Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:36 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I knew a lot of this as I've always questioned the "expiration date" issue. On some foods, yes...but on even some foods the expiration date is questionable.

For example I get 200 tabs of my thyroid support and that is about six months worth. And these tabs don't expire and then there are the pharmacies themselves who have large jars of drugs they keep on the shelves for year or more.

I keep amoxicillin that I used for dental appts in the refrig, and my supply has been in there for a couple yrs and I would NOT hesitate to use them if needed.

https://www.propublica.org/article/t...piration-dates

This is just ONE case why drugs are so high and insurance companies/pharma so RICH.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-18-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Anecdote FWIW:

when my 3rd kid who has severe autoimmune disease was about to turn 18, move away and take on her own healthcare management and COSTS as a young adult, her peds GI (well respected HEAD of pedi GI at a teaching hosp) who had managed her (complicated) case for 8yr told her to hold onto all her extra bottles of (many, many) drugs she was not taking/took sometimes/went on and off of i.e. prednisone, put them in a Ziploc in the freezer and they could last "TEN years".

He did say some types of meds would break down sooner than that but the ones she had stockpiles of (immunosuppressants, antiinflammatories, antibiotics, antispasmodics), would last for ages if in freezer.
I'm sure he didn't mean literally TEN years but def meant, a LONG time past expiry.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:13 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Very true and very costly...

At one time the Chief of Staff was a former Military Doctor... he would often comment how almost nothing in the Military arbitrarily outdated but the identical drug sold to the public did.

Common Medical Gas like O2 and Nitros are sold through a pharmacy and for a time came with outdates... so perfectly good cylinders had to go back and refilled.

This is one case where the government said the gas industry had to substantiate the out date period and shortly after the outdating stopped.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Very true and very costly...

At one time the Chief of Staff was a former Military Doctor... he would often comment how almost nothing in the Military arbitrarily outdated but the identical drug sold to the public did.

Common Medical Gas like O2 and Nitros are sold through a pharmacy and for a time came with outdates... so perfectly good cylinders had to go back and refilled.

This is one case where the government said the gas industry had to substantiate the out date period and shortly after the outdating stopped.
Yes, somewhere I read that the military tested stocked pharmaceuticals that were 20 years old, and found that almost every medication had retained 95% potency.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I keep everything. For years past it's expiration date and it still works just fine. I keep mine in a dark cool place in a locked box.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:13 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Optimal Storage is the key...

We buy a certain pharmaceutical that is shipped all over the world as air freight and no special conditions other than the container is Styrofoam...

Thing is upon receipt it is to be kept refrigerated within certain temps... we had a pharmacy door that did not close 100% and the medication was 2 degrees over the temp for about 8 hours... all of it was destroyed... yet it is not controlled when shipped.

The rep admitted it would have been fine...

Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
A relative who is a pharmacist told me that outdated medicine was fine....at worst it just might not have the potency it used to have.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-18-2017 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
A relative who is a pharmacist told me that outdated medicine was fine....at worst it just might not have the potency it used to have.
Good to know. They make such a big deal of insisting you throw it out, I was beginning to wonder if it would kill you or something.

I have a bunch of oxy left from a surgery that I've been saving in case something comes up. Expired in 2014.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Yes, even my own doctor told me that stuff lasts for years and years. Keep it all, folks.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Anecdote FWIW:

when my 3rd kid who has severe autoimmune disease was about to turn 18, move away and take on her own healthcare management and COSTS as a young adult, her peds GI (well respected HEAD of pedi GI at a teaching hosp) who had managed her (complicated) case for 8yr told her to hold onto all her extra bottles of (many, many) drugs she was not taking/took sometimes/went on and off of i.e. prednisone, put them in a Ziploc in the freezer and they could last "TEN years".

He did say some types of meds would break down sooner than that but the ones she had stockpiles of (immunosuppressants, antiinflammatories, antibiotics, antispasmodics), would last for ages if in freezer.
I'm sure he didn't mean literally TEN years but def meant, a LONG time past expiry.
I would be hesitant to freeze medications.

Storage Temperature May Affect Medication - The New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness