retract by the end of 6th weeks, so far after one week, nothing has improved. Our pediatrician did say after 6th weeks if the cream does not work, our boy will then need a circumcision to resolve this issue which really concerns me here are my questions if you could please help.

1. I did a little research, at age 11, is it normal for a boy to not being able to
retract ? Some say, it can be till age 18 when this happen. I am assuming because the pediatrician here have not seen too many uncircumcised boys, so they do not know exactly when is the right age a boy is supposed to fully retract their foreskin and hence conclude that our boy has a problem. I'm just trying to find out from the public if it is normal for an 11 year old to not have a retraction of his foreskin on his penis. Is our pediatrician jumping into conclusion too soon?
From the pediatricians here, they say for an uncircumcised boy, my son
should be able to fully retract his foreskin by age 5-6 already. However, the pediatrician
himself did say he has seen very few uncircumcised boys.

2. is circumcision really the only way out to solve this problem?

3. Has anyone heard of this betamethasone cream to be used on this Phimosis problem on a 11 year old boy?

Thank you for your kindness for helping
We are just very helpless not having many pediatrician
who knows much about uncircumcised boys.
BBM~~ NO..one can have a very simple procedure done called "Dorsal Slit" which basically a slit in the underside of foreskin ..no stitches..just some wound care that allows for the foreskin to restrict.

Many who are against Circumcision suggest Dorsal Slit IS CIRCUMCISION..Nope~~ I say this because the Dorsal Slit isn't cosmetically attractive and often ends up in full circumcision..which mean fully removal of Foreskin... I happen to see the difference..I have 2 sons Circumcised..4 Grandsons..3 Circumcised..1 Dorsal Slit..and Yes..Aesthetically obvious ..It's far from totally circumcised as foreskin remains visible ( tho haven't observed lately ( he's almost 10 now)! Below is a new technique~~
http://link.springer.com/article/10....no-access=true

Quote:
Abstract
Phimosis and paraphimosis are usually treated surgically by circumcision or a dorsal slit. However, circumcision may be undesirable for a number of reasons, and a dorsal slit results in an unsatisfactory cosmetic appearance. We describe a new technique, the ventral slit, which is effective and results in a normal appearance of the prepuce.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Quote:
Dorsal slit of the foreskin is performed to relieve strangulation of the ***** by a paraphimosis or to visualize the urethral meatus in patients with phimosis.[1, 2] Dorsal slit of the foreskin is performed to relieve strangulation of the ***** by a paraphimosis or to visualize the urethral meatus in patients with phimosis.[1, 2] A retrospective study comparing elective circumcision versus dorsal slit for elective management of phimosis found no differences between the groups in terms of stenosis, postoperative pain, need for reoperation, parental appreciation of postoperative pain, or functional and esthetic satisfaction. Bleeding was more frequent in the circumcision group
If your son has a rather tight foreskin..and if it's difficult for you to even retract it yourself..then it's highly likely phimosis will reoccur constantly..and who knows ( phimosis is a inflammation) what damage/scare tissue that could develop of years of such inflammations? There are ***** that secret serum/fluid that gets trapped IF foreskin is tight..which leads to this~~

Phimosis - AboutKidsHealth

Last edited by Lyndarn; 04-05-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Males need to retract the foreskin to be able to wash the area,this should be happening by 11ish,if the kid cant retract then phimosis is the problem and circumcision will probably be required, its a 30 minute painless procedure with only a sensitivity issue for a week or two after the procedure.If the Doctor recommends circumcision i;d go with his recommendation as some serious infections can arise if the phimosis is left untreated.
Phimosis & Paraphimosis: Symptoms & Stretching Techniques

Old 04-06-2016, 05:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
What I did when I was starting to have doubts about not having my younger son circ'd, was make an appointment with a good urologist; one who does have experience with uncirc'd penises at all ages, and their potential problems. The one we saw was actually very reassuring about what's normal and what isn't, and the take home was that unless we wanted to have it done for religious or cosmetic reasons, it's best to just leave him be unless it becomes a problem.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:28 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Not yet necessary. Puberty hormones will likely solve this. If it is not retractible by 16, or if it bothers him when he starts having erections due to puberty hormones, then do the steroid cream and stretching. I wouldn't schedule a circumcision until he is 16. Painful recovery.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Not yet necessary. Puberty hormones will likely solve this. If it is not retractible by 16, or if it bothers him when he starts having erections due to puberty hormones, then do the steroid cream and stretching. I wouldn't schedule a circumcision until he is 16. Painful recovery.
thanks for your input, his doctor wants him to get the circumcision before puberty before the painful erections due not having full retraction the doctor said. Made us very confused.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
As the mother of an uncircumcised boy, who is older than yours, I recommend leaving it alone. A lot of doctors in places where circumcision is uncommon are pro-intervention, acting before there is indication of a problem. In all likelihood, your son's penis will continue to develop normally, retracting with puberty, and everything will be fine. I second the recommendation to see a urologist if you're really worried, but in my personal experience, eleven is too early to do anything at all. I'd take a wait and see approach if I were in your shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness