Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

I have been going to the same doctor for the past 20 years, and every few years there would be a month or so where he would be out of the office... I have heard people say he was in rehab, although the office staff would say he’s “on sabbatical”.

About a month ago on the day of my appointment the receptionist calls me and says the doctor “didn’t come in today” and she’ll need to reschedule me for the next day, and when I get there the next day he seems weird, almost like he’s drunk, even his speech seemed a bit slurred. Well, about a week ago I get a call telling me that he didn’t show up at the office another day and was found dead at his home. I was saddened, but not shocked. I guess the truth will come out after an autopsy.

So, I’m just curious how many people suspect their doctor may have a drug or alcohol problem ? And I hate to think like this, but I almost worry now when finding new doctor that I will be labeled since I’m the former patient of an addict.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-26-2018 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 06:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I don't see why you'd be judged because you were his patient. I think you'll be okay finding a new doctor. And he might have died from something other than drugs or alcohol, doctors get sick too.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:29 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
I switched to a new gynecologist a few years ago after witnessing some bizarre behavior in her office. She had always been a little "off" and had said some strange things, but that particular day she was either on a stimulant (and way too much), or was taking testosterone or another hormone, or was possibly bipolar and off meds. I left, as did several other patients in the waiting room. A lot more women stayed, which I found really weird.

When I mentioned to my primary care doctor that I had switched to a new gyn due to her bizarre behavior he nodded and said he had heard similar stories from other patients. At no time did I feel that he judged me for having stuck it out for the few years when she was just a little off. They know that some of their colleagues have issues. I would bet that the medical profession, like the legal profession, has a certain amount of continuing education credits required every few years in dealing with addiction because those professions are high-stress and have a disproportionate number of addicts compared to the general population.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:37 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Why would you expect yourself to have sussed out a problem with someone you saw infrequently? And that another doctor would hold that against you?

Unfortunately, we may have the *expectation* that doctors and other professionals have their ish together better than we mere mortals, but they are just people – with all the attendant human problems the rest of us have. Advanced education doesn't trump that.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have been going to the same doctor for the past 20 years, and every few years there would be a month or so where he would be out of the office... I have heard people say he was in rehab, although the office staff would say he’s “on sabbatical”.

About a month ago on the day of my appointment the receptionist calls me and says the doctor “didn’t come in today” and she’ll need to reschedule me for the next day, and when I get there the next day he seems weird, almost like he’s drunk, even his speech seemed a bit slurred. Well, about a week ago I get a call telling me that he didn’t show up at the office another day and was found dead at his home. I was saddened, but not shocked. I guess the truth will come out after an autopsy.

So, I’m just curious how many people suspect their doctor may have a drug or alcohol problem ? And I hate to think like this, but I almost worry now when finding new doctor that I will be labeled since I’m the former patient of an addict.

(Title should read *suspect*, not expect)
1. You have no "evidence" that your former physician was a "drug" addict other than unsubstantiated rumors

2. More likely is your physician had a medical issue that was being treated. If he was in "rehab" this would have been closely monitored by the medical board in your state since every medical board has procedures in place to handle physicians with substance abuse issues.

3. The "truth won't come out after autopsy" since even if there was an autopsy why do you believe YOU would be entitled to know the results? If there was a known medical issue and depending on your physician's age at death there likely won't be an autopsy.

4. The last statement of your gossip column says more about you than your former physician...why on earth would you think YOU would be labeled even if your former physician had a substance abuse issue?? This was about HIM not YOU and trust me no physician cares what "issues" your former physician did or didn't do in their personal lives....

Old 04-26-2018, 08:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. You have no "evidence" that your former physician was a "drug" addict other than unsubstantiated rumors

2. More likely is your physician had a medical issue that was being treated. If he was in "rehab" this would have been closely monitored by the medical board in your state since every medical board has procedures in place to handle physicians with substance abuse issues.

3. The "truth won't come out after autopsy" since even if there was an autopsy why do you believe YOU would be entitled to know the results? If there was a known medical issue and depending on your physician's age at death there likely won't be an autopsy.

4. The last statement of your gossip column says more about you than your former physician...why on earth would you think YOU would be labeled even if your former physician had a substance abuse issue?? This was about HIM not YOU and trust me no physician cares what "issues" your former physician did or didn't do in their personal lives....
I live in a small town and the rumor mill runs rampant here. Many people in my town are already saying they think he overdosed, and how all of his patients are “hooked on pain meds”. Supposedly, all of the pill heads in the area are “in a panic” over his death. I suspect the other doctors here think it too, even though they won’t admit it. I don’t know his exact age, but I think he was about 50.

The thing is, I have been prescribed Xanax since I was 18 years old for panic attacks, but I don’t abuse them, a 30 day supply usually lasts me about 4-5 months. I just don’t want the other docs thinking I’m a pill seeker when they see Xanax on my records. I don’t know, I guess I worry too much about that stuff.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I've done enough reading and hearing issues about MD's abusing the drugs they have access to. Personally I have not seen it, I don't think BUT, I don't see many doctors. I do recall an allergist I saw who was always kinda spaced out and a very red nose and he was treating me. I heard some yrs later that Dr. K committed suicide. I'll send you a note on the Xanax.

Doctors have issues and many are burned out and stressed with their professions, the longer in them.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:55 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've done enough reading and hearing issues about MD's abusing the drugs they have access to. Personally I have not seen it, I don't think BUT, I don't see many doctors. I do recall an allergist I saw who was always kinda spaced out and a very red nose and he was treating me. I heard some yrs later that Dr. K committed suicide. I'll send you a note on the Xanax.

Doctors have issues and many are burned out and stressed with their professions, the longer in them.
Spaced out and a red nose means what exactly? The flu? A cold?

And you're sending a "note" on Xanax to the OP? You should be very careful giving medical advice to people who have been on meds for decades.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Spaced out and a red nose means what exactly? The flu? A cold?

And you're sending a "note" on Xanax to the OP? You should be very careful giving medical advice to people who have been on meds for decades.
What I do is my business....thanks.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live in a small town and the rumor mill runs rampant here. Many people in my town are already saying they think he overdosed, and how all of his patients are “hooked on pain meds”. Supposedly, all of the pill heads in the area are “in a panic” over his death. I suspect the other doctors here think it too, even though they won’t admit it. I don’t know his exact age, but I think he was about 50.

The thing is, I have been prescribed Xanax since I was 18 years old for panic attacks, but I don’t abuse them, a 30 day supply usually lasts me about 4-5 months. I just don’t want the other docs thinking I’m a pill seeker when they see Xanax on my records. I don’t know, I guess I worry too much about that stuff.
No, you are not worrying too much.

It didn't make sense to me either until you explained it this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness