Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 04:02 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times

Advertisements

Recently I cut back on Protien and am eating more complex carbohydrates. Whole Wheat, fruit, nuts etc. I still eat Protein but likely went from say 45 gs a day to 25gs. And most of my protein is from plant based sources such as beans.

And I am definitely having horrible insomnia. I mean I wake up every 45 minutes and it takes about 1 hour to get back to sleep.

Anyone know why?

I am going to assume that protein might have tryptophan or other amino acids that allow for sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 04:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Recently I cut back on Protien and am eating more complex carbohydrates. Whole Wheat, fruit, nuts etc. I still eat Protein but likely went from say 45 gs a day to 25gs. And most of my protein is from plant based sources such as beans.

And I am definitely having horrible insomnia. I mean I wake up every 45 minutes and it takes about 1 hour to get back to sleep.

Anyone know why?

I am going to assume that protein might have tryptophan or other amino acids that allow for sleep.
A lot of people have problems digesting beans and it can cause discomfort. This is particularly the case with something like soy-based protein. This sounds like it might not be the best diet for you.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A lot of people have problems digesting beans and it can cause discomfort. This is particularly the case with something like soy-based protein. This sounds like it might not be the best diet for you.
No I don't think that is it. I don't feel like I have any stomach issues (discomfort) it just feels like my body has forgotten how to sleep. Could it be due to energy?

In my travels looking this up I found something that I didn't know... low carb inhibits the conversion of T4 to T3 so it inhibits your thyroid. That could lead to fatigue.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Oh, the other night on the radio, Pharmacist Ben Fuchs and George Noory were discussing sleep and George said something about eating a little carb before sleep, and this has been mentioned for years....and Ben said "NO" eat a little protein if one wants to eat anything before sleep. He went on to explain why but I didn't listen.

Info is forever changing, forever.

I had a couple little pieces of chicken about 7:30 last night, my head hits the pillow at 10:30 after my routine of sleep stuff.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:19 PM

I might have figured it out. Apparently carbs help with thyroid. Particularly conversion of T4 into T3 and reduction of reverse T3.

I never knew this before. I am a bit horrified. I have been on a lower carb diet since 2000. Meaning probably 50 to 70 gs carbs per day. I have also suffered from low T3, higher reverse T3 and low thyroid type symptoms. Such as low heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature.

On the other hand, I went through a horrible period from about 1998 to 2002 where I had HORRIFIC anxiety. But then it seemed to just up and go away. For years. I assumed I just made peace with myself. At that time I had horrible anxiety attacks. I am now seriously wondering if my 2002 isn change to lower carbs isn't the reason for it.

My carb intake I think has now gone to about 80 to 120 gs per day.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 AM

6 posts, read 3,761 times
Insomnia is a serious sleep disorder that is characterized by difficulty to fall asleep/stay asleep. Indigestion,bowel syndrome, upset stomach are very common during this disorder.

You must visit your doctor if you are suffering from these problems.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 AM

1,199 posts, read 660,389 times
protein is only 4 calories per gram of protein, so if you are only getting 25 grams protein per day (which is absurdly little) likely you are not eating nearly enough food in general unless you are eating a TON of carbs and fat. Hunger can keep you up at night. Hunger isn't always the stomach growling kind. It can be insidious.

I was vegan for a number of years, and also anorexic for some of them, and even in my worst days of restricting my protein intake was in the 30s as a vegan, except my short periods of raw vegan when my protein dropped to the low twenties (and I didn't last long eating that way). When eating healthy and enough to fuel my body it was closer to 50 grams per day (which is still somewhat low). I ate about a cup of beans each day back then, five or six servings of grains, seven or eight servings of fruits and veggies, about a serving or two of nuts/seeds.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I might have figured it out. Apparently carbs help with thyroid. Particularly conversion of T4 into T3 and reduction of reverse T3.

I never knew this before. I am a bit horrified. I have been on a lower carb diet since 2000. Meaning probably 50 to 70 gs carbs per day. I have also suffered from low T3, higher reverse T3 and low thyroid type symptoms. Such as low heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature.

On the other hand, I went through a horrible period from about 1998 to 2002 where I had HORRIFIC anxiety. But then it seemed to just up and go away. For years. I assumed I just made peace with myself. At that time I had horrible anxiety attacks. I am now seriously wondering if my 2002 isn change to lower carbs isn't the reason for it.

My carb intake I think has now gone to about 80 to 120 gs per day.
You're blaming everything on carbs.

Some things have nothing to do with your diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness