Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 07:06 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times

Advertisements

If you get sick with covid I mean. I’m wondering because I probably won’t and I thought I was alone in this but I’ve talked to at least two people who would not and I was surprised because they’re not the usual “type.” All of us in our sixties and one very healthy with no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,087,287 times
You know, you really cant say what you will do until something needs to be done.

The virus effects people wildly differently. Some not knowing they had it, while others become seriously ill and die.

Ive see obviously shaken doctors describing how a mildly ill patient one minute, is dead a few hours later. Hospital administrators claiming they have never seen anything like this, and looking visibly scared.

Most of us, virus or not - if we wake up having trouble breathing - are going to seek help. I cant imagine someone knowing they are like a fish out of water, and just saying, "well - to heck with this life. Ima gonna roll over and let myself die." I cant imagine anyone's family being down with that idea, even if the person who cant breath is. Someone will call in an emergency in most cases.

Honestly, I don't think most of us are strong enough to do that.

As far as being tested - I can see some people having very good reasons not to want to be tested to see if they are randomly positive for the virus.

If they are positive, they can self-isolate to protect others. If they are not positive, they aren't any wiser than before they were tested.

I think I would test for antibodies when that test is available to me. If I have the antibodies, then I will know I was exposed to the virus.

People who cannot go to work - IN THEORY - will be able to return to work. I emphasize in theory because we don't know for sure that having antibodies will mean the virus cant effect you again. Especially since the data we are now getting says there are at least 30 strains of this 'new' virus out there.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:36 AM

23,354 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
If you get sick with covid I mean. I’m wondering because I probably won’t and I thought I was alone in this but I’ve talked to at least two people who would not and I was surprised because they’re not the usual “type.” All of us in our sixties and one very healthy with no issues.
Strange question. I have trouble imagining someone deciding to sit there losing consciousness from respiratory failure/oxygen deprivation debating whether the problem is Covid-19 (which means you refuse to call) or not Covid-19 (which means you will call). Not sure about you, but the three times I've ended up with pneumonia, almost passing out from respiratory distress and sick as a dog I wasn't debating much of anything...other than getting air and some relief. Silly me.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-23-2020 at 01:56 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 08:23 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,187,211 times
Quote:
I've had three people develop asthma late in life and said they would rather be dead than alive with it. They all died not really wanting medical help. For some, living is being physically well or not living at all.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:34 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Strange question. I have trouble imagining someone deciding to sit there losing consciousness from respiratory failure/oxygen deprivation debating whether the problem is Covid-19 (which means you refuse to call) or not Covid-19 (which means you will call). Not sure about you, but the three times I've ended up with pneumonia, almost passing out from respiratory distress and sick as a dog I wasn't debating much of anything...other than getting air and some relief. Silly me.
I know what you and ComeCloser are saying and I’ve had these thoughts as well but I do have some precedent. Years ago when I was in my late twenties I came down with a really nasty asthma attack and went to the doc and she gave me a steroid shot but I couldn’t tell that it helped me much. I went home and went to bed and my fever shot up and I had my then husband pile every blanket in the house on me as I could not stop shivering...teeth breaking shivers that I recently learned are called rigors. I was struggling to breathe and for at least two hours it was so bad that I was tempted to have him take me to the hospital but one thing stopped me...it was 15 degrees below zero that night and I couldn’t imagine going out into that cold night when I already felt like I would freeze to death. That actually won out over my need to breathe.

If it had gotten even one tiny speck worse I imagine that I would have died that night and I’ve always wondered if that steroid shot didn’t save my life. I figure I had the flu and I’m guessing I would’ve gone on a ventilator if I’d gone to the hospital.

I read a couple of weeks ago that in NYC, they are finding about 250 bodies a day over the number they usually find, in their homes and they weren’t testing them at that time, but the numerical difference is enough to alert them that at least some of them are covid and I wonder why they didn’t seek medical attention. Afraid of hospitals? No health insurance? They figure they’ve hit the end of the road and why fight? We’ll never know.

I know this is a sick and uncomfortable subject for most but these are sick and uncomfortable times. I’m in rural Missouri and being as careful as can be, so this is not a death wish, but the lack of health insurance is a big part of my decision.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:31 AM

14,965 posts, read 12,181,972 times
Quote:
I had thoughts that in the event I came down with any type of respiratory thing I'd just stay home and ride it out. I guess I'd do as I usually do with those things, contact my doctor if it was headed for my lungs, I had a significant fever and/or I was getting sicker. It's not a matter of health insurance, I'm on Medicare with an excellent secondary insurance, it's just not wanting to burden the healthcare system with an illness that will most likely be self-limited.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:34 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,490,048 times
There is not much they can do unless you can't breathe and need a ventilator. Most will get over it on their own. There are drugs but they are all experimental. In fact, "they" tell you that if you suspect you have it, you can call in, answer some questions and more than likely will be told to stay home and isolate. You can worry about insurance or paying for it if later. It should not be a concern.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:52 AM

23,354 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
I read a couple of weeks ago that in NYC, they are finding about 250 bodies a day over the number they usually find, in their homes and they weren’t testing them at that time, but the numerical difference is enough to alert them that at least some of them are covid and I wonder why they didn’t seek medical attention. Afraid of hospitals? No health insurance? They figure they’ve hit the end of the road and why fight? We’ll never know.

I know this is a sick and uncomfortable subject for most but these are sick and uncomfortable times. I’m in rural Missouri and being as careful as can be, so this is not a death wish, but the lack of health insurance is a big part of my decision.
Its too late to ask these people why they didn't seek help. I don't mean calling or going to a doctor, I mean hospitalization. Its a viral infection. A doctor can't really do much if anything to treat a milder form. Hospitalization provides support while the patient fights to overcome the virus. The reason someone chose not to seek medical care may have nothing to do with health. They may have been living under some authority's radar (criminals, illegal status, those in legal trouble or hiding from debt or obligations, unaware, uneducated, or not too capable in general). Maybe they were hit too fast, too disoriented before they realized they needed help, overly self-reliant and convinced they could deal with it themselves, attempting quack or alternative treatments which failed, etc).

As for not having health insurance you can call a nursing hotline or doctor for a phone evaluation and advice. That doesn't cost you anything. They can't really treat the viral infection itself. If you do get critically ill and need hospital support, aren't there assistance programs set up to help cover costs of Covid-19 care? Its more than a personal finance problem, its a public health problem, so there is good incentive.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-23-2020 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 11:55 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,070,482 times
Quote:
I'll go and get the Trump pills or anything else they're trying.
Some people despise HOPE.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:04 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,664,077 times
OP: This is a great discussion and one that is needed. I watched a TikTok vid yesterday about a hospice nurse who informed everyone (via Advance Health Care Directive on fridge, FB posts, etc. that if she should become ill, she does not want to be on a ventilator. I hadn't thought about this specific thing and sent the vid to my daughter and I might post something on FB.

I know health professionals are trained to revive you (if you call 911) EVEN IF YOU HAVE A DNR - it's what they do . . .

I can't think of anything that could be done in a hospital (as hospitals are run now) that would be helpful.

I am with you.

One thing I do worry about is people living alone with pets (like me). I fear I would not be able to take care of my pet - and might traumatize the pet with the illness/death. I guess I would use my phone to call people to come get my pet? Not sure about that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness