Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times

Advertisements

My MIL has been suffering for a year from pain in the back of her neck that radiates into the back of her head. She's had the MRIs and x-rays and CATscans, and none of these diagnostics have found anything. She's seen orthopedics and neurologists, and the best they can say is that it's muscle inflammation that affects the nerves, thus the pain. For treatments she's had steroid shots, massage, acupuncture, meds (from over-the-counter pain relievers to prescriptions including Valium.) Nothing has worked -- some treatments have temporarily relieved the pain, but for a very short time.

She has arthritis and has had her knees replaced (more than 10 years ago) as well as work done on some of her hand and finger joints (many years ago.) About 5 years ago she had a small stroke (at least that's what they said), and she's been on Coumadin ever since along with a bunch of other meds - the list I don't know. The neurologist did use his hand-held gadget to check that her meds were not conflicting - he did take her off one or two meds, but no ill-effects nor did it take away the neck pain.

My frustration is showing here -- there MUST be an answer to diagnose and treat the pain. It's debilitating - some days are worse than others, and when that occurs, she spends hours uncomfortably in bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
I have something similar from a soft-tissue injury I sustained years ago. I have had extremely good results from stretching and exercise, and strengthening of the affected areas. When I do still occasionally get a flare-up, it's at a much less painful level and can be mitigated by a couple of ibuprofen now.

I would highly recommend that your relative seek the services of a professional exercise therapist who can help her set up a routine that will make those muscles stronger and decrease/prevent future problems. She needs a routine that will include stretching exercises and strengthening exercises. She also needs to drink sufficient water.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
have you tried a chiropractor?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 AM

MiamiRob I think she did try a chiropractor - when she had the massage therapy as well as some sort of adjustments I believe.

RoaminRed I was thinking exercise might help - thanks for recommending that.

Anyone know if diet makes a difference? I did some research on rheumatoid arthritis and found that some foods can increase inflammation (one was certain cereals).

Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
have you tried a chiropractor?
Chiropractors do not FIX things...they temporarily alleviate symptoms. A chiropractor is not interested in healing you, they are interested in having you continue to come back to them time and time again so that they can continue to collect their money.

Ever hear someone say "I'm addicted to my chiropractor!"? Think about what that means.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
This sounds similar to what I experience. I was diagnosed with severe tension headaches. This was some time ago. I was given a prescription for a muscle relaxer but don't need it any more. Try excedrin Migraine or excedrin tension, These are pain reliever with caffine; Migraine has acetomenophin and asprin the other is just acetominephin

Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Chiropractors do not FIX things...they temporarily alleviate symptoms. A chiropractor is not interested in healing you, they are interested in having you continue to come back to them time and time again so that they can continue to collect their money.

Ever hear someone say "I'm addicted to my chiropractor!"? Think about what that means.

it was merely a suggestion , no need for the snooty ass remarks.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
This sounds similar to what I experience. I was diagnosed with severe tension headaches. This was some time ago. I was given a prescription for a muscle relaxer but don't need it any more. Try excedrin Migraine or excedrin tension, These are pain reliever with caffine; Migraine has acetomenophin and asprin the other is just acetominephin
That's interesting - I get something similar sometimes when I'm trying to get to sleep (pain radiating into the back of my head) and the only way I can make it stop is by completely relaxing, which takes so much concentration I can't do it for very long. It's very frustrating.

I'm sure it only happens when I've got a lot happening so I'm all tensed up. It's better if I lie on my back, but I can't really sleep that way. I might have a look to see if we have any medication that sounds like the ones you mention here. Although I'd want to avoid anything with caffeine if I'm being kept awake to begin with.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post

It depends on the chiropractor. You could make the same argument for many MDs too.

I threw my back out a few years back and could not even stand up straight. One visit to the chiropractor (and 3 or 4 follow-up visits, not a lifetime) and it sure seemed FIXed to me.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Update

My MIL went to a pain management clinic, and the MD diagnosed the problem as arthritis in her neck which makes her neck stiff which causes the inflammation in the muscles thus irritating the nerves to cause the pain. He can't do anything for the arthritis, but he says he can alleviate the pain and inflammation through physical therapy and additional acupuncture.

This would all make sense - she is in a Catch 22 situation -- can't move well because of the arthritis and not moving causes the muscle inflammation. And it would explain why all the treatments haven't worked - none of them treated the actual cause, the arthritis.

Fingers crossed that she's now in the care of someone who can truly help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness