Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 29,285 times

Advertisements

I recently had surgery for spinal compression. In those cases, they avoid that surgery. They
try most anything first and surgery is performed as a last resort.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:48 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Burke View Post
I recently had surgery for spinal compression. In those cases, they avoid that surgery. They
try most anything first and surgery is performed as a last resort.
Curious as to what was performed for this condition. Is this similar to degenerative disc disease which is what I deal with. How you doing so far.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:05 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
My orthopedic surgeon has been very conservative regarding treatment for my lousy knees. He did offer cortisone shots for pain if I requested them, but PT has offered a lot of relief, and I use an occasional Lidocaine patch if the pain gets too bad. Surgery really hasn't been discussed even though I really have no cartilage left in the right knee at all. As far as my neck problems go, the surgeon has done several injections, but surgery is contraindicated for the cervical spondylosis. I make do with Voltaren gel and ice packs to dull the pain, especially when I go to bed at night. I've learned to absolutely love ice packs.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:25 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
MOST surgeries are successful. MOST surgeons are going to run a series of tests before ANY surgery - it's required by insurance companies and the surgeons need to see as much of the problem before surgery. They don't cut and go in cold without a plan for this kind of stuff.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:54 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The PRP/Stem Cell doc says cortisone only breaks down more cartlidge. I can't afford the celebrex and I fear side effects as I ended up with ulcer from a anti inflammatory drug years ago. Good luck.
Well, I can't afford the celebrex either, so I get the generic from Canada.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My orthopedic surgeon has been very conservative regarding treatment for my lousy knees. He did offer cortisone shots for pain if I requested them, but PT has offered a lot of relief, and I use an occasional Lidocaine patch if the pain gets too bad. Surgery really hasn't been discussed even though I really have no cartilage left in the right knee at all. As far as my neck problems go, the surgeon has done several injections, but surgery is contraindicated for the cervical spondylosis. I make do with Voltaren gel and ice packs to dull the pain, especially when I go to bed at night. I've learned to absolutely love ice packs.

Dr. Darrow the PRP/Stem Cell MD, says if one can bend the knee(s), there is cartlidge there. He also says once we are "cut" more tissue is cut out. This causes one to go into more arthritis. I can bend both knees, but right is worst and I push thru and keep bending it to keep it as flexible as possible.

Even with knee replacements, some say they still have stiffness and pain. Depends on one's lifestyle as many go for the replacements.

A friend's friend who is in his late 70's had one knee replacement for sure BUT he is an avid athlete and pushes his body.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I alternate with many ointments and oil and have not gone for the voltaren gel. Mix DMSO oil with some other oils like mag oil and jojoba oil.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How many folks here have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon and were told to try non-surgical treatments before or in place of surgery?

I ask because my sister has been in physical therapy and they want her to see a surgeon. She's had no imaging done or had any other kind of treatment for her knee pain - she started physical therapy for a different issue. I'm concerned because she is the type that actually loves getting surgery rather than seeing if other measures could be of use.

My impression has been that surgeons of all ilks tend to find reasons to do surgery, because that's what they do. Is it possible to get balanced advice and treatment from an orthopedic surgeon?
Depends on what the problem is with her knee and what treatments she has had already.

For some conditions that people are referred for to an Orthopaedic surgeon, surgery is the BEST first option. She may have loose bodies, osteochondral defect, ligamentous injury.....for some of these conditions surgery SHOULD be done.

Many conditions can and should be treated non operatively. Orthopaedic surgeons are musculoskeletal experts, that is their training. If I see 100 patients in a week maybe 30 need surgery, majority of patients I see are treated non operatively

Depending on your sister's age, weight, health condition and activity level if she has severe osteoarthritis she may be offered a knee replacement.

Despite what one misguided poster likes to repeat over and over on these threads, just because someone "can bend their knee" it doesn't mean they have any cartilage left. If she has bone on bone arthritis she can still try treatments like cortisone injections or hyaluronic acid injections, bracing, PT, weight loss....

Ultimately patients may decide to forego some of these treatments if the pain is bad enough and the x rays show significant damage, often joint replacement IS the best option

Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
I have, with knee problems and shoulder problems. The knee ended up getting operated on, but the shoulder was fixed by therapy to my surprise and twenty years later, it is starting to act up again.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
Mine did. I had broken the bone in the foot that kind of connects the ankles. I also tore all of the ligaments on both sides of my ankles. He said that I didn't need surgery just a plaster cast. I went through three plaster casts in six months, while in excruciating pain the whole time. I was told that since the ankle was stabelized in the plaster cast that I should have no pain at all. He told me to take ibuprofen. I was young, and I trusted my doctor to know what was best. After six months, the plaster cast came off, and I went to one of those walking casts that you had to inflate the inside. This lasted for three months. I then attempted to go through physical therapy, but I was told that the ligaments had never healed properly and I needed to consult a different surgeon. By this time I was just done with it all. I now have an extremely unstable ankle and severe arthritis in my ankle. Two months ago, I had a different surgeon scope out all of the scar tissue in my ankle because the pain had become unbearable again. That surgeon told me point blank that the first surgeon was a complete idiot. I had injured my ankle and ligaments so badly that surgery should have been the only option. Always get a second opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness