Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times

Advertisements

I have struggled most of my adult life with Constipation. It got worse as I got older especially after 50. I have tried everything but nothing seemed to help until recently. Here is what helped me. I drink 2 glasses of water with Psyllium fiber every morning. I eat 5 prunes with V8 juice plus oatmeal for breakfast (boooring). I drink another glass of water with fiber at 6PM which really makes a huge difference. I avoid cheese (and dairy) rice and bananas. I tried a "Squatty Potty" which was inconvenient and you can accomplish the same thing by leaning forward on the toilet. My hemorrhoids were so bad I thought I would need a dreadful surgery. Now I am regular and if I feel a bout coming on I eat some prunes at 6PM and it helps. Salads, fruits and vegetables are essential as well. Once you get regular and your colon becomes stronger things get and stay better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Yeah, I went from IBS where I poo's like 4 times a day.... to nada. I eat tons of veggies and fiber. I find a few prunes make it better. I should be taking the fiber drink, and I was doing it regularly (pun!!!) and should start again.

I thought it was meds (still could be) and I stopped one of them, but it didn't help.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2017, 11:01 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
OP, I'm 79 and have dealt with a life of constipation and did the prunes and still do and drinking more water, even concentrating on drinking HOT cups of water in am and pm before sleep. Not being real active as it's happened with me from OA issues, I've recently found Bile Acid factors and now having a couple bm's most days. I still make magnesium and Vit C but these bile factors are lifechanging for me NOW.

I take ibuprofen and it does cause constipation.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, I went from IBS where I poo's like 4 times a day.... to nada. I eat tons of veggies and fiber. I find a few prunes make it better. I should be taking the fiber drink, and I was doing it regularly (pun!!!) and should start again.

I thought it was meds (still could be) and I stopped one of them, but it didn't help.
meds certainly can contribute to being stopped up. I do not depend on anything other than as much fiber as possible. I do, on rare occasions have some problems. Yes, prunes as well as apples and cantaloupe can help. At least, along with water and lemon is my go to help; no pun intended. I still eat cheese, but less than in years past. I also try to stay away from processed foods, meat particularly. Oh, I don't mean 100% but I have cut way back.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:00 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
meds certainly can contribute to being stopped up. I do not depend on anything other than as much fiber as possible. I do, on rare occasions have some problems. Yes, prunes as well as apples and cantaloupe can help. At least, along with water and lemon is my go to help; no pun intended. I still eat cheese, but less than in years past. I also try to stay away from processed foods, meat particularly. Oh, I don't mean 100% but I have cut way back.
Same here, we only eat meat twice a week, sometimes three, and very little processed. My diet is pretty good, and shouldn't be the cause.

Maybe it's age? I'm supposed to go in for a scope just to be sure, but I'm not overly worried.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-09-2017, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 718 times
Perhaps you could try colon hydrotherapy! I have constipation issues as well sometimes and I find it really helps me in those situations. I am also a colon-hydrotherapist myself in Houston, Texas!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Since I was 4 if I can't poop all I have to do is walk into a public library within 5 minutes I am desperately trying to find the bathroom. I'm dead serious about this, I'm not sure how/why it happens but as long as I am within driving distance of a library I have never needed a laxative.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:54 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Since I was 4 if I can't poop all I have to do is walk into a public library within 5 minutes I am desperately trying to find the bathroom. I'm dead serious about this, I'm not sure how/why it happens but as long as I am within driving distance of a library I have never needed a laxative.
Funny you mentioned libraries. Half Price Books has that effect on me as well Besides that, I have bad constipation as well. I have tried all sorts of remedies and nothing seems to help. Lately I have been eating kale and cranberries and although I am getting a lot of antioxidants, it doesn't help the constipation. I might need to go to the GI doc, but I don't want to take even more medicine than I do already (which I suspect is the cause of the constipation in the first place).

Old 09-09-2017, 09:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I have suffered with constipation on and off throughout my life and now I am on pain pills and they cause terrible constipation. The one thing that has consistently worked for me is Swiss Kriss which has been around for a long time. It is an herbal remedy that for me works pretty well. It is not harsh, does not cause cramps, and usually provides relief either following morning, or the next day. Miralax is another good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness