Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 04:00 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,702 posts, read 2,534,600 times

Advertisements

I had CT surgery January 19 and have enjoyed a fairly uneventful recovery, except for some stubborn scar tissue just to the right of the incision. I followed my surgeon's instructions (apply lotion and massage the surgical site and palm firmly 5-6 times per day), but I can't seem to make a dent in this ridge. She discharged me last Thursday, agreed that the scar tissue could be stubborn, and encouraged me to continue the massage. It's a week later, and I've made no visible progress despite my efforts.

I'd appreciate any advice or feedback from those who have had the surgery and perhaps struggled with something similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,456,707 times
So sorry for your problem with scar tissue. My surgeon told me that younger people may tend to develop scar tissue more than older people because they have a bigger scar response to surgery. He also said that some people just tend to develop more scar tissue than most.

I had CT surgery on both hands, one at a time, 20 years ago. Each surgery was on a Friday and I went back to my computer job the following Monday. I never did anything to the incision sites and the scars healed up very well. But, then, I was 51 years old at the time, so I might be considered an "older person" for the surgery.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
So sorry for your problem with scar tissue. My surgeon told me that younger people may tend to develop scar tissue more than older people because they have a bigger scar response to surgery. He also said that some people just tend to develop more scar tissue than most.

I had CT surgery on both hands, one at a time, 20 years ago. Each surgery was on a Friday and I went back to my computer job the following Monday. I never did anything to the incision sites and the scars healed up very well. But, then, I was 51 years old at the time, so I might be considered an "older person" for the surgery.
Thanks for your response. You had the open surgery, not the endoscopy? I wish I could attribute it to youth, but I'm nearly 49. I do have a mild condition that may be accelerating the response, but so far I've found no definitive connection (only anecdotal).

Old 02-22-2018, 07:49 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,456,707 times
Yes, I had the open surgery. Endoscopic CT surgery was apparently in its infancy back then (I looked it up and my surgery was actually 25 years ago) and my surgeon wasnt comfortable with endoscopy.

Every body reacts differently to surgery. Maybe your body is just prone to making scar tissue. My body swells up really badly. When I had lasik surgery in 2004, I had scheduled 3 days' vacation from work but ended up having to take my entire vacation (3 weeks) because my eyes swelled up so badly that I couldnt see. And, when I had emergency stroke surgery, my neck and head swelled up so badly that I was in ICU for over 2 weeks. So be glad you have to deal with only scar tissue.

There are probably websites addressing how to massage scar tissue and other ways to minimize it. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2018, 01:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
My 1st one was open, small scar that has never been a problem. Other hand was some years later and in another state. Endoscopic, no problems, either.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:19 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times
It's probably going to take a long time for the scar to show reduction. It just seems that you might be expecting results a bit too fast. I would give it six months at least.

I had open CTR surgery on both hands (one at a time). The first time by a neurosurgeon and I specifically asked him to "hide" the scar in the creases of the palm. When I had the second one (some years later) I told the new neuro that he had to do the same. He felt it was a challenge. LOL

Anyway, just keep rubbing that cream in!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 PM

Thanks all -- patience is not my strong suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness