Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,774,514 times

Advertisements

When I see someone with a beer belly I think, well, of course, he drinks beer. Why else would he have a beer belly. But also they seemed to do other things that health minded people wouldn't do like eat hot dogs and eat potato chips with dip when watching a game while drinking their beers and not paying any attention to what they are doing to their bodies but just enjoying life to the fullest. In comparison the health nut seems to limit their enjoyment and it seems kind of a sterile lifestyle. My uncle was so fat that he couldn't get up from a couch but had to roll off while pushing himself up. For years and years he ate everything a person shouldn't eat and he ate a lot of it. Sugary, fattening, cholesterol causing junk food and he lived into his mid 80's. I suppose he could have lived longer but he enjoyed life when he had it and that was the main thing in his mind, at least it must have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Honestly, even the most healthy die and some prefer to enjoy what they want all the time.
So what, their choice to be happy how they want.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
When I see someone with a beer belly I think, well, of course, he drinks beer. Why else would he have a beer belly. But also they seemed to do other things that health minded people wouldn't do like eat hot dogs and eat potato chips with dip when watching a game while drinking their beers and not paying any attention to what they are doing to their bodies but just enjoying life to the fullest. In comparison the health nut seems to limit their enjoyment and it seems kind of a sterile lifestyle. My uncle was so fat that he couldn't get up from a couch but had to roll off while pushing himself up. For years and years he ate everything a person shouldn't eat and he ate a lot of it. Sugary, fattening, cholesterol causing junk food and he lived into his mid 80's. I suppose he could have lived longer but he enjoyed life when he had it and that was the main thing in his mind, at least it must have been.
I think there is a large gray area between those extremes and most people fall somewhere in that. I have a beer belly but I'm not enormous. I definitely drink beer and snack on things I shouldn't, but I do exercise some restraint and it isn't a complete free-for-all. If it was I'd weigh 300 pounds instead of 200. For quite a while I was practicing good habits and going to the gym every morning. I still drank beer and ate snacks, but generally felt pretty healthy. For various reasons I stopped going to the gym and I do not feel as good as I did when I was attending regularly. I would say I prefer that lifestyle, a little from column A, and a little from column B.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:27 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,953 times
but for some people eating healthy and exercising is enjoyable... it doesn't have to be dreadful. for people not to find ONE exercise that they like baffles me. hiking? going for a walk? a sport like basketball? tennis? lifting weights? i genuinely enjoy going to the gym majority of the time. so i don't think it has to be: caring about health = miserable; not caring = enjoying life. i don't think it's that black and white.

IMO, being able to move (run, jump, walk, etc) = enjoying life. being stuck on the couch and getting out of breath walking up the stairs = miserable.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:46 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
Quote:
the health nut seems to limit their enjoyment and it seems kind of a sterile lifestyle.
I'm what you would probably call a health nut, and my life is anything but "sterile." I enjoy myself immensely every single day. Being active is enjoyable. All my various activities give me joy. Just going outside and breathing in the fresh air gives me joy. Watching the birds and animals around me, listening to the wind in the trees and watching the rain come down, it's all enjoyable to me. Just being alive is a wonder.

Stuffing your face isn't all there is to life.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:48 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Seems to me that a health minded person could and likely is getting just as much enjoyment out of life as the not so health minded person..

different strokes for different folks..

Old 01-27-2017, 02:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Why are you assuming that your uncle's experience is typical of the "over-indulger"?

I was a nurse in a previous life. I can assure you that many people who lived as your uncle lived would go back in time if they could and change their ways.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:27 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Personally, I wouldn't enjoy a life where I could barely get off the couch.

Generally, I enjoy healthy food, I enjoy being outdoors and traveling, and I enjoy being healthy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-27-2017, 04:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
My other struggles with a large stomach and it's not from beer.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:55 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,487 times
Because they actually enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness