Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,232,733 times

Advertisements

I smoke and the usual suggestion is to wait a certain amount of time after a cigarette before taking your blood pressure.
My question is, since I smoke all day, wouldn't taking it without waiting reflect what my pressure will be most of the time, rather than under optimal conditions and need to be 'treated' as the norm?
Also, for a couple of hours midafternoon, it's at it's lowest but I'm more concerned that most of the time it's higher.
Wouldn't I be just fooling myself to depend on that one lower reading as meaning anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 09:17 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,890,988 times
You've got bigger problems than when to take your BP, considering you "smoke all day".

So sorry.....but, to keep your BP down and live longer, you must quit smoking. I know how often you hear this but after watching my dad die of lung cancer from smoking, I still must give a reminder of how dangerous it is. Dying from cancer is not an easy thing to deal with and it

*breaks the heart of your family*.

I can only assume you do not want to quit, since there are many helpful aids now to do so. Gums, Chantix rx, etc. My ex quit cold turkey.

Take your BP in the AM and again in the PM, when it should be a bit higher.
If you're interested, take it after smoking, then when you've waited a period to see the difference.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You've got bigger problems than when to take your BP, considering you "smoke all day".

So sorry.....but, to keep your BP down and live longer, you must quit smoking. I know how often you hear this but after watching my dad die of lung cancer from smoking, I still must give a reminder of how dangerous it is. Dying from cancer is not an easy thing to deal with and it

*breaks the heart of your family*.

I can only assume you do not want to quit, since there are many helpful aids now to do so. Gums, Chantix rx, etc. My ex quit cold turkey.

Take your BP in the AM and again in the PM, when it should be a bit higher.
If you're interested, take it after smoking, then when you've waited a period to see the difference.
You know I've heard it all before and at 76, I certainly understand it.
However, that was not my question.
Since my doctor is switching meds, she has me keeping close watch on it so I have been taking it morning. noon, afternoon and night.
It's higher in the AM (even after no nicotine for 8/10 hours) and lowest in the afternoon with no 'wait' time of more than 1/2 hour and half a day of regular use .
But, LOL, that still isn't my question.

Maybe it helps to now why I'm asking and that is, even though I do get an acceptable reading at one time during the day, my inclination is to report to her that this med is not working

To make this longer and even more boring I've smoked for 60 years and always had perfect pressure until 2 years ago when I listened to her and went on a low dose because it was in the low 140s.
I've since learned that's not at all unusual for someone my age

It's gone steadily up since being on meds and when she raised it this time, it has gone up even more.
I'm damned tempted to go off meds completely (But am chicken

Last edited by old_cold; 02-24-2019 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 10:38 AM

924 posts, read 1,679,966 times
Maybe you could do a few days where, for each of the four readings, you consistently measure the BP at least 20 minutes after the cigarette. Then try a few days of consistently taking the reading immediately after the cigarette. Bring both results to your doctor and let them decide if more medication is needed to control the post-cigarette spikes.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Maybe you could do a few days where, for each of the four readings, you consistently measure the BP at least 20 minutes after the cigarette. Then try a few days of consistently taking the reading immediately after the cigarette. Bring both results to your doctor and let them decide if more medication is needed to control the post-cigarette spikes.
Thanks and good thinking but I've done both and the difference between high and higher is negligible since both are way too high as is the AM with a 8 or 10 hour break.
It's just that confusing acceptable mid afternoon one

Old 02-24-2019, 10:46 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,700,321 times
I get mine read once a year. Always been perfect but I'm also physically fit and a lot younger than you are OP (48)

Old 02-24-2019, 11:42 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
I get mine read once a year. Always been perfect but I'm also physically fit and a lot younger than you are OP (48)
And presume you do not smoke.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:56 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since my doctor is switching meds, she has me keeping close watch on it so I have been taking it morning. noon, afternoon and night.
It's higher in the AM (even after no nicotine for 8/10 hours) and lowest in the afternoon with no 'wait' time of more than 1/2 hour and half a day of regular use .

Maybe it helps to now why I'm asking and that is, even though I do get an acceptable reading at one time during the day, my inclination is to report to her that this med is not working

To make this longer and even more boring I've smoked for 60 years and always had perfect pressure until 2 years ago when I listened to her and went on a low dose because it was in the low 140s.

It's gone steadily up since being on meds and when she raised it this time, it has gone up even more.
Why not take your BP first thing in the morning before your first smoke and then a few times thoughout the day? Do that for a few days and see how it comes out. There's no need to wonder about it, just get some actual data!

Old 02-24-2019, 12:08 PM

37,133 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

Ask your doctor about monitoring your BP continuously for 24 hours.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/ambul...toring-1746062

While you are monitoring, keep a log of when you smoke.

I also endorse quitting smoking.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:06 PM

I must be very bad at explaining things.
I don't doubt nicotine might affect my blood pressure.
My question is, since I assume I will continue to smoke, shouldn't this elevated nicotine aggravated number be what is considered "normal" and the goal to be to lower it despite that ? (and despite an occasional lower reading)

This actually fits many conversations in this forum about people who want a medication to do what they should be doing themselves. I raise my hand. Guilty!! Just realistic.

suzy_q2010 , I've been taking it 5 times a day just not during the middle of the night but even after no nicotine for 8 to 10 hours overnight, it's always highest in the morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness