Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 03:26 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

Never had any issue with this before but two weeks ago I started feeling a strange blockage in my left ear. Thought it could be ear wax but then wasn't sure, I bought some ear wax drops and tried for a day and it did not improve so went to the doc just to be safe and sure enough he confirmed ear wax buildup. They irrigated my ear (done by an assistant) after which now I have even worse hearing in that ear so went back to the doc who said they removed only half of it I use bud earphones in the gym and also when riding my motorcycle (which is only once a month) I use foam earplugs - the type that compress and expand in your ear. However, I have been using these type of plugs since 2001 and never had any issues.

Anyways, the irrigation stuff seriously irritated my ear canal and ear in general so did not want anymore of that, said I would try the ear wax drops.

I have around 30% reduced hearing in that ear. Depending on the position of my head it becomes better or worse. I am going to use the ear wax drops twice daily.

My Question - how common is this with aging? I am 44 but never had this issue before. Is ear wax building merely an annoyance (temporary loss of hearing) or are there any dangers to not removing it?

The doc said if the drop don't work then I would have to come in for a full removal, which based on the crappy job they did initially I would be going somewhere else.

A side note is that I have HDHP insurance with a $1,350 deductible and have to pay $100-150 each time I visit the doc which I don't mind but I expect some value out of going to the doc. not some trial and error especially for such a vanilla issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 04:41 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Try a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide - you'll hear it fizzing like crazy, keep your head tilted for a minute or two then just straighten up and it will drain out.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:43 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Some people are just prone to ear wax build-up.
You can use a few drops of olive oil but Salt water is the best earwax removal solution that can be used at home. It can soften the wax accumulated inside the ear, making it easy to get rid of. Salt Water for Ear Wax Removal. Mix one teaspoon of salt in one-half cup of warm water until the salt dissolves completely. Soak a cotton ball in the saline solution.

Please do not use any Q-tips or hair pins to remove it.

The only successful method I have found is irrigation at the doctor. However as you stated that may not be possible due to the cost. And yes they should have been able to remove the wax the very first time they tried.

Edit to ask-- how are you determining the amount of hearing loss?

Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
https://www.emedicinehealth.com/earw...have_a_purpose

Old 08-23-2018, 05:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
It's common for ear wax to become drier as a person ages. I never had any issues either until a couple years ago. Now it drives me crazy on a fairly regular basis.

I've used the peroxide drops, and they do work. The problem is that I have always had very sensitive ears (I can't wear ear plugs or earbuds), and regular use of the peroxide severely irritates my ears. Now I use just plain olive oil - doesn't work as well as the peroxide, but it definitely helps, doesn't irritate my ears, and it is quite inexpensive.

Thank goodness I've never gotten one of those inch-long hardened plugs of wax.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Edit to ask-- how are you determining the amount of hearing loss?
Well, I hold my cell phone with the speaker to my nose and the sound should be perceived equally, instead it's biased 70% to the right. I also hold the phone an inch from my ear left/right and can tell the amount I am hearing less in the left ear. Not an exact science but close enough.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:22 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
There are lots of kits that include drops as well as an "irrigator" - here's just one that got good reviews. I got it but haven't gotten around to actually using it yet - under $7!

https://www.amazon.com/Squip-Kyrosol...ax+removal+kit

Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There are lots of kits that include drops as well as an "irrigator" - here's just one that got good reviews. I got it but haven't gotten around to actually using it yet - under $7!

https://www.amazon.com/Squip-Kyrosol...ax+removal+kit
this appears promising, thanks for the link!

Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
I had a horrible blockage years ago. I used ear wax drops and a bulb syringe. I had my husband irrigate. A huge plug of wax came out. Disgusting but also very satisfying.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:15 PM

658 posts, read 722,430 times
Bulb syringe. Save yourself the money. It works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness