Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 04:03 PM

288 posts, read 415,026 times

Advertisements

We are in NC. One of us is high risk health-wise.

We are having some pretty bad issues with our AC that we want to get fixed before they become worse.
We will be in another room with the door closed or out of the apartment completely when they come and they promised to wear masks and gloves at all times.

Would this be considered high risk? Are there any other precautions that we should take? We will obviously clean thoroughly after they leave.

Throughout this whole pandemic we have been far to the paranoid side due to our health issues, so I’m just trying to figure out what is reasonable.

Appreciate any feedback. I know it’s slightly subjective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 04:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
OP: I have not been paranoid thru it all, and I live in So. Calif...I live in apt. and have delivery people come in a lot, from stores and friends, bring my groceries to kitchen, had 3 repair men a couple weeks ago doing electrical work, they wore no masks.. I sat in living room while they worked in kitchen.

I have good health, so that could be a lot of why I feel as I do. No mask or gloves etc. for my use.

Many others are very paranoid and some way more lax....good luck...I don't hug or kiss anyone,do you?

On another note, hopefully you are keeping your immune system strong.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-24-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 07:20 PM

288 posts, read 415,026 times
Thank you. I guess I’m just concerned with them
Working on our ac unit and breathing direction into our intake which is pushing that air out into all of our rooms, but I guess if they are wearing masks that helps a lot.

It’s so hard to not be paranoid. That’s what has been doing the most harm to me, the anxiety.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 6,461,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post

We are having some pretty bad issues with our AC that we want to get fixed before they become worse.
We will be in another room with the door closed or out of the apartment completely when they come and they promised to wear masks and gloves at all times.

Would this be considered high risk? Are there any other precautions that we should take? We will obviously clean thoroughly after they leave.

Throughout this whole pandemic we have been far to the paranoid side due to our health issues, so I’m just trying to figure out what is reasonable.

Since one of you is high-risk health-wise, i think the precautions both you and the repairmen are taking are sufficient. The fact that they are wearing PPE is very good and shows that they are being sensitive to the situation and your health concerns - kudos to them. I have my painters in my house right now (whom I know well) and they're not masking, but I still stay in another room from the one in which they're working. I think you're being prudent and reasonable.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,905,520 times
I would definitely have the AC fixed before the weather gets any warmer. I think gloves and masks are enough.

I had to have an internet repairman come into my house a few weeks ago. He and I both wore masks, and he had disposable shoe covers. I was comfortable with that and didn't do any extra cleaning after he left.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:16 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Since one of you is high-risk health-wise, i think the precautions both you and the repairmen are taking are sufficient. The fact that they are wearing PPE is very good and shows that they are being sensitive to the situation and your health concerns - kudos to them. I have my painters in my house right now (whom I know well) and they're not masking, but I still stay in another room from the one in which they're working. I think you're being prudent and reasonable.
Agree with this. The work sounds necessary. Get it done before the repairs become even more complex and the amount of time they need to spend in your apartment increases.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 821,825 times
I think it is just fine. I have had repair men here two times in the last 3 months. They actually asked ME the screening questions (Have I been out of the country or come into close contact with someone who has been out of the country, do I have a fever, etc).

They wore gloves and masks and shoe covers. I felt comfortable about all of it.

I would only have repair men here if it was important, such as your a/c needing to be fixed. Routine maintenance I will wait a bit longer.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:

In my opinion worrying about repair people in you home is probably carrying things a little too far. I do understand it is a hard decision if you do have underlining conditions,but you do have to have your air working correctly. You might want to have them come in and try to be gone while they are working on the A/C

Old 06-25-2020, 06:57 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Thank you. I guess I’m just concerned with them
Working on our ac unit and breathing direction into our intake which is pushing that air out into all of our rooms, but I guess if they are wearing masks that helps a lot.

It’s so hard to not be paranoid. That’s what has been doing the most harm to me, the anxiety.
Anxiety is a pain, but knowledge is often the counterbalance. Remember, they are probably just as concerned about catching something from YOU as you are from them. They have to go to strangers' houses and deal with equipment through which air from germy homeowners has been traveling.

I am not sure that they would have to go near any intake, although I can't know what your setup is. A/C pushes heat out, it doesn't take air in. Again, they are likely in more danger of you giving them something, and their risk is probably very small, so yours even less.

Perhaps it will help the anxiety to view them as in the same situation as you and think of their health as well as your own, that you and they are in the same position of wanting to stay healthy. If everyone takes the proper precautions, it should be fine. You need the air conditioning in summer in NC, I'm sure! I can't stand the heat and humidity even here in NJ, 600 miles north of you, and I've been to NC and know how awful it can be there in summer!

Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,858,270 times
I live in NC in an apt complex. Here they have only allowed maintenance for emergencies, A/C being one of them, this would be using their maintenance people. If they contract that type of work out, then you’d need to check on what precautions they take. I had our own maintenance person come in once and he used standard precautions and I felt ok with it. I want to have some work done in my bathroom but have been putting it off waiting for a better time, but not sure now if that will change much. If they are using the apt maintenance people, I’d leave while they are there but not if using outside contractors (although that risk is higher with them IMO. It’s a risk vs reward situation but you have to have AC here so the work needs to be done. Just take every precaution and don’t worry too much about it. Just wear masks and do safe distancing (as far away as possible). You might want to post on the NC thread or specific city, you might get some good local suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness