Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:31 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

To give a little background, I'm in my very early 40s. Mine have pretty much always lasted 6, maybe 7 days.
I'm now on day 11! Never had any problems, never been on any birth control, never got pregnant or had kids.

Currently, my period's gotten really confusing. The bleeding goes for pretty much the usual full length of it, then tapers off at the time it normally would come to an end, so I think it's over, but then it kept going stronger again (and tmi, the last several days, I could leave 1 tampon in all day, it will just have initial blood in morning & most of the tampon is still white when I remove it after several hrs.).

Is this one of the usual changes? (There's been no other changes lately.) I've read this is what starts happening around my age. When's it time to see a dr about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
You're entering the perimenopausal stage.

There's a lot of online information where you can read and assimilate all of the information privately.

It's natural and you can avoid Rx meds to stay below the radar of possibly getting the big C.
You'll need to read up and be proactive on your health before walking blindly into a doctors office.. walk in being equipped with as much knowledge as possible.

This irregular period thing might last ten years.. and is nothing to be alarmed about.

Read up, you'll be glad you did.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:10 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Yeah, when I hit my mid 40s my were almost non-stop, I had like 20 days OFF a YEAR.

Tried uterine ablation which didn't work (small cervix) and then had a hysterectomy. All better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2017, 12:14 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, when I hit my mid 40s my were almost non-stop, I had like 20 days OFF a YEAR.

Tried uterine ablation which didn't work (small cervix) and then had a hysterectomy. All better.
When I hit my mid-40s, mine had dwindled to almost nothing and I would skip months in between. I guess it is different for everyone.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
When I hit my mid-40s, mine had dwindled to almost nothing and I would skip months in between. I guess it is different for everyone.
Yeah. Yours is more common, but it is not uncommon for an increase.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks so far ladies! Yes, when different things start occurring, I'm the type who does research, but I have no girl friends to ask about this kind of thing, so I like starting threads, in which to get anonymous, unbiased input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
...It's natural and you can avoid Rx meds to stay below the radar of possibly getting the big C.
And what's the big C? (Do you mean cancer?)

Quote:

What?! Only about 20 days off a year?! You must be kidding! But no I believe you! I would think you'd have to take iron supplements, right? I mean that's a TON of blood loss for a person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wish that was what was happening here for me!

Old 05-06-2017, 01:29 PM

Yeah, mine was bad () - I was so relieved to get the hysterectomy.

Surprisingly did not need supplements, but I was taking a multi vitamin every day.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, mine was bad () - I was so relieved to get the hysterectomy.

Surprisingly did not need supplements, but I was taking a multi vitamin every day.
How many yrs did it go on before you got the hysterectomy? And how did the surgery go? Were you in pain much & how long did it take to fully recover?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Probably went two years of it gradually getting worse. No pain, just a mess. We tried ablating (?) the inner wall of the uterus, but they could not maneuver the equipment in my cervix because I have never had kids.

I did the uterus removal through the belly button (also had a choice of a robotic option forget what it is called). I'd say it hurt for about a week? The pain is mainly from the gas they pump into your abdomen as it absorbs back into your system. I went to a day spa the next day.... but was pretty sore moving around. I still have my ovaries.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:46 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
To give a little background, I'm in my very early 40s. Mine have pretty much always lasted 6, maybe 7 days.
I'm now on day 11! Never had any problems, never been on any birth control, never got pregnant or had kids.

Currently, my period's gotten really confusing. The bleeding goes for pretty much the usual full length of it, then tapers off at the time it normally would come to an end, so I think it's over, but then it kept going stronger again (and tmi, the last several days, I could leave 1 tampon in all day, it will just have initial blood in morning & most of the tampon is still white when I remove it after several hrs.).

Is this one of the usual changes? (There's been no other changes lately.) I've read this is what starts happening around my age. When's it time to see a dr about it?
Have you ever heard of Toxic Shock Syndrome? Leaving one tampon in all day is NOT a good thing to do.

My periods were getting heavier and heavier around 40, then I had a partial hysterectomy at 42 and yay - no more periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness