Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 01:36 PM

761 posts, read 447,989 times

Advertisements

Recently we have heard there will be a renewed war on cancer. And then it occurred to me that, other than smoking and being exposed to carcinogens, one of the biggest risks is being overweight. That's because excess fat causes inflammation in the body and inflammation greatly increases the risk of getting cancer.

A recent book I read, "The Cancer Code", claims that for all the many decades and billions of dollars we have spent looking for for a cure for cancer, we have little to show for our effort. The author said there's been some successes but it only amounts to about 5 percent of cancer cases, as with childhood cancer etc..

Of course an effort to curb excess body fat would not likely win any popularity contest, but I believe it's badly needed. If many billions of dollars more are to be spent, why not spend some of that money on one of the big causes of cancer rather than trying to cure it after the fact.

Note: I take responsibility for this idea; it was not recommended by the author of "The Cancer Code".

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 03-04-2022 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 03:43 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked, weight and body fat control has been part of cancer prevention since forever. Obviously, in large part that's up to the patient, not the advising MD. Are you suggesting that the renewed war on cancer needs to include formulated weight control/loss aids?

Old 03-04-2022, 03:54 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
We have always addressed risk factors and contributing factors for cancer. We have made wonderful strides in one of the leading causal factors: tobacco usage.

"A Gallup poll has now revealed that the smoking rate has fallen to 16 percent, the lowest level on record since the question was first asked in 1944. Public smoking bans in many U.S. cities and states contributed to recent momentum in kicking the habit with rates among younger people declining dramatically since the turn of the century. In the early 2000s, 34 percent of Americans aged 18-29 said they smoked a cigarette in the past week and by 2018, that had fallen by more than half to 15 percent."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...h=1f6092523351

Old 03-05-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked, weight and body fat control has been part of cancer prevention since forever. Obviously, in large part that's up to the patient, not the advising MD. Are you suggesting that the renewed war on cancer needs to include formulated weight control/loss aids?
This could be argued forever based on your perception versus my perception because a lot depends on how much attention has been paid to this subject overall and how much attention has been paid to details. Yes, I'm sure there has been awareness of this for a long time and that's why I didn't say it was something new.

The same can be said about arteriosclerosis. It was discovered in the seventies that it could be stopped, controlled, and even reversed in many cases through dietary and other means. But every time I meet someone who has had bypass surgery, I ask them if they ever heard about it and they say no. There may be plenty of people who do know about it but that doesn't mean everyone knows about it.

Spending billions of dollars trying to find a cure for cancer has been around forever too but that's not going to stop them from spending billions more.

As far as exactly what should be done to help reduce excess fat in our population, I think education would be first on my list. (Due to time constraints, I'll have to continue on that idea later.)

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 03-05-2022 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-05-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
We have always addressed risk factors and contributing factors for cancer. We have made wonderful strides in one of the leading causal factors: tobacco usage.

"A Gallup poll has now revealed that the smoking rate has fallen to 16 percent, the lowest level on record since the question was first asked in 1944. Public smoking bans in many U.S. cities and states contributed to recent momentum in kicking the habit with rates among younger people declining dramatically since the turn of the century. In the early 2000s, 34 percent of Americans aged 18-29 said they smoked a cigarette in the past week and by 2018, that had fallen by more than half to 15 percent."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...h=1f6092523351
Yes, of course, there's not doubt about that. That's the biggest improvement ever made to reduce the number of people dying of cancer.

But I wonder why we not only haven't made any progress with people being overweight or obese, but we've actually been steadily getting worse over the years.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:38 AM

732 posts, read 603,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
As far as exactly what should be done to help reduce excess fat in our population, I think education would be first on my list.
Yeah, who would want that job? There is an army of idiots in this country who want Anthony Fauci to be charged criminally for trying to save their damn lives. Can you imagine any kind of official pronouncement that might start telling them they're also too fat? Remember what happened when Michelle Obama tried to get school kids fresh fruits and vegetables in their school lunches? Another Great Culture War broke out.

I mean, I agree with you. I'm just saying Fat America packs heat and weaponizes their semi-trucks now. We are in weird times.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:39 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Of course an effort to curb excess body fat would not likely win any popularity contest, but I believe it's badly needed. If many billions of dollars more are to be spent, why not spend some of that money on one of the big causes of cancer rather than trying to cure it after the fact.

Note: I take responsibility for this idea; it was not recommended by the author of "The Cancer Code".
I bet our cancer incident rates and death rates would plummet.

There are so many reasons that being overweight causes cancer -- I mean there are like 50 and also Carbs cause cancer and Diabetes.

It is the failure of the medical community that they don't treat obesity like covid. I mean they should be writing prescriptions for fat people to have time off from work so they can exercise and can have healthy meals prepare on the dime of the health insurance. It is a medical necessity - and good for all of us.

They should be lobbying the USDC to end processed foods.

But no.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:41 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Yeah, who would want that job? There is an army of idiots in this country who want Anthony Fauci to be charged criminally for trying to save their damn lives. .
He never did anything to save lives just exercise control.

Another example of the hypocracy of the medical profession. Covid was a fatty disease. Still they never stated the "science" and instead went with masks. Knowing it wouldn't save the fatties.

Mod note: Instead of "fatties" try saying "overweight" or "obese." (Same goes for "skinnies"--try saying "underweight" or "too thin." I'm not trying to be pc here but these words border on ridicule and that's not what this forum is for.

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-06-2022 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-05-2022, 10:44 AM

732 posts, read 603,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

Another example of the hypocracy of the medical profession. Covid was a fatty disease. Still they never stated the "science" and instead went with masks. Knowing it wouldn't save the fatties.
LOL. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:44 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

Other than being nasty about the "fatties"...maybe a bit of education on the relationship between obesity and the odds of getting COVID, being hospitalized with it, and dying from it.

It's not quite as big a factor as you might think, and risk is also increased for those on the other end of the spectrum (you know, the "skinnies"):
http://https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volu...e4.htm#F2_down

Oh, what was the alternative to masks - cut off the "fatties'" fat? Put them in jail on a starvation diet? And for the "skinnies" force-feed them? Seems like masks are a whole lot better than nothing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness