Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 03:13 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times

Advertisements

Does our health really have to go south in order to get a CAT scan, or more in-depth tests with regard to our health, if we don't feel well?

My symptoms and health issues/concerns are numerous and my conscience isn't at ease - is there any way I could request a scan of my body to see if there are any cancerous growths?

Or are we at the mercy of just having to deteriorate so bad in order for us to get more in-depth looks into our bodies/health?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 03:40 AM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
It may depend on your primary doctor. Mine happens to be very proactive and doesn't hesitate to pull the trigger for tests on anything she finds troubling.

Of course, that may be because she's been my doctor for 30+ years.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:26 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Does our health really have to go south in order to get a CAT scan, or more in-depth tests with regard to our health, if we don't feel well?

My symptoms and health issues/concerns are numerous and my conscience isn't at ease - is there any way I could request a scan of my body to see if there are any cancerous growths?

Or are we at the mercy of just having to deteriorate so bad in order for us to get more in-depth looks into our bodies/health?
You do realize that scanning your whole body would give you tons of radiation right? CT is one of those things where the benefit needs to outweigh the risk.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:52 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:

Tests are done either for screening or for diagnosis. In order to be done for screening, there has to be a significant probability of picking something up at a time when treatment will be more successful than waiting for it to become symptomatic, such as screening colonoscopy. A diagnostic test is done when there are signs or symptoms that indicate it is needed to arrive at a diagnosis. Not only do some tests have risks, like the radiation from a CT scan, they can also be expensive. Insurance will not cover them without a clear indication. Also, there is no guarantee that a CT scan would pick up all cancers.

The best thing to do is to discuss your specific concerns with your primary care doctor. That might mean making several appointments, because evaluating an extensive list of symptoms in one visit can be difficult.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You do realize that scanning your whole body would give you tons of radiation right? CT is one of those things where the benefit needs to outweigh the risk.
Exactly. If we're going to ask for science based and evidence based medicine, you actually have to have a good reason to risk the adverse effects of a CT scan versus what you think you'll gain (peace of mind is not a measurable health outcome).

Old 03-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Okay, it's good to know.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:32 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Okay, it's good to know.

Thanks for the replies.
Take control of your health with Prevention...study, read books, read the net, there is a LOT of good info in the Alt Med area here. I'm headed to 80 and those scans are the last thing I would ever think to do. I've been working on Prevention with all I do for over 25 yrs.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Take control of your health with Prevention...study, read books, read the net, there is a LOT of good info in the Alt Med area here. I'm headed to 80 and those scans are the last thing I would ever think to do. I've been working on Prevention with all I do for over 25 yrs.
I'm cutting out my tobacco use for good now. Haven't had a drink in 14 months.

The tobacco was making me sick I think - the withdrawal off of it was just grotesque. Definitely longer than liquor withdrawal. I thought I was going insane.

Ugh.

Now next up is I'd like to eliminate sugar from my diet - or limit it far more or to a day or two every week or month.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:46 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
I'm cutting out my tobacco use for good now. Haven't had a drink in 14 months.

The tobacco was making me sick I think - the withdrawal off of it was just grotesque. Definitely longer than liquor withdrawal. I thought I was going insane.

Ugh.

Now next up is I'd like to eliminate sugar from my diet - or limit it far more or to a day or two every week or month.
Yikes, get rid of the tobacco, save your life hopefully. A friend's son starting chewing in his baseball playing days in high school and on and she recently buried him and he was 50something. My grandkids dad didn't quit smoking soon enough, of course, never should have touched those, they lost him when he was 55 a few yrs ago.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Yeah I was a late user in tobacco. Started in college, age 24, did it for 2 years, quit for about 8-9 years, then started again a couple years ago, on and off.

It's time to leave it behind me for good. Just toxic, wretched stuff..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness