Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM

70 posts, read 237,852 times

Advertisements

I have a rare form of Scoliosis in that my spine curves in the shape of a backwards C rather than the S shape people commonly have. I have had 8 spinal fusions, and I have 4 rods that are screwed in. My last surgery, they took all the flexibility out of my spine and made it rigid, they rebuilt and reconstructed my spine, and fused both the front and back of my spine. It took two surgeries (they had to split the surgery in half) a week apart to do all this. However, I feel better than I did before surgery and look better too, and that was the case with each surgery, I got better each time.

The problem is that 3 years ago my left foot started alternating between being numb with no feeling, or spasms of pain shooting through it, or a heavy numb feeling kind of like when your hand goes into a deep sleep where you have no tingling sensation just a heaviness. I went to the doctor and he said a number of things could cause that, so he sent me for labwork to check for Diabetes and vitamin defienciencys, the labwork came back normal. Then he sent me to a Cardiologist to have two arterial exams to see if I had a blood clot or circulation problem, those tests came back normal too. Next he sent me to an Orthopedic doctor who told me that one of my rods had broke and was pushing against a sciatic nerve, he couldn't do surgery because my spine is fused too solid, he said that he couldn't even go in and replace the broken rod without paralyzing me. He also couldn't give me steroid shots for the same reason they couldn't do a C-section when my son was double breech, said my spine was too messed up and no doctor in his right mind would stick a needle in my back. He sent me to a Neurologist for nerve studies to see how damaged my nerves were, the Neurologist said I had significant nerve damage and sent me back to the Orthopedic doctor who put me on Lyrica.

The Lyrica made my foot feel normal for a couple of months, then it seemed to have no effect. So, I quit taking it, felt I was wasting my money for medicine that wasn't working, and the Doctor refused to up the dosage, he said that Lyrica is very addictive.

I have been without Lyrica for several months now. Since I stopped taking Lyrica I've noticed that the sensations are no longer in just my foot, they are in my leg as well.

Has anyone had this sort of problem with their leg and foot? It is driving me nuts. It alternates day and night between the three sensations.

Is it possible that I've been misdiagnosed because of my history with back problems? Here's why I think they may be wrong about the cause of my problem. If you put your hand on my right leg and foot it feels warm to the touch, but my left leg and foot feels like ice when you touch it, this to me indicates a circulation problem.

Does anyone know a way I can get relief without putting drugs in my body?

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I know it's a long read, but I'm desparate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I am sorry that you are in such pain. My spine has fused naturally (ankylosing spondylitis) and I am in a lot of pain as well as wheelchair bound. I know that you wish to be med free but sometimes that simply is not feasible.

I am assuming that the Docs that you've sought have done studies and physical exams and you are absolutely within your rights to seek a second as well as a third opinion. I would not hold my breath, however and I would prepare myself for news that might not be pleasant.

My legs and feet are always cold and I AM prone to blood clots (thrombophilia)- even so other than massaging my limbs to discourage the formation of clots as well as taking coumadin there is NOTHING to be done for 'poor circulation'.

Please bear in mind that I am NOT a medical professional, merely a fellow sufferer and my best advice is to seek a second opinion and pray for the best.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,149 times
My daughter has the same issue. After her operation she's had problems with her blood circulation. One door warm other cold.
I believe the operation has definitely been the problem and how the orthopaedic surgeon is to blame
We are going to a neurologist and see what happens from there
Wish I had not approved to get her spine altered and instead waited and gone to and seeked other options.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:19 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Sounds like a side effect of sciatica.....that nerve may be badly pinched....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness