Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 09:48 AM

371 posts, read 366,282 times

Advertisements

My Father passed away Tuesday from a c-diff infection. He was in ICU isolated room. The whole family was there wearing disposable covers and gloves. Since my dad was dying his family urged me to go into the room but the doctor advised against it since I was taking 40mg steroids. I went in anyway because I felt I should, I mean it was my Dad. With that said, most the family members really did not proactive protocol and kept touching me afterwards with their gowns and I wasn't wearing mine anymore.

Since then I have been cramping and having diarrhea. Is it possible I could have caught it? Seems so unlikely to me and to hit so quickly but I am starting to wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
My Father passed away Tuesday from a c-diff infection. He was in ICU isolated room. The whole family was there wearing disposable covers and gloves. Since my dad was dying his family urged me to go into the room but the doctor advised against it since I was taking 40mg steroids. I went in anyway because I felt I should, I mean it was my Dad. With that said, most the family members really did not proactive protocol and kept touching me afterwards with their gowns and I wasn't wearing mine anymore.

Since then I have been cramping and having diarrhea. Is it possible I could have caught it? Seems so unlikely to me and to hit so quickly but I am starting to wonder.
So sorry about your father, Tabby.

See a doctor now (call your own or go to Urgent Care or the Emergency Room) so you can be tested and start treatment while you wait on the results of the test.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 PM

296 posts, read 232,589 times
Please see a doctor right away. It's not always fatal, I just recently met someone who had it, she lost a lot of weight, but she's fine now.

Sorry you lost your dad :-(

Old 02-04-2017, 08:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
... kept touching me afterwards with their gowns
and I wasn't wearing mine anymore.
Is it possible I could have caught it?
Yes.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 PM

well what os c=diff exactly? I looked it up on the internet and it's an infection in the intestines and the bacteria are like spores but it also said many people already have it. Also, antibiotics can make it worse?

Old 02-04-2017, 10:19 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
well what os c=diff exactly? I looked it up on the internet and it's an infection in the intestines and the bacteria are like spores but it also said many people already have it. Also, antibiotics can make it worse?
It is a bacterial infection: clostridium difficile. Taking some antibiotics can trigger symptoms from it, but it is not always antibiotic related. It is treated with an antibiotic which will kill it. Because you are taking steroids, which suppress your immune system, and you have a history of exposure to c. diff you should be tested for it (the test is done on a stool sample) and started on treatment before you get really sick. The sooner you find out whether you have it, the better. It would have been a good idea to get tested as soon as the diarrhea started.

Please get off the internet and see a doctor.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:07 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Im so sorry Tabby!!!!!

I hope you feel better s00n

Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM

My Fathers funeral is tomorrow, so I will call someone during the week. I really dont seem to have symptoms today but it still might be a good idea to get tested.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,226 times
By all means get tested. I had c-diff (picked up in a hospital after a surgery). My DH and DS had absolutely no issues even though my DH shared a bathroom with me and we shared kitchen duties before I was dx'd.

I have many dangerous health issues and c-diff almost killed me (again!); but no one else in my household became ill before or aft my dx.

I am sorry for your loss.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:43 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
I contracted C.diff. Too many courses of antibiotics attempting to treat a sinus infection. I was also on Prilosec, a proton pump inhibitor that prevents the production of gastric acid in a way that allows C.diff. to flourish.

I had five bouts of diarrhea in three hours, then the vomiting started. Then I passed out. This thing can hit you hard and fast. Don't delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness