Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 PM

282 posts, read 233,059 times

Advertisements

The vaseline thing, va_lucky - you don't put it IN your nose. Just wipe a tiny amount (no more than would fit on the head of a pin) on the ridge that leads into your nose. The part that always gets red, raw, and sore when you have to use 10 tissues every morning just to keep the snot from dripping into your coffee (can you tell I've been there? Yes I have!).

At night, use the same amount of Vicks vapo-rub, but even further away from the inside of your nose. still just outside it, not too close to your lip but more in that direction. If it stings, you're putting it too close to your nostrils. Use a little veggie oil to dilute and wipe it away (straight down toward your upper lip) if that happens.

When it's cold enough that you can see your own breath, definitely cover your mouth and nose with a loose cloth or scarf. You could even learn now to wrap a very very long scarf hijab-style. That's what I do in the winter. One of my neighbors is Muslim and wears it that way all the time, and she taught me how to wrap my Pashmina scarf in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I found some at WalMart that was cold-pressed and hexane free, but no mention of organic. It is very thick. So thick that it would actually be hard to spread it over my whole face...it would have to have a little bit of some other kind of oil (almond and olive are two I've seen recommended) mixed in. I believe it would be great for sticking up your nose! It was in the laxative section and was not expensive...that organic stuff is too high-priced. This is it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Humco-Sti...fl-oz/10417573

I actually bought it for my eyelashes and eyebrows, to make them grow and fill in...and it worked!
I wonder if they added anything to it.

You can use regular CO for constipation, moisturizer, "nostril clearer," antiseptic for cuts, for eye irritation (blepheritis), it also has numbing properties and can be used for mild toothaches. Add it to wool fabric and use a heating pad over your belly for digestion or on your back for a backache.

So useful. I'm sure other people have used it for many, many more health issues.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I wonder if they added anything to it.
No, not according to the ingredients label.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:19 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,916 times
Thanks everyone, I have ended up using these two products that can actually go in my nostrils. In particular, the Ayr seems to help. The neilmed stuff was more pricey and leaves my nose stuffy. Kind of surprised but not really. Feels like my nose reacts too much to the intrusion.

I appreciate each and every comment here.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ayr-Salin...3=2015&veh=sem

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ne...5&reactjs=true

Old 12-08-2017, 07:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
What about the outdoor face masks??

I tried a light coating of vaseline in my nostrils and WHOA what a difference! Like night and day. I did read it can cause lung problems if used long term which concerns me. Any more ideas about the vaseline?

Seems like very few of us have this problem.

There are saline gels - you don't need to use Vaseline. Castor oil contains more biologically active chemicals (like ricinoleic acid) than simple saline gel - its preferable to use the gel if possible. While Castor oil, properly made, is not an acute toxicant there are some studies indicating to be a problem if used chronically. So if you need to use something everyday better just to go for saline gel (if it works of course...). The Ayr gel contains generally inert chemicals and Aloe extract.

The Asian-style pollution/allergy mask you say may also work - simply by recirculating the moist air for breathing in. The ambient moisture level of the air in the mask will be higher than that of the surrounding air, which should aid your symptoms.

Last edited by bg7; 12-08-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 09:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
When I had sinus surgery a couple years back, my surgeon told me to put vaseline in my nasal passages. I didn't like it and asked if there was something else I could use that wasn't petroleum-based and was less heavy. He recommended Ayr. To be honest, I didn't really like having it in my nostrils either, but it was a big improvement over vaseline:

https://www.amazon.com/ASCHER-B-F-CO...S99O6FS73&th=1

Otherwise I don't have many ideas. Do you think you drink enough fluids? Even though that's internal, it can help prevent skin from drying out. Try using lip balm if you aren't already using it.

I've tried using xylitol, and even nasal sprays with xylitol give me really bad intestinal trouble. It is some peculiar sugar that can't actually be used by the body. I am surprised by its popularity. (I guess others simply have different responses to it.)

Edit: well, now that I've read the whole thread, I see that Ayr has already been brought up and tried.

I use a SinuPulse irrigation unit for nasal irrigation, and I find it much more helpful than squeeze bottles (the worst) or neti pots. Unfortunately, the o-ring on these things wears out quickly. Otherwise, they are reasonably well-made:

https://www.target.com/p/sinu-pulse-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 12-08-2017 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness