Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times

Advertisements

Yes. I started researching all of these tests (mammogram, colonoscopy), and found that there are good reasons not to have them (won't go into details, if interested, do your own research - I don't subscribe to "groupthink" and mass marketing around these tests).

I regret that I ever had the above tests, ever (had around 3 or 4 mammograms and the same with colonoscopy - but I didn't know then what I learned, so I can't blame myself too much for my ignorance on the subject). I trusted people who were also ignorant.

Live and learn.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Yes. No more mammograms for me (64 y/o).

I have to keep up with colonoscopies though. Polyps every time. Those come with EKGs too.

DH had a stomach polyp so will need to monitor upper GI tract.

I do believe in the occasional blood test, and a derm doc checking you out for potential skin cancers.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
2 mammograms in early 50's and none since and I'm 81.
No colonoscopies to opt out of.
Pap smears ended in 80's after hysterectomy.

So I'm opted out. No tests here.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:29 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
To clarify, it is usually recommended to still have pap smears if you had a partial hysterectomy (only the uterus removed).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2019, 02:26 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gosh no. Just had my mammogram.
Welp, I thought maybe I'd see if I could skip the mammogram this year, I've had them faithfully every year since I waa age 40, I think it was. It's been scheduled-the place called me about 4 months ago to schedule it as they're very busy and it's a long wait (too many people moving into this area). I just read in the same USPTHF guidelines that mammograms for women age 70-74 (with no issues) are recommended biennially (every two years), so I could have skipped it this year. I just didn't feel like having the left side with the pacemaker being stretched out on the table there-it's not near the breast but the area is still a bit tender and I'd think stretching the area might make me see stars. Just an excuse maybe, but I see Medicare still pays for annual mammograms for ladies my age.

I had thoughts of canceling the mammogram appointment, but running it by my PCP before I did that. But when I mentioned that to her she reacted as though I'd suggested burning down the building "Absolutely NOT", she said, as the incidence of breast cancer is high in women in their late 60's, early 70,' or so she said. So I guess I will do it. It's still two months away so maybe the pacer site won't be even tender then.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
2 mammograms in early 50's and none since and I'm 81.
No colonoscopies to opt out of.
Pap smears ended in 80's after hysterectomy.

So I'm opted out. No tests here.
At age 81 you've aged out of those screenings in any case.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes. I started researching all of these tests (mammogram, colonoscopy), and found that there are good reasons not to have them (won't go into details, if interested, do your own research - I don't subscribe to "groupthink" and mass marketing around these tests).

I regret that I ever had the above tests, ever (had around 3 or 4 mammograms and the same with colonoscopy - but I didn't know then what I learned, so I can't blame myself too much for my ignorance on the subject). I trusted people who were also ignorant.

Live and learn.
Do you think you were harmed by the screening tests you had?

Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
I don't have a or go to a doctor so they won't be nagging me about screening tests, or vaccinations. My last pap test was in 1983 before I became pregnant with my last child. My last doctor. Have no idea what my BP or cholesterol level is, let alone any of those other screenings we are supposed to get for routine FREE preventive care under Medicare.

I am turning 71 this year.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Has anyone here decided to stop screening tests if symptom-free? Especially posters "of a certain age"?
Screening tests are totally ridiculous.

I've never done them and never will do them. Also, I never go to doctors.

Live long, live healthy and prosper.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:35 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
I'm middle of the road on this. Mom died of breast cancer recurrence (OK, she was 85); sister had a double mastectomy after they found a teensy malignancy when she was 63. She tested negative for 30+ genetic markers but I get extra screening for BC now. Have a history of polyps and will continue colonoscopies as long as they're covered- colon cancer is an ugly way to die. I just got my first bone scan because my low BMI puts me at risk for osteopenia (and I do have a little in my hips).

Other than that- I know my BP is low end of normal- it's tested at the blood bank. I monitor cholesterol components and a1C because total cholesterol and blood glucose are high and I believe in cheap prevention. I'm 66 and have never had a stress test or an EKG but last month I bicycled 71 miles over 3 days. I think my heart is OK.

My testing is guided by what Medicare will cover, whether I think there's a risk and what, if anything, I'd do about an adverse result.

Sadly, I do need to see a doctor annually to keep supplied with the magic hormone cream that allows me to enjoy sex without excruciating pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness