Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:39 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times

Advertisements

How much importance to place on these snacks that the "super healthy" people at work are always talking about ALL day? Seems to be good evidence for these foods, and combined with exercise seems to be a safe bet. Looks like many of these have some evidence of reducing cancer risk. These people sometimes substitute 2-3 of these items for an entire meal!

1. handful of almonds daily
2. handful of walnuts daily
3. 2 avocados per week
4. blueberries throughout week
5. red raspberries throughout week
6. boiled eggs
7. broccoli
8. spinach leaves
9. garlic and onions
10. tomatoes
11. citrus fruits
12. salmon
13. coffee
14. whole grains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 01:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I eat all of those things regularly.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:24 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I tend view the "superfood" idea as routes to fill nutritional gaps in an otherwise basically healthy diet. Kind of like adding a multivitamin to that same basically healthy diet. Many of the foods on that list are already part of a decent diet, superfood tag or not. There isn't any one marvelous magical food that will neutralize your other bad eating habits any more than there is one fantastical supplement that will prevent all disease. Health is built up or broken down over the long haul, not the instant. Eating an excess of something hoping for some sort of dietary "extra credit" could cause problems too. Of course if you are trying to manage a specific known deficiency or health problem that's different.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
"Super foods" means "super sales" in my opinion. They are good for you, but the "super food" thing is a marketing gimmick. The foods on that list are good for you, but many other foods are as well. Eating a variety of healthy foods every day is all you need to do.

This article says the same. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...ce/superfoods/

Old 03-02-2019, 03:58 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
"Super foods" means "super sales" in my opinion. They are good for you, but the "super food" thing is a marketing gimmick. The foods on that list are good for you, but many other foods are as well. Eating a variety of healthy foods every day is all you need to do.

This article says the same. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...ce/superfoods/

Right you are. Super foods = $uper Food$.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:04 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
There's no such thing as "good" diets or "bad" diets-- only adequate diets and inadequate diets.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:07 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
How much importance to place on these snacks that the "super healthy" people at work are always talking about ALL day? Seems to be good evidence for these foods, and combined with exercise seems to be a safe bet. Looks like many of these have some evidence of reducing cancer risk. These people sometimes substitute 2-3 of these items for an entire meal!

3. 2 avocados per week
6. boiled eggs
7. broccoli
8. spinach leaves
9. garlic and onions
10. tomatoes
11. citrus fruits
12. salmon
13. coffee
14. whole grains
According to The Blue Zones author Dan Buettner, the single healthiest food to add to your diet is nuts. He says people who eat nuts regularly can add 3-4 years to their life expectancy. He studied the longest lived societies in depth, so I think he knows what he's talking about.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
The "real" superfoods are things that most would not eat on a regular basis. They really are not superfoods, that is a snappy and trendy term.

But things like offal, bone-marrow, eating connective tissues.......those foods have very high levels of nutrients that are easily utilized by the human body.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:13 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,456,008 times
If you are what you eat - I am definitely nuts! Handful of mixed nuts are my favorite at work snack along with popcorn and fruit. I tend to eat lots of fruit / citrus / berries.

I do not consume coffee and I only have eggs scrambled, all the other items on the list I eat regularly to various degrees. Sometimes I will eat 3-4 avocados in a day. I guess my substitute for coffee is dark chocolate and teas of various sorts.

I think guidoLaMotto makes an apt point on adequate versus inadequate to describe diets. One thing I've noticed over the years is - while I try to be as healthy in my nutritional habits as possible, some of my tastes have changed and I think it is related to my body telling me what I need.

An example, I never liked mushrooms or sardines as a child and in my youth. I was totally indifferent to them until after adulthood. Lately I find myself eating them more frequency or in spurts. Sometimes I think if we have a nutritional deficiency our bodies will get a craving for the appropriate contents from the apt food of choice.

And yes, I agree that the 'super food' label is mostly a marketing ploy.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

3. 2 avocados per week
6. boiled eggs
7. broccoli
8. spinach leaves
9. garlic and onions
10. tomatoes
11. citrus fruits
12. salmon
13. coffee
14. whole grains

Looks similar to the cardiac diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness