Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times

Advertisements

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE...14-days-609647

Quote:
A new treatment developed by Tel Aviv University could induce the destruction of pancreatic cancer cells, eradicating the number of cancerous cells by up to 90% after two weeks of daily injections of a small molecule known as PJ34.

Long way to go, but sure hope it works

Thank you Israel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
No kidding i know some people that died from pancreas cancer.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:33 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
I just went to a funeral today for a cousin who lived only three months after diagnosis. It was too advanced for current treatments. Nasty disease.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:11 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
For a country of its size, Israel punches way above its weight class in terms of research, innovation and entrepreneurship, and the work they do on those fronts often shows promise.

I hope that's the case here as well.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
No kidding i know some people that died from pancreas cancer.
As far as I know, everyone diagnosed with pancreatic cancer dies of it. Most within months of being diagnosed.

This is HUGE if it pans out.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I just went to a funeral today for a cousin who lived only three months after diagnosis. It was too advanced for current treatments. Nasty disease.
We have had friends who have lived no more than 3 months, one only lived a couple of weeks. it is a sad way to go, but maybe easier than living for months or years and going through all the pain and expense just to lose the battle anyway. Let's hope this is the start of a true cure for the truly bad cancer. Of course all cancers are bad but some worse than others.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:20 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
This sounds promising, but shrinking or disappearing the tumors is just the first step. You also have to make sure they don’t grow back two months later.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have had friends who have lived no more than 3 months, one only lived a couple of weeks. it is a sad way to go, but maybe easier than living for months or years and going through all the pain and expense just to lose the battle anyway. Let's hope this is the start of a true cure for the truly bad cancer. Of course all cancers are bad but some worse than others.
Amen. I had no idea that pancreatic cancer was as prevalent as it seems to be. Most of the people I had heard had it died within a few months, with their cancer having been diagnosed at an advanced stage. I wondered though, if perhaps the poor prognosis generally with this cancer might just have meant a longer period of pain and suffering had they had been diagnosed earlier.

Pancreatic cancer hit very close to home recently when my mother was diagnosed with it in early September 2019. At her age ( 93), and at the stage the cancer was in, there was no option for treatment, only to relieve pain and other discomfort, and to try for the best quality of life possible under the circumstances. Mom died less than a month after her diagnosis, and we have to be grateful she didn't suffer longer before the inevitable.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Amen. I had no idea that pancreatic cancer was as prevalent as it seems to be. Most of the people I had heard had it died within a few months, with their cancer having been diagnosed at an advanced stage. I wondered though, if perhaps the poor prognosis generally with this cancer might just have meant a longer period of pain and suffering had they had been diagnosed earlier.

Pancreatic cancer hit very close to home recently when my mother was diagnosed with it in early September 2019. At her age ( 93), and at the stage the cancer was in, there was no option for treatment, only to relieve pain and other discomfort, and to try for the best quality of life possible under the circumstances. Mom died less than a month after her diagnosis, and we have to be grateful she didn't suffer longer before the inevitable.
The main reason why pancreatic cancer is so deadly is that it is just about never discovered until it is in a very advanced stage.

I have heard of it being discovered inadvertently during abdominal surgery performed for unrelated reasons. But even then, by the time a mass is noticeable, it is usually too late.

Fun fact - In the old days, before laparoscopic surgery arrived on the scene, whenever surgeons were inside the abdominal cavity, they'd palpate all the organs they could reach. And yes, they would catch growths that way, before the patient noticed any symptoms.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
The worst thing about pancreatic cancer is that it doesn't have to be "advanced," to be advanced. My father-in-law's pancreatic cancer was discovered when it was small and operable. He had the Whipple procedure. It seemed to be a complete success, but six months later the cancer came back and ravaged him. He died 17 months after diagnosis.

This is typical of pancreatic cancer. It's currently almost impossible to eradicate even when found early. I hope this or another treatment proves to be effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness