Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 04:42 PM

90 posts, read 126,118 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had the opportunity to watch What The Health on Netflix yet? If so what did you think of it?
I honestly don’t know if I believe it or not. I won’t give it away but I would be interested in your comments.
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:41 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Your post led me to look it up and start watching it. Here's the maddening thing to me as someone who truly does watch what I eat and attempts to correct health ills thru diet and that is that there seems to be two main camps out there and both can pull up major studies to back them up.

The camp that is shown in this film is the high carb/low fat group and they say sugar matters very little as long as you avoid red meat and processed meats and that a vegan diet is best. The other camp says fat is good as long as it's healthy fat and that the less carbs/sugar you eat, the better for your health. Since I'm a sugar junkie, I've found that a lower carb/sugar diet tends to be better for me but I don't eat red meat or processed meats and I'm almost a vegetarian. However, I can eat a sugar-free diet and still gain weight on complex carbs and yeah I could stand to lose about 20 lbs.

My daughter has had great success with a vegan diet and she's started eating an added-sugar-free diet as well, so we shall see. This poor girl has had weight problems since she was six weeks old and breast-fed.

My personal theory is that you should eat only foods that were available 200 years or more ago, because they were already getting junk food on the market 100 years ago. I think only the very wealthy ate much meat but much of that was wild game, so I don't think you need much meat to be healthy but you do need to be mindful of getting enough protein. 200 years ago sugar was a luxury good and only the wealthy ate much of it. As for the paleo diet, I think modern folks would be completely grossed out if they were confronted with a true paleo dish. Raw liver anyone? Fish that were caught and set out in a bucket of saltwater for a few weeks? Yum.

But I look at it this way too...every generation has its health challenges and we're not unique in that. 200 years ago people were dying of TB and gangrene so there you go. We still live longer than people did in those days but these days I'm not sure that quality of life is there for many people.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 AM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Doesn't this post belong tn the TV forum?

Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Doesn't this post belong tn the TV forum?
I think it's appropriate here.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
I watched it, but I like those kind of documentaries. Forks over Knifes, Sugar Coated, Food Inc...seen them all.
I take everything with a grain of salt, of course, but I think there's valid points in them all.

We are just eating too much garbage.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I watched part and stopped, and I've watched the one's on Keto, and read all kinds of books.

I still believe that moderation and variety is the key to getting the most out of your diet.

I've done keto twice and both times it made my RA/FM flare horribly, my preferred diet is grains/veggies/fruit but with age I am getting blood sugar issues so minimal fruits and grains, and higher lean protein.

I do not think there is a one size fits all answer.

One trend I've noticed is they take people who are eating a totally crappy diet, and put them on eating style "X" and miracle of miracles!!! They are healthier.

Well, yeah, they were eating twinkies, frozen pizzas and doritos.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2018, 06:45 PM

90 posts, read 126,118 times
I follow a Mediterranean diet and also believe you need to eat in moderation. I was a vegetarian for 10 years after I had my gallbladder removed. I thought I would lose weight but I found myself gaining weight. After 10 years I started to add meat into my diet. A little chicken twice a month. The show made me think that moderation is best the best avenue for me. I like all foods. Not many things I don't like so I will enjoy tasing everything.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 PM

386 posts, read 327,501 times
I watched it. Raising cows has led to the world losing many forests. Red meat and dairy cause inflammation in our bodies, which leads to obesity, disease and heart complications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness