Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post

I'd like to do something proactive for this if possible. Is there anything that I can do?
Yeah.

Move to Southern Arizona.

That's what I did 45 years ago after having the same miserable condition for the first 26 years of my life in NY winters.

There really isn't any help for your condition except getting away from the climate that causes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 03:57 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Moving doesn't always help. You can move to an area and get a whole new set of allergies based on the allergens there. For example, Arizona is one of the worst states for allergens

OP, why is the Flonase making your nose bleed? I've been using it this year and haven't had that problem

Old 11-12-2017, 04:41 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
I tried Ayr nasal gel. Works OK but a heavier gel based preparation would work better.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I also think we all forgot one of the most important things, which is to hydrate yourself from within. When it's cold, people never drink enough water, so keep it in mind that you need to take in just as much liquid in winter as you do when it's hot and you're sweating.

It doesn't need to be water, either, clear tea or broth would be fine and probably more soothing on your membranes. Just beware of salt and sugar intake if it's not water.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:31 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I get stuffed up in the winter from the cold and the dry indoor air. At night I get so stuffed up that I wake up gasping for air. The only way I can sleep is if I use Xlear nasal spray. It contains xylitol which acts as a moisturizer for the sinuses. I get it on iHerb or Amazon, but I've also seen it at Target.
PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU OWN A DOG that may tend to get into things and chew weird things like one of our dogs would if she had access!!!!

Xylitol can KILL dogs. Don't ever leave the spray laying around for your dog to sneak off with and chew.

Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs. There are certain sugar-free gums, candies, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and baked goods which contain xylitol, a 5-carbon sugar alcohol used as a sweetener. When ingested by dogs, xylitol may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in severe cases, liver failure.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
This is the ONLY product that has helped my nasal congestion and I live in an area where it is winter/cold air for months: (I tried various sprays, etc, and had suffered for years)

https://www.amazon.ca/hydraSense-Con...gestion+relief

It can also be found on amazon.com, but it is on back order.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 AM

143 posts, read 106,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
What about the outdoor face masks??

I tried a light coating of vaseline in my nostrils and WHOA what a difference! Like night and day. I did read it can cause lung problems if used long term which concerns me. Any more ideas about the vaseline?

Seems like very few of us have this problem.
I think beeswax could be a natural alternative.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Organic cold pressed castor oil for lining the nose; can also use it as a facial moisturizier, put light coating on face before going to bed (has to be this type, it's thick and slightly sticky, non-organic is watery; CO has about a billion uses so it's worth getting the good stuff)

2 or 3 daily Oil of oregano drops internally for other symptoms

Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Organic cold pressed castor oil for lining the nose; can also use it as a facial moisturizier, put light coating on face before going to bed (has to be this type, it's thick and slightly sticky, non-organic is watery;
I found some at WalMart that was cold-pressed and hexane free, but no mention of organic. It is very thick. So thick that it would actually be hard to spread it over my whole face...it would have to have a little bit of some other kind of oil (almond and olive are two I've seen recommended) mixed in. I believe it would be great for sticking up your nose! It was in the laxative section and was not expensive...that organic stuff is too high-priced. This is it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Humco-Sti...fl-oz/10417573

I actually bought it for my eyelashes and eyebrows, to make them grow and fill in...and it worked!

Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,916 times
You all are awesome. I thought the thread had died. To the poster who asked about nose bleeds with Flonase, my understanding is that it is pretty common for Flonase to further aggravate a dry nose once it reaches a certain threshold. This is what my ENT said. Advised me to stay off of it when things got really bad and return when things stabilized.

Feel free to keep the responses coming. I am going to respond to each of these individually as well.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness