Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:21 AM

761 posts, read 446,358 times

Advertisements

I don't watch TV I listen to the radio and I often hear a radio host recommending monoclonal antibodies. He states that if you contract COVID, you should see your doctor and tell him or her you want monoclonal antibodies, and time is of the essence. Then he gives anecdotes: "I don't know of anyone yet who hasn't recovered and done very well when this treatment is given within a couple of days." Never once has he mentioned that there can be side effects.

After hearing about it forever, I finally decided to do a search to see if there are any side effects and there are many.

https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/what-are...nal-antibodies

Scroll down to where it says, "CAN MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY TREATMENT MAKE ME SICK?"

Note: It may be worth the risk for those who are obese or otherwise immunocompromised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 12:09 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I don't watch TV I listen to the radio and I often hear a radio host recommending monoclonal antibodies. He states that if you contract COVID, you should see your doctor and tell him or her you want monoclonal antibodies, and time is of the essence. Then he gives anecdotes: "I don't know of anyone yet who hasn't recovered and done very well when this treatment is given within a couple of days." Never once has he mentioned that there can be side effects.

After hearing about it forever, I finally decided to do a search to see if there are any side effects and there are many.

https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/what-are...nal-antibodies

Scroll down to where it says, "CAN MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY TREATMENT MAKE ME SICK?"

Note: It may be worth the risk for those who are obese or otherwise immunocompromised.
Side effects that are pretty much the same as typical symptoms of COVID infections. Yet, a useful treatment measure in shortening duration and severity. I'd opt for the MAs as a course of treatment.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:39 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Any drug might make any person have side effects

Old 03-24-2022, 01:04 AM

7,252 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Evaluating the risk/benefit ratio is always the key....We accept the high rate of serious adverse reactions to chemo- agents when treating deady cancers, but wouldn't accept thpse rates for a drug to treat the common cold.

"Serum sickness" was always a risk in the old days when sera where commonly used to treat infections before the days of antibiotics..In a sense, the "cytokine crisis" that seems to be the big problem in the pts that don't do well with CoViD is basically a serum sickness itself-- uncntrolled activation of the immune system.

For monoclonal Abs (a "purified form" of serum trreatment, so to speak) the risk of severe adverse effects is somewhere between 1 in a million to 1 in 400-- a whole lot better than case death rate for CoviD of ~1 in 100...The biggest problem with using it is the time element--

It has to be given early enough to be effective. Give it too late and you may be risking side effectts with no chance for benefit....The other point to evaluate is the demographics-- The under 55 age group has a death rate on the order of 1 in 100,000 to 1 in a million-- risk to benefit ratio about even. No sense to giving it-- save one, kill one. ( and you don't know who ahead of time).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23438102/

Old 03-24-2022, 09:08 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Or, as I told my patients any person might react to any medication (or substance) in any way at any time and you have to weigh risk vs benefit (as guido said above)

Old 03-24-2022, 10:38 AM

On February 20th, 2020 I contracted the virus and experienced multiple strange symptoms but wasn't worried enough to call the doctor. At that time I was 79 and I was worried it might be worse the next day. To my surprise, I woke up feeling well, although as time went on I realized I still had an occasional cough. Within a couple of days the cough was gone.

What I'm getting at is this: Advanced age is not always a risk factor if a person maintains a healthy lifestyle and is in good health. Everyone is different. Someone else at age 79 might have been under-the-weather for two or three days. So the course of action is not always clear, especially when the risk factors for this treatment are not fully understood yet. And I believe many doctors will not take the time to tell their patients the whole story about risk, mainly that mAb was authorized for emergency use by the F.D.A. And...."it is possible that we do not know all the risks yet."

Old 03-24-2022, 12:58 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
On February 20th, 2020 I contracted the virus and experienced multiple strange symptoms but wasn't worried enough to call the doctor. At that time I was 79 and I was worried it might be worse the next day. To my surprise, I woke up feeling well, although as time went on I realized I still had an occasional cough. Within a couple of days the cough was gone.

What I'm getting at is this: Advanced age is not always a risk factor if a person maintains a healthy lifestyle and is in good health. Everyone is different. Someone else at age 79 might have been under-the-weather for two or three days. So the course of action is not always clear, especially when the risk factors for this treatment are not fully understood yet. And I believe many doctors will not take the time to tell their patients the whole story about risk, mainly that mAb was authorized for emergency use by the F.D.A. And...."it is possible that we do not know all the risks yet."
Advanced age is always a risk factor. It is not a guarantee.

People with healthy lifestyles who are in good health have had severe disease. Some have died. To believe your own perceived good health will always protect you is magical thinking.

The risk factors for severe covid-19 are pretty clear at this point. Also, this is not the first use of antibodies against an infectious disease.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...as%20well%20as

Old 03-24-2022, 01:57 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
Quote:

n = 1 is just that.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Advanced age is always a risk factor. It is not a guarantee.
Of course, from the moment one is born, being alive is a risk.

Quote:
People with healthy lifestyles who are in good health have had severe disease. Some have died. To believe your own perceived good health will always protect you is magical thinking.
It has never been officially documented that someone in ''good health" died from COVID-19. That idea comes from people making casual observations that someone who appeared to be in good health died from COVID. For example, stories could start because of observations made by ER nurses. Many ER nurses saw middle aged men who looked perfectly healthy die of COVID. But those nurses don't get to do any follow-up to find out if there may have been underlying health issues.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 03-27-2022 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-27-2022, 02:53 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
It has never been officially documented that someone in ''good health" died from COVID-19. That idea comes from people making casual observations that someone who appeared to be in good health died from COVID. For example, stories could start because of observations made by ER nurses. Many ER nurses saw middle aged men who looked perfectly healthy die of COVID. But those nurses don't get to do any follow-up to find out if there may have been underlying health issues.
This idea is totally ridiculous. Healthy people, including children, have died from COVID-19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness