Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 04:27 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The fact that there are even hospital emergency rooms that staff nothing by doctors who don't take any insurance is complete BS and should not be allowed. Luckily, my sister-in-law is an insurance lawyer (does mostly health insurance) and took care of it for me. But for those people who don't have that resource, they are going to be hit with a bill that could be well into the thousands of dollars.
And it does not have to be an ER visit to get "surprise" billed.

My wife needed rotator cuff surgery. The hospital, the anesthesiologist, and the surgeon were all in-network. A month later we get a bill from a "surgical assistant" for $1000. Supposedly the surgeon decided he needed help, unbeknownst to us before, during, or after the surgery.

Long story short, it turned out that no "surgical assistants" were in-network with any insurance plans. Much like ER doctors. My suspicion is that the SA was the surgeon's wife. Our insurance, and the State's insurance commission, were no help.

Just an outright scam to get more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 04:39 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

My wife needed rotator cuff surgery. The hospital, the anesthesiologist, and the surgeon were all in-network. A month later we get a bill from a "surgical assistant" for $1000. Supposedly the surgeon decided he needed help, unbeknownst to us before, during, or after the surgery.

Long story short, it turned out that no "surgical assistants" were in-network with any insurance plans. Much like ER doctors. My suspicion is that the SA was the surgeon's wife. Our insurance, and the State's insurance commission, were no help.

Or the significant other

Old 02-20-2020, 05:19 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:

Most surgeons use a First Assist in the OR. It's not because they need help and it's not a scam. It's common practice and allows surgeons to focus on the intricacies of the case, be more efficient and it ultimately improves patient care. They perform functions such as retraction, suction, wound closure etc. It's not an entry level position, and it's not a Surgical Technologist. Surgical First Assistants are almost always certified and some have nursing backgrounds, so unless your surgeon's wife had those qualifications, it wasn't her. My spine surgeon used an NP as his First Assistant and she sent me a bill months afterwards as well and like you, I wasn't particularly happy about it, but I understand what they do and why they're used.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 02-20-2020 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 05:32 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
I went to the Netherlands.Got a bladder infection and didn't have travel insurance.
ER 2 days IC, 3 days hospital. Was 8000 Euro. About 9000 Dollars. Here it would be like 10 times.
And the food was better....

The level of care is the same as in the US. Believe me, I spend 9 weeks in a hospital here after a heart attack.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:45 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:

Now, this ^^^ is exactly what I was concerned about 2-1/2 weeks ago when I was about to have a total knee replacement.

I specifically checked with my insurance company beforehand because while I knew that my surgeon and the hospital were in-network (and my in-network out-of-pocket maximum for the year is $1,500), I had no idea who the surgeon would have working with him. With my insurance at least, everything in the OR is covered as in-network BECAUSE the patient has no control over it. What a sane -- and unexpected -- policy!!

It's interesting to see the bills. Say one item is billed at $30,000, but the insurance-company-negotiated rate is $12,000, so that's what they pay (and the hospital accepts it as payment in full). And of course that's only 1 item of many that are being billed. I'm assuming that people without insurance are billed the full rate, which of course most people would not be able to pay ...

What an INSANE system we have. Totally freakin' insane.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:45 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Thats an "opinion piece" from a notoriously liberal rag. Not news.
An "opinion piece" written by a well respected journalist who happens to have a background as an ED Physician

An "opinion piece" bolstered by factual content annotated throughout the article...

Care to point out the "factual errors" in this "not news" article???

I suppose if it came from Fox News we could take it as gospel truth

Old 02-20-2020, 05:48 PM

698 posts, read 234,453 times
Quote:

Maybe it was a Physican Assistant?

Old 02-20-2020, 05:51 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Ironically, I was listening to the Clark Howard podcast on my way home today. A woman called in about a recent experience with a mammogram. After a certain age, mammograms are covered 100% by insurance. I get one every year, and I pay nothing out of pocket. This women actually verified that the doctor referring her was in-network and the place performing the mammogram were in network. All assured her they were. Well, guess what? The radiologist they sent it to read was a contractor and didn't take insurance. So guess who needs to pay for it?

There's a reason absolutely no country models any part of their healthcare system after the US.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
It make more sense for you to post your story instead of a newspaper opinion piece.
In emergencies there is no time to negotiate anything, when it comes to healthcare just get it, argue later.

As a foreign import I know American healthcare is second to none, in the UK emergency room visits often entail a 12 hour wait, many people give up, go home and die.
Its a horror story out there.

https://www.ft.com/content/88ebc782-...9-0bcf87a328f2

Too many people on the ball and they're getting older by the second. Its impossible to treat all of them. Logistically, not enough doctors, not enough $$$$'s not enough space. In America you get treated royally if you have Cadillac insurance that costs roughly $3000/mo. Those with small policies, high deductibles, high co-pays, minimum coverage get treatment roughly equal to UK's. It's the natural order of things as medicine slowly declines from not having kept up with the aging demographic.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:36 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
The system is pretty efficient outside the U.S. in my experience. I'm in Spain for the winter and went to the hospital a few times to get arthritis treatments. People in the waiting room took a number and were seen in about 15 min. No one was doing any paperwork or billing. My MRI was $231 since I was private pay. I received my own scans and x Ray's the same day. I was informed ahead the exact cost of everything.

The ER in Ecuador where we retired took care of me immediately for my hip dislocation and care was attentive and respectful. Best of all, no billing, no extra charges...all included in our $80 a month national plan.

It is sad the disgraceful RIP offs going on in the States. Like $30,000 for a kidney stone. In Spain, it's $1,400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness