Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 678,252 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you were possible to have pre menopause at such an early age. I have irregular periods and have been having them since my late 20's. My hormones have seem to be out of control-or at least my rage is.

Every little thing irritates me, I just want to be along in peace and quiet and have my own space.

I did quit smoking 8 days ago (not a heavy smoker) and I though that it was because of that, but I have had this sort of feeling of rage before.

I am not currently on birth control or take any medications. I was on birth control for a short period of 3 months because of ovarian cysts, but that problem has been resolved. I was worried about taking birth control because of the synthetic ramifications it can have on the body.

Does anyone have any experience with irregular periods and pre-menopause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 02:26 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
It's called peri-menopause (not pre) - not saying that is your issue.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:31 PM

1,058 posts, read 678,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's called peri-menopause (not pre) - not saying that is your issue.
Thanks for responding.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:37 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,627,400 times
OP, I had an absolutely awful time with peri-menopause in my late 30s-early 40s. I thought it was worse than menopause. Honestly!

If you have money, you might start with your gyn and get your hormone levels evaluated and checked for other conditions. If you have a clean bill of health, then you might consider getting with a good naturopath (check recommendations! You need a good one, not a woo-woo crazy person) about potential supplements that could help in your particular situation.

After that, you might look carefully at your diet. You may be one of the women sensitive to soy products and dropping them now will make you feel tons better in about a week. And soy is in everything, it seems like.

If you don't have money, then you might do some research about how to keep yourself on an even keel physically, mentally, and emotionally. If you are like many, a lot of what you eat may be making your problems worse.

Good luck! And don't take "It's all in your head" from a doctor as an answer. Get another doctor pronto!

Old 07-30-2017, 02:41 PM

130,670 posts, read 12,177,441 times
It might also be poly cystic ovarian syndrome, also know as pcos. This will cause irregular periods & ovarian cysts. Also unwanted hair growth ( on face, breasts etc) Ask to get tested.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:42 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
34 would be early for peri-menopause especially with irregular periods going back into your 20s. It's not that it's impossible, just not all that likely. More likely would be polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

You definitely need to see a gyn and get this figured out.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:46 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,834,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Hi all,

I was just wondering if you were possible to have pre menopause at such an early age. I have irregular periods and have been having them since my late 20's. My hormones have seem to be out of control-or at least my rage is.

Every little thing irritates me, I just want to be along in peace and quiet and have my own space.

I did quit smoking 8 days ago (not a heavy smoker) and I though that it was because of that, but I have had this sort of feeling of rage before.

I am not currently on birth control or take any medications. I was on birth control for a short period of 3 months because of ovarian cysts, but that problem has been resolved. I was worried about taking birth control because of the synthetic ramifications it can have on the body.

The bolded part is nonsense. Synthetic ramifications? No such thing. Oral contraceptives are fine to take. In fact they can resolve a lot of problems. A lot of different things can be happening to you that is causing your symptoms. Quitting smoking is a huge one. If you are in peri menopause the pills will help you with your symptoms. Peri menopause can last a very long time, and then menopause itself can last a long time.
See your OBGYN and talk to them about your symptoms. Not one on this board will be able to do much for you since menopause and peri menopause effects us all in different ways.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,907,183 times
Perimenopause symptoms can begin up to 10 years before the actual onset of menopause.

My periods were regular (29 days) from age 10 to age 44 then all of a sudden they started to come twice a month, sometimes for 2 weeks at time. A few months involved an entire month-long period! This lasted for a year; then they came every few months and now it's been 11 months since the last one.

With that being said, it's a good idea to get the irregular periods evaluated by a health professional.

Perimenopause is one cause of irregular menses but there are many other causes such as ovarian cysts, imbalances of estrogen/progesterone ratio, and simply stress can do it.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,653,528 times
Sounds like you should visit your OB/GYN and discuss your concerns with them. You've had issues for well over a decade. There's a number of things that can be going on. May not be perimenopause at all.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:08 PM

14,372 posts, read 11,769,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Hi all,

I had irregular periods my entire life (erratic cycle length and would randomly skip one or two months) until my first child was born when I was 30. Thereafter, my cycles became extremely regular. The irregularity was definitely not caused by peri-menopause in my case, as I went on to have two more children and am still having very regular cycles at age 48.

Late 20s is very early for peri-menopause, and if that's what it is, 5+ years is a long time to be having no other symptoms than irregular periods and emotional issues. No hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain?

You may very well have some hormonal issue (I'm convinced that I did!), but I'm skeptical that impending menopause is the reason. The fact that you have or had ovarian cysts also points to something else going on. Were you ever tested for PCOS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness