Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

I have some lingering menstrual and digestive issues that I have a hunch are caused by my Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism. I decided to see a naturopath to see if I can get sorted.

As a first step in diagnosis, I am supposed to go on anti-inflammation elimination diet and see how I feel. I'll kick it off next week. I am really struggling with the idea of nightshades! They are my favorites. I hope they are not the culprits.

Are you doing a similar diet? How do you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 04:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
I did it. And learned that my digestive issues weren't a consequence of getting older, but of the food I was eating. Which totally surprised me, as I was doing it to see if I could maybe get my blood pressure down.

And the foods I can't eat - wheat, dairy, stone fruits, tree nuts, beans, chocolate - I REALLY, REALLY miss - but there's no law making me not eat them, I can eat them if I'm willing to suffer the consequences. Usually, I'm not willing. Because I feel so much better when I don't.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:39 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have some lingering menstrual and digestive issues that I have a hunch are caused by my Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism. I decided to see a naturopath to see if I can get sorted.

As a first step in diagnosis, I am supposed to go on anti-inflammation elimination diet and see how I feel. I'll kick it off next week. I am really struggling with the idea of nightshades! They are my favorites. I hope they are not the culprits.

Are you doing a similar diet? How do you feel?
jade, sometimes if you just eliminate the worst offenders, some of the other things won't bother you. Often, symptoms are "dose related". There are many things that if I eat too many of the wrong things at one time, I will be ill, where other times as long as MOST of what I am eating is not problematic, I will be OK. So maybe you can do small amounts of "nightshades." Sometimes I think the stuff you read about that is overblown, anyway.

Also, try some digestive enzymes with your meals, and probiotics if you don't already do that.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
I love nightshades too. Years ago, I cleared up some issues by eliminating soy from my diet.

I keep it simple now and feel great. Meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables.

Turmeric is also good for inflammation.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Are you taking medication for your Hashimoto's? Once you have your thyroid back to normal levels you should not have any further issues. I have had Hashimoto's form most of my life and I just take Levoxyl.
I find it interesting that your doctor is recommending a certain diet. I eat nightshades all the time with no ill effect.
Your dietary issues I doubt are connected to your thyroid if you are taking taking the right meds to correct it.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Tomatoes can be the culprit for me. Not so much tomato sauce thou.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I've discussed that with my RA doc and he says there is no data to back up the antiinflammation diet. He does support things like fish oil though, because it has shown to reduce inflammation.

You could always try an elimination diet (recommended by my gastro when I was having very bad IBS), to see what food, if any, is causing problems.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Years ago when the OA started bothering me more, another doc gave me info on foods and inflammation and one was egg yolks and so for a while I went with egg whites (boring) and just missed the whole egg...so went back to what so many say "the wonderful egg".

Info is constantly changing.

My latest "find" is BoswellRelief by Life Enhancement....could be helping. Price is right.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
jade, sometimes if you just eliminate the worst offenders, some of the other things won't bother you. Often, symptoms are "dose related". There are many things that if I eat too many of the wrong things at one time, I will be ill, where other times as long as MOST of what I am eating is not problematic, I will be OK. So maybe you can do small amounts of "nightshades." Sometimes I think the stuff you read about that is overblown, anyway.

Also, try some digestive enzymes with your meals, and probiotics if you don't already do that.
This is basically an elimination diet! I am doing it for 4 weeks to see if my symptoms go away. I have been thinking about an elimination diet for a while but hadn't gotten my act together - so now is the time!

The recommendation from the naturopath is basically whole30 minus nightshades, so strict but not too strict.

And then will re-add things to understand if they are dose related or I should avoid altogether. I think the dosing / sources of dairy and wheat are probably my problem children. But I do not generally have a ton of either so it is hard to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Are you taking medication for your Hashimoto's? Once you have your thyroid back to normal levels you should not have any further issues. I have had Hashimoto's form most of my life and I just take Levoxyl.
I find it interesting that your doctor is recommending a certain diet. I eat nightshades all the time with no ill effect.
Your dietary issues I doubt are connected to your thyroid if you are taking taking the right meds to correct it.
I am taking thyroid medications, and my levels are normal and have been for the past 2 years. I still have some lingering skin issues, menstrual issues and digestion issues. So the drugs alone aren't working. I have hear plenty that these things can also cause other issues in your endocrine system and in your hormones.

At this point I am sick of trying to solve one thing, and still having issues. I haven't had normal periods for a while. And my digestion is inconsistent so it is time to try something else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've discussed that with my RA doc and he says there is no data to back up the antiinflammation diet. He does support things like fish oil though, because it has shown to reduce inflammation.

You could always try an elimination diet (recommended by my gastro when I was having very bad IBS), to see what food, if any, is causing problems.
I have an acquaintance that also has Hashimoto's / hypothyroidism and another auto-immune disorder. She is still symptomatic, but she is on the AIP diet and it helps her with symptoms greatly. AIP is super strict, and I wouldn't want to go that route.

I'll be eliminating the worst offenders over this month and see how it goes! I have already done things like eliminate transfats, choose cooking oils wisely, take fish oil, and limit sugar. And I still have issues so there is still some experimentation to do.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Let us know how it goes. I have the thryroid / Hashis, psoriasis, and RA. Tri fecta. I did elimination of wheat for 2 years, and it did nothing.

If you have success, would love to hear it!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness