Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 08:14 AM

401 posts, read 529,103 times

Advertisements

Hoping to find someone who has dealt with this. Especially someone who acquires the condition in connection with summer and/or beach-related activities.

I don't need any internet links, thanks. Just looking for first-person experiences and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Hoping to find someone who has dealt with this. Especially someone who acquires the condition in connection with summer and/or beach-related activities.

I don't need any internet links, thanks. Just looking for first-person experiences and info.
I didn't really have peroneal tendonitis to any great degree (just various tendons throughout my feet because my Achilles tendon fell apart, sort of wreaking havoc on my entire foot - both legs). But I will say this - though I've recovered well from the surgeries (last one was 4 years ago), my feet will never be the same again and on occasion I do have various tendons flare up. I have learned that I simply can't go barefoot or wear flip flops or any shoes that don't offer me a lot of support throughout the bottom and sides of my feet.

I can walk on sand at the beach but I'm a lot slower now due to the pain or potential pain of tendons flaring up - and don't even get me started on plantar fasciitis!

I have found that Born and Sofft both make really cute and supportive sandals so that's helpful. Basically, my cheap shoes days are over. But I don't have to look like I'm wearing orthopedic shoes! There are lots of good brands out there that offer good support - that has been critical for me.

Even wearing good shoes, when I stand for a long time, I have pain and swelling, but I have resumed a fully active life, including lots of walking - like for instance when we're on vacation I will walk a lot but as long as I 1) wear good shoes and 2) change shoes out each day, not wearing the same shoes two days in a row, and 3) sit down throughout the day and get off my feet a bit, I'm fine. I have even gone hiking in the Alps! So things can get better.

Icing and elevation during flare ups helps a lot too - and ibuprofen. Also compression socks in the winter.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM

401 posts, read 529,103 times
Thanks so much for your reply.

I spend most of each summer at the beach, and for whatever reason/cause - I have been totally sidelined and incapacitated by this Peroneal Tendonitis for a few of the last many years I have done exactly the same thing. Not every year - which is part of why I am so puzzled by exactly what the cause is.

There are so many potential contributing factors, that it is hard to identify and change just one variable at a time - and still have any part of the summer left to see if it helped.

- walking on soft sand, -walking on sloped/angled to one or both sides (depending on which direction being walked on the beach), -wearing flip-flops or wearing old worn-out "beach" shoes that you don't care about getting full of sand or wet or lost/destroyed/stolen, etc......, -swimming and/or kicking while in the water, -jumping over and in the waves while in the water......

you can see the list is almost endless. It is frustrating being at the beach and being unable to do anything - can't walk at all without a severe limp because the pain is so bad whenever I try to take a step and transfer my weight to the front of my foot. So I am stuck inside spending most of my summer at a computer screen instead of outside enjoying the beautiful beach. It sucks.

The last time I got this condition I think it was 2 or 3 years ago (even though I did EXACTLY the same thing last year and never had any problems) - I was still limping around barely able to walk at all deep into the winter so I am terrified that I am facing a repeat of that nightmare this time.

Was hoping someone who had a similar experience would stumble across this and help me figure out which one of the variables I should try eliminating or changing. I guess it could be a combination of several of even all of them.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I spend most of each summer at the beach, and for whatever reason/cause - I have been totally sidelined and incapacitated by this Peroneal Tendonitis for a few of the last many years I have done exactly the same thing. Not every year - which is part of why I am so puzzled by exactly what the cause is.

There are so many potential contributing factors, that it is hard to identify and change just one variable at a time - and still have any part of the summer left to see if it helped.

- walking on soft sand, -walking on sloped/angled to one or both sides (depending on which direction being walked on the beach), -wearing flip-flops or wearing old worn-out "beach" shoes that you don't care about getting full of sand or wet or lost/destroyed/stolen, etc......, -swimming and/or kicking while in the water, -jumping over and in the waves while in the water......

you can see the list is almost endless. It is frustrating being at the beach and being unable to do anything - can't walk at all without a severe limp because the pain is so bad whenever I try to take a step and transfer my weight to the front of my foot. So I am stuck inside spending most of my summer at a computer screen instead of outside enjoying the beautiful beach. It sucks.

The last time I got this condition I think it was 2 or 3 years ago (even though I did EXACTLY the same thing last year and never had any problems) - I was still limping around barely able to walk at all deep into the winter so I am terrified that I am facing a repeat of that nightmare this time.

Was hoping someone who had a similar experience would stumble across this and help me figure out which one of the variables I should try eliminating or changing. I guess it could be a combination of several of even all of them.

I am really sorry you're going through this.

Have you been to a good orthopedic doctor for a concise diagnosis?

Have you ever taken Cipro or Levaquin or any other antibiotics from the fluoroquinolone family?

Old 07-17-2018, 01:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:

Could certainly be multifactorial with the most common causes being the soft sand/sloped sand combined with poor foot wear (or no footwear)

If it were me and wanted to try one thing that might combat multiple factors like you have listed would try a good quality sandal/water shoe like KEEN shoes which have integrated arch support

If you are looking to try and change one variable of the activities you listed, walking on sloped beaches is the most likely culprit, better to stay close to the waterline/level beach or even trudge through soft sand.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Could certainly be multifactorial with the most common causes being the soft sand/sloped sand combined with poor foot wear (or no footwear)

If it were me and wanted to try one thing that might combat multiple factors like you have listed would try a good quality sandal/water shoe like KEEN shoes which have integrated arch support

If you are looking to try and change one variable of the activities you listed, walking on sloped beaches is the most likely culprit, better to stay close to the waterline/level beach or even trudge through soft sand.
I agree on the Keen's.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
I've had plantar fasciitis and I know it was from a sudden change in how I used my feet (I thought 40 was a great age to take ice skating lessons). So my question is how you use your feet when you're not at the beach? Do you wear good shoes all winter or just not do much walking? Because some unusual strain is all it takes to hurt your tendons. Or a sudden change in how you use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness