Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Declining birth rates, increased nulliparity IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in the increased incidence in shingles in Western countries...proven years ago, unquestionably, scientifically, using biostatistics (not business statistics) by extensive well designed population studies, including comparisons of relatively fecund populations compared to populations which are less so. But...there are other variables including longevity in Western people, the (still largely uncharacterized) immune process itself, variations in varicella strains, Etc.

The vaccine decreases contagious "adult immunizing" cases of chickenpox in children that DO IN FACT "re-immunize" adults to Varicella. That's also been proven.
Could you provide references for your statements, please? Every article I have read about herpes zoster has stated that the factors behind the increase in incidence rates are not yet understood. Countries that do not routinely vaccinate against varicella, including the UK, are still seeing a rise in the incidence of shingles.

Even if the varicella vaccination program did increase the risk of shingles, should we subject children to the risks of varicella for an unproven benefit to lowering the risk of zoster in adults? After all, the current zoster vaccine can reduce the risk for adults by about half and far more reliably than counting on exposure to children with chickenpox, which may never happen for some people even in the absence of a chicken pox vaccine program. Vaccinating children with the chicken pox vaccine and adults with the zoster vaccine tackles both illnesses and reduces harm for the entire population. The advent of the new vaccine, Shingrix, makes that approach even more attractive.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Declining birth rates, increased nulliparity IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in the increased incidence in shingles in Western countries...proven years ago, unquestionably, scientifically, using biostatistics (not business statistics) by extensive well designed population studies, including comparisons of relatively fecund populations compared to populations which are less so. But...there are other variables including longevity in Western people, the (still largely uncharacterized) immune process itself, variations in varicella strains, Etc.

The vaccine decreases contagious "adult immunizing" cases of chickenpox in children that DO IN FACT "re-immunize" adults to Varicella. That's also been proven.
You throw around the word "proven" quite a bit for a whole lot of nonsense you just typed that is ANYTHING BUT PROVEN

Declining birth rates and increased nulliparity is "unquestionably the single most important factor....yada..nonsense...yada... nonsense...yada....nonsense

If this is UNQUESTIONABLY so you should have no trouble referencing??? PROVE IT

Vaccine immunized adults (chicken pox) are LESS likely to develop shingles...that IS PROVEN...rates of shingles were already increasing prior to chicken pox vaccine also PROVEN.... so your other "proven" statement? Not so much...

Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
I'd post a pic of someone eating popcorn, but when I do they get removed.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You throw around the word "proven" quite a bit for a whole lot of nonsense you just typed that is ANYTHING BUT PROVEN

Declining birth rates and increased nulliparity is "unquestionably the single most important factor....yada..nonsense...yada... nonsense...yada....nonsense

If this is UNQUESTIONABLY so you should have no trouble referencing??? PROVE IT

Vaccine immunized adults (chicken pox) are LESS likely to develop shingles...that IS PROVEN...rates of shingles were already increasing prior to chicken pox vaccine also PROVEN.... so your other "proven" statement? Not so much...
20 years is not enough time to prove that children given that chicken pox vaccine aren't going to get shingles in the future. They are in their 20's and younger.

That shingles shot is just a chicken pox "booster" vaccination. In past adults got their booster from being exposed to their own children, and grandchildren, when they had chicken pox.

Adults in their 30's should not have to deal with something like shingles. One vaccination caused the need for another.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:43 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
20 years is not enough time to prove that children given that chicken pox vaccine aren't going to get shingles in the future. They are in their 20's and younger.

That shingles shot is just a chicken pox "booster" vaccination. In past adults got their booster from being exposed to their own children, and grandchildren, when they had chicken pox.

Adults in their 30's should not have to deal with something like shingles. One vaccination caused the need for another.
Some adults "in their 30's" have always gotten shingles.

There is no evidence at this time that the chickenpox vaccination program is causing more adults to get shingles. In countries that do not routinely vaccinate against chickenpox more adults are getting shingles. No one knows specifically why that is happening, but it does not appear to be due to vaccinating children against chickenpox. One vaccination did not cause "the need for another".

We already know that the incidence of shingles in children who have been vaccinated against chickenpox is lower than the incidence in children who have had chickenpox disease.

Many adults can go a long time without being exposed to a child with chickenpox. As far as I can remember, the last cases I was exposed to were when my own children had it. Even in the absence of a chickenpox vaccine, counting on a booster effect from re-exposure to someone with the disease would be a very unreliable way to get a "booster".

Yes, the shingles shot is a "booster". If you take it you reduce your risk of shingles by about 50%. That is better than counting on coming in contact on a random basis with the wild virus to get a "booster".

Old 10-25-2017, 08:59 PM

45 posts, read 28,526 times
My daughter at the age of 16 got it. I was told it was because she had a mild case of chicken
pox when she was a baby.
Though her sister also had a mild case of chicken pox as a baby and did not get shingles.

go figure.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:10 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danii View Post
My daughter at the age of 16 got it. I was told it was because she had a mild case of chicken
pox when she was a baby.
Though her sister also had a mild case of chicken pox as a baby and did not get shingles.

go figure.
I wouldn't say either of my daughters at 11 and 6 had a mild case of chicken pox, although my younger daughter's was much worse than her sister's.

At any rate, the pat answer of get your Shingles vaccination isn't a solution for those in their 30's, let alone teenagers.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Since this will probably turn into an argumentative vaccine thread, it is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness